cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on accessing underside of TT?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco TT and am repairing damage from a water leak. I need to access the underside of the camper to remove any wet insulation. The underside is enclosed with corrugated plastic. How difficult is this to remove and get to the wet insulation and underside of the plywood flooring? How difficult is it to then put it all back together? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
plasticmaster wrote:
Yes, just trying to learn from those with similar experiences. Thank you so much to all of those providing positive feedback and insight.

Plasticmaster, I would recommend not making up hypothetical scenarios and using hypothetical questions.

Instead be open and upfront..

You could have stated that you were curious as to how one deals with the different types of underbelly materials in case of the need for repairs.. If one is easier to deal with than the other..

I have owned RVs long before this forum existed, I have learned everything I know by the seat of my pants..

I come here to offer as much help as possible but folks posing (pretending) to own something by asking endless loop type hypothetical questions that you have been asking just wastes peoples time, not just mine but your time.

You will learn much more if you own a RV and learn by the seat of the pants.. Then you will learn to deal with the problems one at a time as they happen..

RVs are not rocket science, fixing them does not require a masters degree, it does require you to dive in and do your own exploratory surgery, IE plunging a saw into a floor, ripping or cutting material away carefully until you find the problem... Then forming a plan to fix the problem and executing the plan.

You can spend your life asking hypothetical questions but never learn until you APPLY your knowledge and skills.

I learned real quick on my first TT to make lemonade from the rotted out lemon I bought for too much money, I applied that knowledge I gained from the first TT on my current TT..

If you really want a RV, buy one, then address the problems as they come, otherwise you will lose a lot of your time needlessly worrying about things that you will never run into.. Donโ€™t get all caught up in the marketing hype of material types, construction and such.. Buy what fits your needs and donโ€™t worry about the โ€œwhat ifโ€ scenarios.

Continuing to pretend and pose conflicting hypothetical questions will result in not only myself but others who you may find to be helpful down the road totally ignoring your real requests for help when you NEED the help the most.. And I am on that edge right now..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jframpey wrote:
Speaking of bored trolls! Wow! How rude... My take is this is a new member that has discovered the wealth of knowledge on this site and is trying to learn

Joe

Joe,

Did YOU bother to READ AND COMPARE the OTHER posts by plasticmaster?

Did you check how long plasticmaster has been a โ€œmemberโ€?

Plasticmaster is not a โ€œnew memberโ€ by any means.

After a while you tend to get a lot faster at realizing someone is pulling your leg..

Especially when they post very conflicting posts in a very short amount of time..

In this case plasticmaster started out with

โ€œI have a 2008 Jayco 28BHS that has formed a leak near the roof/side wall of the camper in the rear bunk bed area of the camper. So far, I can't find the leak, but I've gutted the whole area on the inside, so I know approximately where the water is coming in. I'm using fans and dehumidifier to dry it up. Anyhow, the water came down the inside of the walls and I've stripped everything down to the bare plywood floor. My question is what's under the floor? When I lay on the ground outside the camper and look at the underside, there's a black burlap type material that feels heavy in this area, but doesn't have this heavy feel on other parts of the underside of the camper. Is this wet material that I'm feeling? How do I access what's under the plywood floor? Do I do that from the underside and what all is under there? Also, I resealed everything that protrudes from the roof 5 months ago. The leak is not coming from any of those places. Any ideas where it could be coming from and what to do about moisture under the plywood floor? Thanks.โ€

Then posts this thread we are in which stated..

โ€œI have a Jayco TT and am repairing damage from a water leak. I need to access the underside of the camper to remove any wet insulation. The underside is enclosed with corrugated plastic. How difficult is this to remove and get to the wet insulation and underside of the plywood flooring? How difficult is it to then put it all back together? Thanks.โ€

I bolded the important parts which are two different types of material in question..

โ€œCorrugatedโ€ plastic is not the same material as โ€œblack burlap type materialโ€.

So WHICH IS IT?

You are welcome to call me a โ€œbored trollโ€ or โ€œrudeโ€ but I am not..

The OP COULD be considered a troll OR rude, just from the two above posts that I have quoted from the OP.. It is not nice to create the illusion of owning something in order to pose a hypothetical question multiple times..

The OP posted TWO different scenarios that conflict, no manufacturer would have used two DIFFERENT underbelly materials in the same year.

I take it from the conflicting posts that the OP does not own a trailer, otherwise would not have posted two conflicting posts.

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just trying to learn from those with similar experiences. Thank you so much to all of those providing positive feedback and insight.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of bored trolls! Wow! How rude... My take is this is a new member that has discovered the wealth of knowledge on this site and is trying to learn

Joe

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Do you have both Coroplast corrugated plastic and the woven material? Your other thread asks about woven material. Regardless, you need to get it removed and pull any water-logged insulation away from the floor.

It's only as difficult as you make it. There is nothing complex about it.

Post like this one.. HERE

Then OP posted THIS ?

Multiple trailers, what are you, a dealer? A bored troll?

And now on to covers HERE ???

Pretty much sounds a lot like someone who is sitting behind a keyboard "inventing" imaginary problems and scenarios to amuse themselves with the responses..

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned a 2010 Jayco, and my son having a 2012, I guess I could put in my .02 worth!!

To remove the coroplast, you have to take out the screws along the edge which go into the flange that the coroplast slides into, then bend down to pull out. It may be easier to just cut the panel along the crossmembers and then overlap when reinstalling a new piece. You should have the fabric attached to the subfloor above. Only insulation underneath that I found in our 2010 was a few thin sheets of fiberglass matting under the tanks. May have been intended as insulation or maybe only protection from wear or abrasion with the mounts and coroplast. There was no insulation under the fabric, just the subfloor. Never was into the space between the subfloor and actual interior floor, so don't know if Jayco put any insulation (other than dead air space) in that area.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might be surprised to find no insulation...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Removing it is not that tough. If you have a mechanics creeper it makes it much easier than skootching around on pavement or concrete.

Putting it back up is more difficult. Build a small "T" brace out of 2x4's to wedge under the plastic as you're trying to reinstall the screws.

Make sure you don't hit any propane, water, or electrical lines when you reinstall.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have both Coroplast corrugated plastic and the woven material? Your other thread asks about woven material. Regardless, you need to get it removed and pull any water-logged insulation away from the floor.

It's only as difficult as you make it. There is nothing complex about it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a couple of access points under my 5th wheel where I needed to get to some DC CABLE work areas. Thank goodness my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer doesn't have the under belly stuff.

Taking out what seemed to be a couple hundred of screws to get to things got old in a hurry...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the screws holding it up and its off. Mine has a few places where holes were filled with expanding foam insulation. Use a serrated knife to cut the foam as needed. Put up the coroplast with the screws and spray in more foam.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi