cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Camera

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took my tailgate off today. Reality has finally sunk in that I will be without my ever present rear parking aids. For the Ford owners out there, or others that know, are there some decent rear cameras that can tie into the sync 360 stuff?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
22 REPLIES 22

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a wireless camera I got off Amazon. Cost $200, I used the power from a marker light at the top of the camper. The cab monitor is a cig plug. Easy install. The only thing is I have to run with my lights on to use the camera, which I don't mind. The camera is called Zeroclub (Chinese no doubt). Lots of good comments about it. There maybe be better but I'm happy. I was going to take a pic but forgot.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also get a "Hopkins Smart hitch". The camera mounts behine the license plate, has sensors, Ts into the 7 pin under the TV, and has enough cable to run to the cab, and mount the monitor pretty much any where you want it.

They are around $100.00 at Northern Tool, or online. Takes about 30 min to install.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I installed two cameras, one plug and play from Camera-source.com which is for when the truck is put into reverse. The second camera I got from Amazon ( $60) which is a review camera and can be watched all the time if wanted. I installed the second camera so I could see my Side X Side when Iโ€™m towing it behind the camper ( easer to see) This second camera has a small screen that I place on the Center console, and is hard wired into the cab of the truck.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Get the right cable. Yes on camera-source.com. But Ford has more that one rear connector design and in my case there are two connectors for the tailgate, one is probably for the lock. The camera plug is the most variable one according to camera-source. The longer cable was perfect to reach the long rear overhang on my Lance. You will lose the guide lines that are on the Ford cam but at least backup vision is restored. Maybe the Ford cam keeps the lines. Also, Ford provides dummy plugs for when the tailgate is off to prevent contamination. One of those dummy plugs had to be installed for the second unused connector after my tailgate removal.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks you guys. Ill take a look at those options.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Camera Source salt spreader camera in place of the tailgate camera. I mounted it under the bumper of my AF990. I drilled the bumper, used aluminum rivnuts and stainless steel hardware to mount the camera. Harness plugs right into the module.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I reused tailgate camera.
Here is the topic

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Camera-source.com sells a kit that is a direct plug in. It includes the camera, cable and a mount for the camera. It's pretty expensive though. You could buy the camera direct from Ford and the cable is available on ebay.

Cable is a Fakra brown F to F.

I bought the kit and mounted it to the camper and it works well but if doing it again I'd probably buy the parts myself. I actually ended up using the ebay cable because the one that came in the kit was way too long.

PS: make sure you get the 360 kit, they sell a few versions.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB