cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram truck problems ?

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how to title this post but just looking for problems with ram trucks such as the stuff that GM chevys and Gmc have had over the years such as the current Chevy shake or vibration problems or some I have had myself like the transfer case pump rub, intermediate steering shaft issues,drive shaft spline binding , overheating LBZ duramax, brake and transmission lines rotting out . Or fords 6.0 problems . The only common issues I can find for ram / dodge are front end problems including tire wear I am guessing with the diesels , some earlier transmission problems and rear wheel well rot . Have been a GM guy for years but thinking back not sure why. Anyway just doing some research
Thanks
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
60 REPLIES 60

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Ram 2500 CTD. I only have 42,000 on it. Besides a couple recalls which seem to affect everything these days it's been virtually trouble free. I had to clean my EGR valve. No biggie, only took about 1hr to do besides the soak time.

42,000 doesn't seem like much but I only use it for part of the year to tow our 5th wheel and the rest of the time it's a short errand daily driver. Even with the pre DEF it does fine with short hops.

Hard to complain with 4.5 years of use and no major problems and only the EGR valve cleaning.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Never had any problems with my 2011 while I owned it, other than frequent regens. Haven't yet had any problems with my 2016.

I did have the usual recalls with my 2014 6.4L, and a phantom check engine light for a while, but it never caused me any issues beyond a bit of hassle.

I wish my Dad's luck with another brand was as good as mine with Ram. He might still be RVing with us, rather than completely out of the lifestyle. But that's not germane to this topic.

Everyone's got anecdotes. Friends, cousins, brothers, parents, etc. Mine with Ram are good. May not mean anything to anyone else, but it's good enough for me.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
Me Again wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Interesting how people quote problems that occurred on 6.0 Ford diesels, Dodges with 4 spd transmissions, injector problems in Duramax diesels a couple of engine generations ago. The current crop of diesel trucks are pretty good. They have all experienced a learning curve and have become pretty good as a result. Buy what you like there isn't much difference from one to another anymore.

B.O.

That is why I said 2015+ RAM's have most of the bugs worked out, and then along came Troy!!!!!

Chris

And yet I'm extremely happy with my "substandard" 2013 Ram. This site really is going downhill.....:R

But how many recalls have occur for your 2013. They are basically the same from 2013 on, but adjustments had to be made and buy backs occurred.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Interesting how people quote problems that occurred on 6.0 Ford diesels, Dodges with 4 spd transmissions, injector problems in Duramax diesels a couple of engine generations ago. The current crop of diesel trucks are pretty good. They have all experienced a learning curve and have become pretty good as a result. Buy what you like there isn't much difference from one to another anymore.

B.O.

That is why I said 2015+ RAM's have most of the bugs worked out, and then along came Troy!!!!!

Chris

And yet I'm extremely happy with my "substandard" 2013 Ram. This site really is going downhill.....:R
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 5.7l owner. Worst vehicle I've ever owned. 43k on it. First transmission rebuilt at 20k due to a weeping case. Second when the the torque converter failed at 32k. Currently in the shop for the torque converter and valve body failure again but parts on back order for several weeks. Truck also surges when trying to accelerate. Worst transmission mapping I have ever experienced. It's always bogged down in the wrong gear and won't downshift. Steering issues. Chrome bumpers replaced due to rust. Front leather seat covers replaced when they fell apart at 20k. Rears look cracked and worn even though they are rarely used. Numerous electrical glitches, radio and steering wheel controls. Power mirrors replaced when they stopped folding. Rear brake caliper seized and smoked the brakes. $1200 replacement after they refused to cover under warranty. Driveline whistle that the techs hear and say it's not normal but can't find the source after 3 days. FCA refuses to spend more time so they say it's normal. Rubber door trim has gone all wavy and stretched. On top of all that there have been more recalls than I can count.

It's unfortunate because it is a nice looking truck with a lot of features that I really like but reliability is more important to me than looks or gadgets. I can't imagine owning this beyond the warranty period but selling it is tough too. The resale value is terrible.

All vehicles will have their issues but from what I've seen and read, Rams seem to have more than average. Spend some time on the Ram forums, wish I had.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 CTD mega cab with 57k miles since new. All recalls done and no problems until last month when batteries were dead from sitting for 3 months during my open heart surgery recovery. Put chargers on batteries for 2 days and got it started but wipers came on, stuck in 4th gear on 68rfe auto, CEL came on, check trailer connection warning displayed, and no power stuck in limp mode. Next day batteries were .16 V and dead. New batteries and 7 problem codes cleared and runs great again. Miss the days of jumpstarting and driving away. My point is it has been great but NEVER let the batteries get low.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
From a powertrain standpoint, my '05 3500 has been fine. Everything around the engine, not so much. Most annoying and frequent issue, water leaks, yes water leaks. Have occurred through the clearance lamps, and have had water running down the inside of both A posts and onto the floor by the kick panels. Have replaced and sealed clearance lamps, replaced door gaskets and still it happens, parked or running down the road. I have given up and just park under it under a tree in rainy weather. Seems to help...........

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
my 08 1 ton mega cab with the 6.7 diesel and the 68rfe 6 speed tranny. 2x4 with single rear tires and a 3.73 gear in the back. pulling a 32 foot trailer. i averaged around 18 towing and over 21 empty on the highway.
the drivers seats padding was shot within 30,000 miles, it needed front brake pads at around 90,000 miles and a set of tires. ran good until it started to have erratic headlight brightness. looked like a honda goldwing. if i used high beam. found out that the wiring harness had corrosion at a junction in the frame cab area. over $2500 to fix. it required several computer updates over the 5 years i owned it.
it was a great truck, plenty of power just had lousy seats and a faulty wiring harness.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. A decent truck but have had some problems. Mainly, my transmission blew up at 38K and was rebuilt. It still feels as though something is wrong but I can't convince my dealer. I have the lifetime warranty so I'm kind of just in a holding pattern waiting to see if it fails again.

Otherwise, I had to have the thermostat replaced, had a TPMS tire sensor go out and have needed some software updates to keep the radio from glitching out.

I had far fewer problems with my 2006 Duramax but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison with all the technology of these newer trucks.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2008 Ram crew cab 4X4 1/2 ton with 150k miles and small v8 has had 1 u joint fail and two break jobs; plus a couple of recalls. The trailer we pulled was 3680# on the scales and 7500# for the truck.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting post. Consumer Reports lists trouble spots on the Ram 2500 as steering vibrations, emissions control and sensors, four-wheel-drive components, and power equipment. I couldn't find any comparable info on Heavy-Duty Fords or Chevys.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAM had there act pretty well worked out by 2015. We have put 20K on out 2015 3500 Laramie SRW SB 4x4 and it has not yet had to go back the the dealer for service. Knock on wood. We love the truck and the Aisin HD tranny that we optioned for. The Aisin has lower 1st and 2nd gears compared to the RAM 68RFE tranny to get a load moving with the tall 3.42 gears. It is a freeway cruiser empty and tows our 16K fifth wheel very well in 5th gear at 60 MPH and 1700 RPM.

Only thing I would change is a bit larger fuel tank.

We got into 40 MPH side and head winds in Nevada and it handle our 39'4" full high profile 5th wheel without getting pushed around. Click Our Rig in signature Chris

CampersX4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. Problems to date other than recalls include: Rear end gears replaced at 20k. I am on my 3rd Ignition switch. Exhaust manifold bolts breaking on both heads, one head had to be replaced at 35k as broken bolt couldn't be removed. Truck will not stay aligned. Truck start to lean to the left at 40k by about 2 inches before an adjustment was made. Rust forming around the windshield. As of yesterday, a coolant burning smell noticeable after turning off and exiting the truck. All this at 55k miles.

My 2004 Ram had zero problems up until 160k