cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Cargo Carrier

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching my next TT. Looking for brands / models that have (or have an option for) a factory installed rear cargo carrier. The one I have found so far is KZ Spree. Are there others that anyone can point me towards?
25 REPLIES 25

eocamper
Explorer
Explorer
My Grey Wolf came with a factory installed fold up rack. Use it almost every trip.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dad had a Komfort that had the axles more towards the back and he had a fabricator remove bumper, extend frame with a nice platform with a locking cage for generator and gas cans. The bumper was reinstalled on back for sewer hose storage. He had a couple of hooks installed on the corner of the trailer above the generator so he could tarp generator at camp if it was raining or direct sun.

His setup worked well, it was built properly and with the axles located towards rear enough, his tongue weight was just right.

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
iagary wrote:
APT, I had looked at those and liked them but the following quote from the "Features" section in the descriptions concerned me:

Not for use with a weight distribution system.

Any idea why that would be?

It means you can't use a WD hitch on that hitch; not that you can't use a WD hitch on the TT.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

Rburkes
Explorer
Explorer
Surveyor 265 and , 266 by forest river. Nicest rack I have seen on a tt

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
APT, I had looked at those and liked them but the following quote from the "Features" section in the descriptions concerned me:

Not for use with a weight distribution system.

Any idea why that would be?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use this and not limit to only RVs with something built in. If it has it, great, but there are far more without and a solution is reasonably cheap.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going a little off topic here but I think it is something worth mentioning.

Whenever you attach anything to the rear of your trailer you really need to pay attention to not just the weight limits provided by the manufacturer of the rack but also to any warnings you might get from the trailer manufacturer as well. When adding weight beyond the rear bumper you are removing weight from the tongue. A lighter tongue weight increases the chances of sway.

Here is an article that was recently posted on the Airstream forum. It is lengthy and quite argumentative but....if you read post 57 you will learn what made this particular trailer sway beyond any hope of control.

Trailer Rolls on Interstate
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone's Cougars have them (ours has one) but they are not worth choosing one trailer over another due to having one. They don't hold a lot of weight. We've tried to haul 2 adult bikes (almost lost one!) and wood. We even thought of putting our generator on it but decided against that as that would be too costly to lose. You probably could get away with hauling 3 small bikes (for kids under the age of ๐Ÿ˜Ž but that's about all I'd risk. They are not big deal---my opinion.
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grey wolf by Forrest River Has Them !

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Some Jayco Jay Flights have an optional frame mounted rear cargo 2" receiver hitch. Working well so far with our 4 bike tray style rack.

Our 2016 Jayflight 28RLS also has the factory 2" hitch receiver. We use it to carry our two Trek mountain bikes on a tray style rack. Nice option.

Not sure I would carry a Trek on ours. I think our Soecialized MTB's would throw it off!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ (All in fun!!!)

We have had 2-20" full suspension (Toy-R-Us specials- heavy, about 35#/each!!!) and our 2 Specialized full suspension (Safire and Epic- under 30#/each) on the rack. I would have to weigh our bike rack but it has to be close to 40# I would guess.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the factory Jayco hitch that you can slide a cargo carrier into just like your vehicles hitch.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
kyle86 wrote:
Dude lost a generator when his home made rack broke sending the gen into incoming traffic and killing someone. Dude is now being tried for manslaughter. Happened a few weeks ago. I was interested in these racks but not anymore!
Got any links to "Dude's" story?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Snow river 234rbs

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
Once again, I am asking which brands of campers have FACTORY BUILT AND INSTALLED cargo trays. I have absolutely no interest in a homemade carrier.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Dude lost a generator when his home made rack broke sending the gen into incoming traffic and killing someone. Dude is now being tried for manslaughter. Happened a few weeks ago. I was interested in these racks but not anymore!