Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear loading bunkhouse ?

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Anybody know of a manufacturer that's makes a bunkhouse with a rear bike door? Would make loading and unloading for my tight driveway much easier. Don't want to go the toy-hauler route as it would also be nice to have an outside kitchen.
Just curious.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
mikeschu42 wrote:
I've been looking at the Aerolite 282DBHS that has the bunk lift system and a rear door. I really like the bunk lift function and the ability to store bikes/other gear in that space. I believe that for 2014 the bunks were only rated for 150lbs, but the 2016 model I saw at a recent RV show had them listed at 600lbs. At 150lbs, the bunks would be almost useless, so I was happy to see the weight rating was increased.
I also remember seeing one other model with the bunk lift system which had a side facing door instead... can't remember the model. Point is, if you search for the bunk lift system, you're likely to find the cargo door as well.
The only difference between the 150 lbs bed rating and the 600 lbs bed rating (actually I thought it was 300 lbs) is the thickness of the plywood on the bottom of the lift beds. Change the plywood (which takes about 5 minutes) and you change the weight rating.

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the Aerolite 282DBHS that has the bunk lift system and a rear door. I really like the bunk lift function and the ability to store bikes/other gear in that space. I believe that for 2014 the bunks were only rated for 150lbs, but the 2016 model I saw at a recent RV show had them listed at 600lbs. At 150lbs, the bunks would be almost useless, so I was happy to see the weight rating was increased.
I also remember seeing one other model with the bunk lift system which had a side facing door instead... can't remember the model. Point is, if you search for the bunk lift system, you're likely to find the cargo door as well.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
This one does Clicky. Although it doesn't show it in the floorplan, I can attest that it certainly does have a rear door at the triple bunks; and the lift system is pure genius.

pretty cool feature
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Airborn805
Explorer
Explorer
Lance travel trailers carry this option

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
This one does Clicky. Although it doesn't show it in the floorplan, I can attest that it certainly does have a rear door at the triple bunks; and the lift system is pure genius.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a TT with a door to the bunk area for bikes as well as a rear storage area.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/5300834740.html

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jimbee wrote:
Anybody know of a manufacturer that's makes a bunkhouse with a rear bike door?

Our KZ Spree 240BH-LX had a rear door.

KZ still offers this triple bunk bed floor plan as the Spree 240BHS

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
My Sunset Creek 298 BH has a fold up rear bunk and huge loading door. I put all kinds of stuff back there. Two firewood boxes, three bikes, 6 camping chairs, six water jugs, bag of charcoal, drinks, clothes, it all goes in the back and helps balance my tongue weight (still within 13 %). Don't know if they still offer the floorplan or not. Check them out at Winnebago Towables.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH