cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram owners; Ram 1500/2500 ownership question

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing a bit of research about my next truck. We are looking at an older Airstream to restore for retirement travel; weighs about 7,000 loaded. The trailer will be paid for cash, so we have a good bit to spend on a more comfortable truck. I would love to have a 3500 Longhorn Mega dually, but can't afford that $72k entry point; about $50k is closer to our reality. We are looking at the Longhorn 5.7 Hemi, either in the 1500 or 2500; either are more than capable to pull this, and are very close in price (both 4x2)- only about $1k or so apart as built (once current incentives come into play). We could go much cheaper, but like the comfort and features of the LH enough to justify spending the extra cash (this will be our last major purchase before retirement). No fancy extras like the moon roof, air suspension or Rambox.

75% of ownership will be standard duties; commuting, errands, groceries, pulling a small boat, hardware store runs, etc, so the 1500 would be better suited for daily use. However, I've always wanted a Mega, and it would be an awesome towing vehicle; I just cringe at the thought of unloaded fuel economy with that beast; the 1500 isn't exactly a hybrid, either, but should be on par with the 6.7 I sold last year, or at least 50% better than the 2500 unloaded (towing mileage will suck either way). Both have positives and negatives.

In either case I would like to hear from 1500 and 2500 owners (trim excluded) about your experiences.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***
41 REPLIES 41

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
If it's going to be your last major vehicle purchase before retirement, as ours was, you need to consider the diesel. If nothing else, it's got longevity, as compared to a gasser. 2500 is going to be a little better ride with the rear coil springs as compared to the 3500 SRW w/leaf springs. Not a lot of difference in price between the two. Just be sure to get what makes you and your co-pilot happy and comfortable, cause you're gonna have it a long time. Good luck!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mikeh449 wrote:
longhorn only in texas you can get big horn everyhere

Longhorn is a high trim level that is available nationwide. Lone Star is what they call the Big Horn package in Texas.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get max care with the diesel... I did with my 2014.

But, you've got your reasons for no diesel. I still suggest 3/4 ton.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
longhorn only in texas you can get big horn everyhere

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I seriously question how a 1500 with the same engine as a 2500 is going to get 50% better fuel mileage. I suspect the two trucks will be extremely close in mileage towing or not. Assuming they have the same gear ratio. The engines are the same, the driver is the same, the body is basically the same. Why would the MPG be so much better?
I had a 1500 Dodge for 13 years. It was a great truck but I'll never buy another 1500. A 2500 or 3500 truck is superior in every way for anything you would really need a truck for. It's not just about tow rating but how comfortable is the ride with the trailer in tow? How well does the truck handle with the trailer in tow? How long do the truck's components last under the stress of towing?
By the way, if you get the 2500 I would look hard at the 6.4. I test drove one in a 2500 and it was a great engine. The truck was extremely responsive, smooth, and quiet.

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
I'm asking opinions from both 1500 and 2500 owners; each has their merits and drawbacks, and more information only helps. The only certainty is the powertrain and trim package. Again, NO diesels.

A lesser issue is availability. We can find 1500 LHs all day long very close to what we want; a Hemi Mega LH 4x2 is more rare than a Veyron (nationwide search found none available) and would have to be ordered. Not in any way saying this would be a deal breaker, just something to consider.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Since he is towing an Airstream after retirement and that is when they will be towing the 10,000 miles not now ("we will be towing maybe 10k a year once we hit the road, and only a few weeks total before retirement"). Beings the Airstream is aerodynamic like my boat, towing it with the 5.7 will not be an issue at all. I'm towing a 6600# boat and is not a problem for my EcoD and I was doing that without any brakes on the boat trailer (unknown to me).

Sounds to me like the OP has already made up his mind and just wanted a little reinforcement on his decision.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
norfla71 wrote:
Considering we will be towing maybe 10k a year once we hit the road, and only a few weeks total before retirement, the 5.7 should do just fine.

We'll have to drive both for longer than a couple of minutes before deciding.

Towing that much I would encourage you to look at the 2500. Half tons are great for occasional towing, but 10K miles a year is work. The 3/4 ton is designed to work and will be more stable and more stout than the half ton.

One concern about the 5.7 engine is that Ram gives them a lower GVWR (8800 lbs I think) than the 6.4 or 6.7 engines. While its still a lot higher rating than the half ton, you are losing about 1100 lbs in payload with the smaller gas engine. It doesn't sound like much now, but if you tow often, its nice to bring extra stuff with you.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a new 2500 or 3500 Ram diesel. Why settle for less?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
No diesel. Not only for the price premium, but the long term costs with possible issues related to modern diesel emissions. My 6.7 had nothing but issues when it hit 90k, and I don't feel like saving up $4k for every major repair that may come. If still offered, you can get the Max Care warranty, which you can't on the diesel.

We want the Longhorn. Much more comfortable than a Laramie, and (more importantly) I want one, and have for years. I also want new; every used truck I've owned has had issues, some major, bought from reputable dealers. We're keeping it, and I want to know who did all the maintenance.

The 6.4 may be an option, but I'm trying to keep it down below a certain price point. Though less than $2k for the option, that gets me all the extra cost options. Considering we will be towing maybe 10k a year once we hit the road, and only a few weeks total before retirement, the 5.7 should do just fine.

We'll have to drive both for longer than a couple of minutes before deciding.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
While the Ram 1500 is a great driving truck, they are not the best for towing that much. The brakes on the 2500 are much better (although they do take more pedal pressure) than the ones on the half ton, you get real LT tires from the factory, and the truck feels a lot more solid than the 1500. I love my 2500 Laramie 4x4.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, how many actual miles a year are you planning to tow? All things considered, the 3/4 ton truck is a better platform for towing, but a half ton should be able to handle 7000 lbs without a problem.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
norfla71 wrote:
I've been doing a bit of research about my next truck. We are looking at an older Airstream to restore for retirement travel; weighs about 7,000 loaded. The trailer will be paid for cash, so we have a good bit to spend on a more comfortable truck. I would love to have a 3500 Longhorn Mega dually, but can't afford that $72k entry point; about $50k is closer to our reality. We are looking at the Longhorn 5.7 Hemi, either in the 1500 or 2500; either are more than capable to pull this, and are very close in price (both 4x2)- only about $1k or so apart as built (once current incentives come into play). We could go much cheaper, but like the comfort and features of the LH enough to justify spending the extra cash (this will be our last major purchase before retirement). No fancy extras like the moon roof, air suspension or Rambox.

75% of ownership will be standard duties; commuting, errands, groceries, pulling a small boat, hardware store runs, etc, so the 1500 would be better suited for daily use. However, I've always wanted a Mega, and it would be an awesome towing vehicle; I just cringe at the thought of unloaded fuel economy with that beast; the 1500 isn't exactly a hybrid, either, but should be on par with the 6.7 I sold last year, or at least 50% better than the 2500 unloaded (towing mileage will suck either way). Both have positives and negatives.

In either case I would like to hear from 1500 and 2500 owners (trim excluded) about your experiences.

14 MPG empty with the 4.7 L V8, mega cab 4X4. 13 MPG at 11,200# GCW. This is the 1500, 2008 model.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Check prices at Dennis Dillon. I think the HD is far and away the better choice - you give up very little comfort and driveability for a ton more capability. Plus it future proofs you in case you want to upgrade in the future. I drive mine daily and have no issues, and it gets pretty good fuel economy.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can get a new mega cab diesel for about $50k if you lower your trim standards.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold