cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on TorkLift StableLoads

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
Any use TorkLift StableLoads? Website is http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/suspension/stableload#overview

Just wondering how good they are vs. a set of airbags for towing and occasional hauling use. Such as a cord of firewood.
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS
12 REPLIES 12

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
had them on my 04 duramax and the when we bought our 2015 I ordered a set the day we bought the truck IMHO they do what they claim, they are easy to engage and disegage on the chevy since the lower ones install between the helper and regular spring.

My springs were already drilled, just popped out the plastic bushing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I really wouldn't recommend trying to install them in the driveway. I tried that and almost got one drilled. I took it to a shop and the guy with the hoist fought them for over an hour. I tipped him $20.00 it was so hard. If your springs are predrilled they're pretty easy. I highly recommend them.

I installed them in the driveway (half driveway, half garage) and just used a Makita 18V drill. I put a 2x4 wood block on my floor jack against the back of the drill motor and just used a slow RPM while keeping constant pressure with the jack. Took about 20 minutes to drill all four only using two of the four supplied bits. I thought the process went smooth and much easier than I thought it would. JMHO
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has almost identical specs. I put them on my Ram 2500 in an attempt to reduce porposing. Together with a set of Bilsteins they work really well and are easy to deal with. Roads I had to slow to 45 on I can now take at 60! So far as engaging and disengaging, I do it while I'm hooking up and using the tongue jack. I really wouldn't recommend trying to install them in the driveway. I tried that and almost got one drilled. I took it to a shop and the guy with the hoist fought them for over an hour. I tipped him $20.00 it was so hard. If your springs are predrilled they're pretty easy. I highly recommend them.

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
My lower StableLoads work great. Much better than the Timbrens and airbags in my opinion.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I had lowers on my 2006 Dodge 2500 MegaCab. Before the StableLoads I had installed Firestone Ride Rite airbags (first), then a Hellwig BigWig sway bar (second) all trying to get the right ride hauling my truck camper and towing my MC trailer. After installing the Stableloads - that's all I needed - no air in the airbags after that and a great ride. I removed them from the 2006 Dodge thinking I was going to put them on my new (to me) 2015 RAM 3500 SRW and low and behold they won't fit on the new truck due to zero clearance between the spring pack and the overload spring.

I highly recommend them albeit they are a bit pricey for what you get.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to increase load, just help make my towing experience easier.
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of the lower units and will be putting them on at some point. Got them when I was towing with my 1500 Silverado, then I bought the 2500 Silverado. Seems to be a super easy install, so I plan on seeing how much of a difference they make.

I am not near my limits by any means, but if it gives more ride control and comfort, I am up for it! I tow a 36' travel trailer, weights in around 9,000 depending on the trip and around 1,200 lbs of tongue weight.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I use lower stableloads. What a difference they make. I haul a TC. I was wondering if anyone uses them for towing TTs. Mine get stuck sometimes and of course they are dirty, but they work well.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with WCJeep. Stableloads do more for me than Airbags. Airbags "unload" the suspension. Stable loads engage the overload spring sooner, making the suspension work.
Airbags created a pogo-stick ride, which annoyed me.
Bob

Bedlam
I use both the upper and lower StableLoads which allowed me carry 7000 lbs on the rear axle with OEM suspension.

You will an air line in the first photo for Firestone air bags. I used the bags along with the StableLoads when rear axle weight was closer to 8000 lb.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Upper or lower SL? I have both. Installed last year and just couple months ago trimmed down the uppers as they were in constant contact w/ aux spring. Makes for rough ride. Still have to trim more, but overall, have cut them almost in half or more. lower ones work well. Took some doing getting right gap w/ washers. Can be a dirty job engaging/disengaging them. For some reason though, from last season to this, they seem to turn very hard to engage. Not sure if truck spring settled some thus reduced the gap and have to take some spacers (washers) out or not. Plus, being here in upstate NY where salt is used quite heavily in the winter, the lowers got seized up some. My truck did not come w/ the camper pkg or rear swaybar. Overall, very happy w/ them despite the issues. Had Tmbrens on old truck.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I had airbags before the Stableloads were invented. Added Stableloads. Airbags are no longer necessary. I still air up the bags somewhat to prevent inversion damage. No longer use high pressure.