cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rainy Day Fantastic Fan Installation Blunder???

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Did I goof up?

I hopped up on the camper in what passes for a dry day in Seattle --- only a slow drizzle, and removed the roof vent and installed a Fantastic Fan Vent.

Prior to starting, I glanced at the instructions which showed a gasket under the flange. I assumed the "gasket" was butyl tape, which is what I used.

When I got finished, I realized the foam packing material was stamped out in a square pattern and the foam was, in fact, the gasket referred to in the installation drawing.

Am I okay or did I blow it?, buytl tape instead of OEM foam gasket??
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm
9 REPLIES 9

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Fantastic Fan last week and, going by the You Tube video I referenced, I installed the foam gasket between the ceiling and the trim piece inside the RV. I did not see any directions relating to its use. I used butyl tape between the roof and the fan flange and placed Eternabond tape over the edges and screw holes. Can't imagine that foam gasket providing much protection against leaking.
This is the You tube video I referenced.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I think you did yourself a favor.

I used the foam gasket and had a leak.

I used dicor and had a leak.

I used dicor and ha a leak.

I used butyl tape and it's been fine ever since. After about a week of letting the tape quit oozing, covered the screws and seam with a dicor self leveling. The dicor cracked after a couple of years, but part of my annual routing is to paint the dicor seams with an rubber paint which fills in the cracks.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Agree. You actually did a better job not using the foam gasket and using the butyt tape.
On a drier day unless you had, didnt mention, should caulk the screws and perimeter.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That foam gasket serves no purpose other than to create a place for a leak.
I installed two FF's 13 years ago on my TT without the silly foam things and they are still water tight.
Your good to go!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't use the foam. Just the butyl tape and a thick layer of dicor. No way this will leak if the dicor was applied well.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No one ever looks at your roof anyway so a goop job is acceptable.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly as d3500ram describes.... I tightened up the screws, then let it rest and ooze, then caulked it (screw heads and flange edge) with Geocel Proflex RV sealant.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
If in question just pookie it up with some Dicor or similar.

Whenever I do repairs (replacement or otherwise) I use butyl and sealant.) Let the butyl seep or push out and trim it off and then pookie it up with sealant.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you are fine. Good luck with yours, I'm on my 3rd motor and fan assembly. FF (Lippert) warrants them no issue but the motor is a sealed (welded case) so when it poops, there is nothing to even look at..except a new assembly. It's not an easy replacement either (when done from the inside because the mount screws face upward, not downward.

Hope yours runs okay.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB