cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Auxillary" Fuel tank vs installing a new/larger tank

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - I have a 2017 Ram 2500 w/Cummins with the 6'4 bed, and just purchased our first fifth wheel.

I'd like to add fuel capacity for towing and have seen a few threads here with some discussion about transfer cases etc.

I live in CA and first couple places I have called asking about "gravity fed transfer case" said it was "frowned upon in CA - like most emission, tuning, etc for diesels".

So I can put install a 50g auxiliary tank (transferflow TRAX 3) that comes with a nice LCD display and controls with automatic fuel transfer but installed runs close to $2500.

I've also looked at replacing the OEM tank and looks like 52g is about the biggest thing available. That installed is also around $2k.

I don't mind spending the money, I am hesitant to put in the auxiliary tank because of the space it will take up. The truck has a B&W turnover gooseneck bed setup which I plan to use with an Anderson hitch.

I'm also hoping maybe there's something (besides just a few 5g portable cans) that might allow me to not have the tank in the bed when we don't need it (which will certainly be 90% of the time).

Is there another option? And is anyone in CA that has had a gravity fed tank installed (about half the price of the TRAX 3 system)?

Thank you, sorry for the long question.
31 REPLIES 31

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure yes ... http://titanfueltanks.com/products/xxl-replacement-tanks/dodge-crew-cab-short-bed-7030113

Just trying to see who actually can get one is being a challenge!

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
jeffjcalweb wrote:
Thanks for the continued feedback. Just got back looking for a quote on a Titan tank (52gallon)... like many things right now, inventory is non existent so have to see what the wait time is and that is where I'm currently leaning towards, cost w/installation is just about $1500.

And I realize when I said "26g" for current size that I was not accurate. I don't let tank drop past 1/4 so "26g" is more of the usable size of the tank when I'm thinking of capacity.

Also just a FYI, doesn't change anything and certainly won't shock anyone familiar with California and CARB - you can't get a gravity fed tank installed by a shop. Another "bonus" CARB policy for us all!

Are you sure the 52 Titan will fit? I think it is for the long bed. I too was looking for a bigger tank for my 2017 RAM short bed 3500. I was told they don't make a replacement tank. Did you check out the spare tire tank?

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the continued feedback. Just got back looking for a quote on a Titan tank (52gallon)... like many things right now, inventory is non existent so have to see what the wait time is and that is where I'm currently leaning towards, cost w/installation is just about $1500.

And I realize when I said "26g" for current size that I was not accurate. I don't let tank drop past 1/4 so "26g" is more of the usable size of the tank when I'm thinking of capacity.

Also just a FYI, doesn't change anything and certainly won't shock anyone familiar with California and CARB - you can't get a gravity fed tank installed by a shop. Another "bonus" CARB policy for us all!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel fewer daily miles now than in the past, but then it was common for us to travel 550-600 miles in a day. A 50 gallon tank would still have had us stopping to fuel up while towing. That's why we went with a smaller auxiliary tank. We carry about 70 gallons total which is perfect for us.

If you travel shorter distances, then a larger tank isn't as necessary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 17 ram though a long bed. Not long ago Put in a titan tank 55 gallons I think it is.
Wasnโ€™t willing to give up bed space for an extra tank or to have several smaller loose ones in the bed been quite happy so far
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Titan tanks are made of plastic. Transferflow tanks are aluminized steel so yes they are heavier. Both hold about the same (50 gallons and both are midship replacement tanks). T-flow are stronger, yet both can be installed right in your garage. Given their size, can easily go 300-400 miles before you need fuel or next CG, drop RV and buzz to fuel up w/o RV and still have plenty for reserve-----just in case. I had 2 T-flows, installed myself and worked great. Best part as well was still able to utilize front of hitch for stuff.....IE: firewood.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
jeffjcalweb wrote:
Thank you for the replies. The OEM tank is 26gallons, so not a lot of range there. I didn't want an 8' bed because most of the time, there is no trailer/hitch and the 6'4 is perfect for everyday use... so the challenge was seeing if there was an option/solution that I hadn't seen. Guess it is either install a new tank (52g) or just deal with the auxillary tank in the bed.

Thank you for taking the time to help out a new forum member.

I have the same truck and the fuel tank is 32 gallons - I have put in over 31 in when it was near empty.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ"gravity fed transfer case" said it was "frowned upon in CA - like most emission, tuning, etc for diesels"

Arenโ€™t gravity fed axillary tanks illegal in California?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may want to check out S&B fuel tanks. Read some pretty good reviews about them.

S&B Tanks
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jeffjcalweb wrote:
Thank you for the replies. The OEM tank is 26gallons, so not a lot of range there. I didn't want an 8' bed because most of the time, there is no trailer/hitch and the 6'4 is perfect for everyday use... so the challenge was seeing if there was an option/solution that I hadn't seen. Guess it is either install a new tank (52g) or just deal with the auxillary tank in the bed.

Welcome . If it were me ,and I too have the short bed Ram, I would go with a under the bed Titan, and be done ,no messing with auxiliary tanks, needing to be filled ,and then transferred to the OE tank , fill just the one . 52 gallons or whatever is nearly 400-500 mile range towing , if you can't find fuel in that distance, you are really off the beaten path ๐Ÿ™‚

My truck holds right at 30 gallons, I plan my trips, and there has been plenty , and thousands of miles ,and never has been a problem. I personally do not want to carry another 250-300 lbs of fuel in the bed, another 150 lbs or so, that I could deal with , 50 gallons total .

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Your quote for an auxiliary tank seems high. And Iโ€™m pretty sure that the only instances you run into trouble with gravity fed is in gas. Not diesel. So I would dig a little deeper there.

Tough call with the short bed. I love my auxiliary tank - one of the best upgrades Iโ€™ve done. Itโ€™s nice to stop where I want to stop not where I need to.

26 gallon tank on a HD truck is insane. If i were you I would probably go with the replacement tank.

And, Iโ€™m sure you will soon have someone post a photo of their single 5 gallon diesel can stating it is an appropriate substitution for either a replacement or auxiliary tank......:S
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are several 30-40 gal slip tanks that are 9-12โ€ deep. Minimizes how much bed space is lost. At about 1/4 the cost of replacement tanks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thereโ€™s 100 threads about it on here. Reading a few may help your indecision.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
How many gallons is your stock diesel tank? and what is the fuel range now?

If you really need the extra range I would replace the tank with the larger aftermarcket tank.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.