cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM 3500 DRW W/6.4 Hemi

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a 2016 RAM 3500 DRW w/ 6.4 HEMI gas engine 3:73 gears with 10K miles and 4wd locally by private owner for a smokin' price. I may want to put a AF 992 on it and tow my enclosed 7x14' trailer with quad. This truck is one year old and has never been in salt. Opinions?

Please confine your comments to this combo and NOT turn this into a AF vs. Lance or Ford/RAM vs. GM or gas vs. diesel contest. These threads can get out of hand in very short order. I also plan on carrying my short box AF 811 temporarily for the remainder of this year, until finances allow a 992 or equivalent, I already realize the pitfalls/shortcomings of doing this but it would be temporary.

I hope Bedlam chimes in on this as I value his thoughts as well as what others have to contribute.
Thanks,
TG

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

55 REPLIES 55

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Just to keep it in perspective, mileage around 7 to 9 mpg will keep you in the gasser Class A range. When you see the interstates devoid of them, then you know that gas would be too expensive for the rig you are considering.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion you will be very disappointed going from a SRW diesel to a DRW gasser. You can analyze everything until the cows come home but the simple fact is overall it will be a downgrade for you. I'm not saying a gasser is bad, in fact it will have enough power and do the job, but I wouldn't do it. Well, actually I did do it, and I'm back to diesel.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each time somebody post mpg without speed he was driving to get it- I feel like lied to.
But that just me.

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill,
I did read that TCM article and they did carry a AF 990 that weighed 5,185 lbs. and claimed they averaged 10-10.5 mpg. My GM Duramax will get 12-13 mpg with my AF 811 sometimes less depending on terrain.
Thanks for you comments and info.

Here's my existing TC rig with drift boat.

Honda EU2000

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I just found a 2016 RAM 3500 DRW w/ 6.4 HEMI gas engine 3:73 gears with 10K miles and 4wd locally by private owner for a smokin' price. I may want to put a AF 992 on it and tow my enclosed 7x14' trailer with quad. This truck is one year old and has never been in salt. Opinions?

Please confine your comments to this combo and NOT turn this into a AF vs. Lance or Ford/RAM vs. GM or gas vs. diesel contest. These threads can get out of hand in very short order. I also plan on carrying my short box AF 811 temporarily for the remainder of this year, until finances allow a 992 or equivalent, I already realize the pitfalls/shortcomings of doing this but it would be temporary.

I hope Bedlam chimes in on this as I value his thoughts as well as what others have to contribute.
Thanks,
TG

Truck Camper Magazine purchased a new 6.4 Ram dually for their camper. Basically they love the truck, not the fuel mileage. You might check out their assessment of the truck at Truck Camper Magazine. I suspect if you got 10 mpg with the camper you would be happy.

I think they also did a review on hauling an A/F with it as well...
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
The hemi will have no problem hauling that load. It won't need 4.10's. Press the tow/haul button. It will downshift and spin 4000-5000rpm on the upgrades, that is were it makes power. Those are nice trucks.
I have bought new hemi Rams in 2009,2011,2012,2014, and 2017, so I do have some experience with them.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
I just purchased a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW gasser. We currently are hailing our 11 foot Amerigo with a weight of approx. 3000 lbs. We are averaging around 10-11 mpg and have zero issues with lack of power. It carries the camper with complete ease.

Thanks for that mileage and power info. My 811 probably weighs 1,000 lbs. more but I really appreciate you taking the time to post your own experience. What gear ratio do you have?

I just visited your website.....The truck I'm looking at appears to be just like yours except for the color..

TG

Honda EU2000

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
Trout, if you do buy it, run it some with stock gears and see how well you like it.

Towpro,
Absolutely......great point! I'm as cheap as the next guy:?......Gearing can be changed at any time if I don't like the 3:73s. I guess my biggest concern is the power of the HEMI and being able to carry my TC and occasionally tow my 7x14' enclosed trailer.
Thanks........

Honda EU2000

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW gasser. We currently are hailing our 11 foot Amerigo with a weight of approx. 3000 lbs. We are averaging around 10-11 mpg and have zero issues with lack of power. It carries the camper with complete ease.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Trout, if you do buy it, run it some with stock gears and see how well you like it.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I think that combination will work for the OP. If he starts to travel the Rockies more often, I do think the 4.10's would be better suited for the gasser. I doubt he would lose any mileage doing this gear swap unless he drives fast while unloaded.

The payload thing between a gasser and diesel is bunk. The weight changes up front, but the rear axle weight remains about the same - I don't know anyone with a cabover heavy enough to worry about front axle weight.

Carrying the AF811SB on a long bed is no issue. If the OP already has a SuperTruss for his GM, it should be the same length needed to carry an AF992 on a long bed. The OP will need to buy new tiedowns and receiver, but the FastGuns can be used on the new truck.

Bedlam,
Thanks for your input. Yes I do have a 36" SuperTruss and FastGuns on my GM. I've priced a new SuperHitch and tie downs. I'm going to call the local Ring and Pinion Shop for an estimate on 4:10 gearing, which I think may be the way to go with the HEMI.

I like the AF 992 but I haven't actually been able to see one in person and according to AF it weighs about 350 lbs more than my 811 (dry weight). I am not interested in a 990 as it's just a stretch version of my 811. Truck camper dealers are pretty scarce here in MI. Still haven't made a decision on the RAM yet.

TG

Honda EU2000

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The payload thing between a gasser and diesel is bunk. The weight changes up front, but the rear axle weight remains about the same - I don't know anyone with a cabover heavy enough to worry about front axle weight.

Not unless your concerned with GVWR for braking etc.

Agree on all else.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my review of the Ford 6.2

Ford 6.2 L gas with a heavy camper

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I would say run away fast! I bought a low mile Ram DRW 4x4 with the V-10 gasser. Worse thing I ever owned! About 5-6 mpg with a load & hit 13 once empty @ 55 mph! I had all the power I ever wanted, quite, smooth but just couldn't stand putting gas into it. Beside the fact that the engine wasn't worth %&(^. I'd stay away from any Mopar gas engine, traded it on a Dodge DRW 4x4 5.7 Cummins & have never regretted it. Spend the extra & get the diesel!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
mkasner wrote:
I had the Hemi 6.4L 3500 in a SRW and with the camper only (no towing) the best we ever saw was 7mpg hauling the camper around. Never again. I don't think I would want to tow anything along with hauling a camper on that whole package. We had the 3.73 rear end as well and you would definitely want the 4:10s

That's terrible mileage, my truck and camper in my sig, worst 9 mpg best 11mpg. We average 10 mpg, hand calculated, and my camper, ready to go with water weights 4,880 lbs.. I keep my speed between 60-62 mph.