cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram Box Creating a Problem

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who is supposed to pick up his Grand Design 388M tomorrow. They were installing his slider hitch in the bed of his Ram today. But he got a call and they said since he has a Ram Box, they have to install a set-up where the pivot point is at the connection of the pin box and the camper itself instead of down at the hitch.

I have never heard of this. Does this sound legit. I didn't know a Ram box existed and I certainly have never heard of this type of hitch.
6 REPLIES 6

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Sidewinder and works fine. I do find it easier to back up than "normal" hitch.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
Would the sidewinder have any effect on stability or sway with the pivot point no longer being over the axel but 2 ft behind? It seems to me that was where they got the "better to tow than a trailer" saying came from. What say you folks?

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my opinion the Sidewinder is the best option. Some slider hitches are too wide to work with the narrow Rambox. The Sidewinder is automatic and has several benefits over any other potential solution. Hookup at sharp angles, backside of the pin box cannot hit the truck sides, turning response when backing up will be faster and the fiver will not cut inside the truck rear tires as bad when turning a corner. Routine maintenance will probably be less than with an auto slider.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
for sure the rambox does complicate 5th wheel setups. I think he needs to talk to a hitch shop and ensure he gets good advice before proceeding. I didn't even think ram recommended 5th wheel setups with the rambox but perhaps there are options now. Hope he can get fixed up ok.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typical hitch with a Ram Box would more then likely end up with pin box mount/back of pin box hitting the Ram Box and causing damage

Sidewinder pin box with rotating turret is a good option for shortbed trucks vs sliding hitch (and for that Ram Box) due to all pivoting occurring back at pin box mount

Some have reported the 4 bolts that attach the turret coming loose and/or the 'wedge' that locks king pin in place to 5th wheel hitch loosening.

Some Locktite Blue on thread bolts will prevent that and it easily breaks loose when needed with hand tools

Also that Sidewinder Pin Box can be used as conventional by installing 2 3/4" bolts at back of box that locks it from turning and then moving wedge to 'stow position'

Then again.......not many options with that Ram Box

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update. Looks to be a Sidewinder pin box. Wild looking set-up. I've heard of them but never knew much about them.

Any negatives?