Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about main breaker

jmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
Last weekend I went on my second trip with my new 2013 shasta revere.
We ran into an issue. I was plugged into shore power 30amp service at the CG. It was pretty hot so the air was running. I went to use the microwave to pop some popcorn and we had a black out. At first I thought the CG was at capacity and there was some sort of surge. It turns out my main 30 amp breaker tripped. This was only running the AC. The microwave should not trip the main I am thinking it should have tripped the breaker for the microwave not the main. So it is going in for service at the dealer I bought it from this Sat to test all systems and see if there is a problem with my TT. I had the CG check the power at the site to make sure it was not dropping too low or spiking. It seemed pretty constant at 116.7 using a meter.

I have read of a lot of folks having this issue but it just does not make sense that a brand new trailer you cannot not run the AC and the microwave at the same time. My old 97mallard never missed a beat when doing so. I guess I may be expecting too much but I thought it would handle at least two appliances at one time.

Oh no smell or excessive heat coming from breaker either. Just a trip and shut off.

Thanks,
2013 Shasta Revere 26tb
18 REPLIES 18

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
No need to worry, nothing is wrong.

A microwave is a fairly inductive load, so is an air conditioner, and when the voltage sags slightly at the campground, the amperage demand increases.

microwave - maybe 13 amps

Air conditioner - 14 amps, low voltage maybe 16 amps

converter running at all times - maybe 1 - 6 amps

they add up to around 30 amps, and that is a conservative estimate. The main breaker will go because is is seeing more than 30 amps, the microwave breaker will not, since it is not seeing more than 15 amps.

Nothing wrong with your trailer, you are just at the edge of the capacity for a 30 amp service.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I run the 30 amp shore power for the rig and also run a 15 amp extension cord for the water heater and coffee maker. I can run my A/C and mircrowave at the same time, but if the fridge kicks-in.... pop goes the breaker!

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone said, nothing wrong with your rig, your just at your max power draw. During our delivery walk thru when we bought our TT they told us that, never run the A/C and Microwave or you will trip the main. My wife has forgotten twice and it has tripped the main both time. I must say, I have never thought about turning off the water heater. I will try that next time.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Don't blame your camper...

We just left there Saturday Morning after 8 days. St Andrews is notorious for low voltage during high demand. They upgraded a few sites in 2010 to 100 amp service but the volt meters show, the supply is still insufficient. We saw a low of 105 volts every day during peek heat and up to 118 volts when the rain moved through. Late at night, we could see 120 YAH!

This park has been left unmaintained for several years. The same pot holes and standing water you went through were there in 2009. They call themselves fixing the problem by dumping a few loads of limestone in the holes, they are back after the next rain. So much rain is their excuse but the rest of Panama City Beach is well groomed and no water standing. I send a letter to all my State Legislators and the Governor after each visit.

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
If you are only a 30 amp, you will need to shut off the AC or water heater when using the microwave or large draw appliances like a toaster or hair dryer. The AC alone probably draws around 15 amps. Throw in 3-4 amps for the converter and another 4-5 for the lights and you are getting close to the 30 amps. Turn on a TV or the fridge, and you maxxed out.

We just simply learned to walk over and temporarily turn off the hot water heater any time we ran something substantial like the microwave or vacuum or hair dryer.

Our unit has three TVS, two fridges, and too many lights. It's very easy to forget what's on and trip the breaker.

jmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I droppped it off at the dealer Sat. They are going to tes the system and fix a couple other small issues that need to be addressed. I am waiting for the phone call to go pick it up.

I will post the findings when I get it back.
2013 Shasta Revere 26tb

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will do the same thing. I ask the dealer about this the last time I was in. He advised turning the water heater OFF of electric when we run the AC. He said when you run the AC, Microwave and water heater you are at or near maxing out at 30amps. Will try this weekend and see it that works.
BTW, plugging into 50amp service will make no difference if your TT is a 30amp unit. You only have available 30amps once you come off of the adaptor
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

lc-12
Explorer
Explorer
The above OP still has only 30 amps of service regardless of the 50 amp plug.
The Service Panel in the RV determines the amount of amperage, in your case 30 amps.
The 50 amp adapter works in situations where the campground breaker may be bad.
On my unit we have a "sticky" on the microwave that says "turn AC OFF when using microwave!"
Nothing wrong with your rig.
I even added a couple of outlets inside my RV that are direct wired and separate from my RV service panel.
A cord plugs into the campground's 20 amp plug and I use this to run fans or a heater in the winter time.
By doing this I am not taking anything away from my 30 amp service panel.
Just an idea for you.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a 50 amp to 30 amp plug and use that. It worked for us in the Texas heat when the campground is full. Not as many campers using the 50 amp and we didn't get the same voltage drop as using the 30.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
I tripped the 30 amp breaker using the microwave and AC. When I thought about it there is the convertor load and the fridge and water heater were on electic. You never know whether the fridge and water heater are drawing power because they are on thermostats. Sometimes it is OK and sometimes not.
Brian

jmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all I appreciate the input. I am still going to have it checked just in case. But I agree with what is being said
2013 Shasta Revere 26tb

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
With the A/C and the microwave going you were at your capacity. Then add the load from your converter and possibly a load from the water heater and, bingo! Nothing wrong with your rig.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
St Andrews SP in Florida was full mid July.
Running the air conditioner, water heater and fridge on AC, never using the microwave, we would pop the main breaker about once a day. Leaving the fridge and water heater on propane helped cut that down.
After that we installed an AC voltmeter (less than $10) on the switch panel. It's not at all unusual for campground power to fall near or below 110v when everyone's running their air conditioners.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
When they checked the voltage was anything plugged in and operating?
My guess would be the voltage would drop to below 110 with AC running and converter operating for the 12 volts and charging the system Then you operate the microwave and it drops the voltage lower which increases the amperage.
I would buy one of the plug in 120 volt digital meters.
I am going to say they are not going to find anything wrong with your rig.

X2. AC and microwave draw would put you on the brink at least. If the converter was supplying a lot of 12v to lighting and charging the battery, you could well be over 30 amps. Why I like the Progressive Industries EMS unit I bought. The remote display constantly shows incoming voltage and the trailer's AC current amp draw in real time.