cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram Rear Diff Fluid Change

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed out the rear diff fluid on my Ram at 20k miles. Why on earth did Ram not put a drain plug on the rear diff cover? It turned a 10 minute job into an hour job having to take all those bolts out. Still a very easy DIY maintenance item but I may look into an aftermarket cover with a drain in it the next time I change the fluid out.

I do think the first change is the most critical one because there should be less grinding now that the gears are broken in.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
33 REPLIES 33

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I agree. Idk what the factory fluid looked like on my 07, but after 80kmi on Amsoil 75-90, it was not very dark, no sludge, burnt, very little on the magnet. Mostly unloaded driving.
The front at the same mileage looked like new. Still haven't changed it. Guess I got about 130k on that front oil. Prolly should change that!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Weird, Ram is putting c rap oil in the trucks.
Here I thought I was just being all OCD by changing out factory fluids quickly on new or newer vehicles. Guess it's the right thing to do...

From my experience with AMZ/OIL 75-110 going over 50K and towing 29K combined for over 1/2 the miles and coming out golden brown and the STUFF Moper is using comes out DARK brown and inside the cover looks horrible and the fluid tests BAD I am saying the MOPAR STUFF is not up to par.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weird, Ram is putting c rap oil in the trucks.
Here I thought I was just being all OCD by changing out factory fluids quickly on new or newer vehicles. Guess it's the right thing to do...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. My truck has been in 2 collision shops from major hail storms in Texas last April. Long story. Been out of state too since June at a seasonal sight. Will Take it to dealer to do since truck has 21,000 miles.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine at 22k kms (approximately 14k miles) and the truck had been feeling grabby while towing for approximately 2k kms. My truck has had many more towing miles than solo, however. The fluid definitely looked like it needed replacement.

I used Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear and the grabbing is gone. The truck actually seems to have less friction which is really noticeable while coasting.

I found the job quite simple with the reusable gasket.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a MagHytec I took off my 11 Dually from what I have been told it will not fit the RAM with real air ride. I had no issue removing the bolts and letting mine drain thoroughly and wiping out the inside and bolting the cover back on and re filling. I do like the fill plug has a gasket as does the cover, both re usable. I like to see the condition of the gears especially on the first change.

Just flushed my '16, 3500 with air suspension this past week. There are two threaded rods that replace two pan cover bolts. These two rods are used to secure the air line tubing distribution valve to the diff. cover. You have to remove two nuts from the threaded rod and then remove the threaded rod from the diff. cover. I believe you could just reuse those threaded rods on the new cover however.

I had only 12500 miles on the truck but the rear was chattering somewhat when making turns. After replacing the diff. fluid that seemed to cure the chattering.

My fluid was toast I changed at 24k. It 20 started chattering at 20k. IMHO the Mopar fluid for synthetic issub par. Blackstone labs showed viscosity was shot on both tests. Yes I should have changed at 20k but.....
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I just changed out the rear diff fluid on my Ram at 20k miles. Why on earth did Ram not put a drain plug on the rear diff cover?

I haven't looked closely at my '14 RAM2500. But, on my old Chevy 2500HD it used an AAM 10.5" axle that had a drain plug with 3/8" square socket drive threaded in the bottom of the center section. Is there not one on the 11.5" AAM axles?

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^It may have come with synthetic, the warning may simply be a heads-up for when you change the fluid to make sure you replace it with synthetic.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed that the manual for my 2016 F150 suggests using synthetic dif oil if towing frequently near the max tow rating or in hot weather. I assume that means that the drug did not come with synthetic fluid which is dissappointing since I purchased the max payload package. Since I am towing heavy I plan to do that soon along with putting a different cover on with drainplug and cooling fins. I feel that the truck should have come with everything recommended in the manual for what it was obviously purchased to do.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a MagHytec I took off my 11 Dually from what I have been told it will not fit the RAM with real air ride. I had no issue removing the bolts and letting mine drain thoroughly and wiping out the inside and bolting the cover back on and re filling. I do like the fill plug has a gasket as does the cover, both re usable. I like to see the condition of the gears especially on the first change.

Just flushed my '16, 3500 with air suspension this past week. There are two threaded rods that replace two pan cover bolts. These two rods are used to secure the air line tubing distribution valve to the diff. cover. You have to remove two nuts from the threaded rod and then remove the threaded rod from the diff. cover. I believe you could just reuse those threaded rods on the new cover however.

I had only 12500 miles on the truck but the rear was chattering somewhat when making turns. After replacing the diff. fluid that seemed to cure the chattering.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Don't the GM and Ram use the same AAM axle?

Yep, the 11.5". Different diff covers though. I think the LSD setup is different too or at least I recall seeing somewhere that some GM guys would swap in the Ram setup.

If they are using the same differential housing then GM is drilling and tapping the bottom. Both my differential covers have a plug about 1/3 of the way up for filling and verifying level. The bottom of the housing is drilled/tapped with a flush plug.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I like to inspect the wear and the pattern so no biggie removing the cover. I also tightened the lash and carrier a little bit the last time I had it off. I did drill and tap the trans case for a drain plug but I still remove a pto cover to inspect and clean the magnet. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Don't the GM and Ram use the same AAM axle?

Yep, the 11.5". Different diff covers though. I think the LSD setup is different too or at least I recall seeing somewhere that some GM guys would swap in the Ram setup.

Mine is 11.8" :B