cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear view camera

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I pull a utility trailer behind my truck camper with my ATV and other gear. Am always nervous about it as I can't see it. So I'm wanting to install a remote camera on the back of my truck camper to keep an eye on my load. Would appreciate some recommendations on cameras that won't break my budget. Thank you!!!
22 REPLIES 22

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
i use a Garmin gps with the additional cameras, they work great plus u get the GPS unit.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You get what you pay for. That applies to everything including apples.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

cljward
Explorer
Explorer
Ike the other poster said go to Amazon. They lhave inexpensive cameras that work fine. They are all made in China. Look at the reviews the inexpensive ones get as good of reviews as the big buck ones do. I put in a Kenwood deck in my truck that has two camera inputs.. I put a license plate camera wired in that looks as good on the monitor as the one in my Honda CRV. Than I mounted a camera on my bottom of my fox landing and hooked it up to the front camera input. Now I can keep track of things when we are driving down the road. Don't have to put a separate monitor on the dash or console and we have hands free calling, etc like all the new trucks have. I just need to come up with a little better quick release for when we take the camper on and off the truck.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam and Lisa wrote:
Kayteg1, can you post a picture if how you mounted the stock cameras? I would love to do the same thing.

My camera topic

I am still working on better cosmetics, but the thing work as charm.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I used this camera hardwired to this monitor on my TC. It worked great. I have since moved on to a TT, and I still use the monitor, although it is now paired with this camera. This setup also works great. Had the TC camera for 2 1/2 years without a hitch and have had the new one on the TT for a year and a half with no problems. I also have had the license frame camera on DW's Ford Escape for three years with no trouble.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Sam_and_Lisa
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1, can you post a picture if how you mounted the stock cameras? I would love to do the same thing.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
As I stated earlier go to Amazon.com and type in "wireless backup camera" They sell all types including for RVs. You can get complete units or add on kits.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

Dodges are made in Mexico, my renter just bought a 2017 Power Wagon 1 ton and it was Hencho Mexico and interestingly, has coil springs out back (I just looked) not leaves. What a woosey set up.

I know what they are good for. My new house is the last street in the city with park on other side of the street.
Even we have lot of desert parks just few miles away, there is number of vehicles that choose coming here at night for some bouncing.
Neighbor like to chase them with his phone camera.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I tough Ford are made in Mexico 🙂
I stay away from wireless whenever I can as Murphy law always hit me on dying batteries.
Than I figured that if Ford choose to use wire on their expensive stuff, some engineers don't like wireless neither.

No batteries in my wireless cam. The cam runs on 12 volt camper power and the receiver plugs into the cig lighter.

My truck was built at the Louisville Kentucky truck plant, not sure where yours was but it origin is in the VIN.

Wiring harnesses and electrical components...Mexico for sure but electronics, Oriental all the way. Pacific rim oriental...

We all know where the air bags came from....lol

Dodges are made in Mexico, my renter just bought a 2017 Power Wagon 1 ton and it was Hencho Mexico and interestingly, has coil springs out back (I just looked) not leaves. What a woosey set up.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tough Ford are made in Mexico 🙂
I stay away from wireless whenever I can as Murphy law always hit me on dying batteries.
Than I figured that if Ford choose to use wire on their expensive stuff, some engineers don't like wireless neither.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Wireless bring additional issues while 40' of extension will cost you about $25.
Than I don't know about quality of Dodge cameras.
Ford made them really good and beside of not paying for something I already have, I wanted to keep quality.

Ford don't make them, some Chinese manufacturer makes them (Just like the Furrion).

I need to hear about the issues of a wireless cam. I have none with mine. In fact mine works with the truck 100 feet from the camper.

My view is 40 feet of cable and various RCA plugs present more of a connection issue than an AM low power signal ever will.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wireless bring additional issues while 40' of extension will cost you about $25 but since you are keeping tailgate on - your situation is different here.
Than I don't know about quality of Dodge cameras.
Ford made them really good and beside of not paying for something I already have, I wanted to keep quality.
Ford also makes designated trailer cameras for mere $500 ... wired. But why would I leave good camera with tailgate at home and spend that kind of money for another one?

dedmiston
Kayteg1 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I'd like to add a camera to my 5er too. I have the tailgate cam on my RAM, but it doesn't do me any good when I'm towing.

Like I wrote before, I removed the tailgate camera from my F350 and am mounting it on my camper. Since that is part of 360 vision I consider it far superior to any add-on camera and factory screen is much bigger too.
Those cameras have like 170 degree vision, so I mount it on my camper about 4' above the ground.
It is advantage for camper, but might be not as convenient on cargo trailer.
Still those cameras are high-quality and all it cost me was $10 for cable extension, 2 hr of research how to make Ford cable extendable and 1 hr to actually do the mount.

I think you and I are in slightly different situations. I have at least 40 feet between my tailgate and the rear of my fifth wheel. I definitely need wireless.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I'd like to add a camera to my 5er too. I have the tailgate cam on my RAM, but it doesn't do me any good when I'm towing.

Like I wrote before, I removed the tailgate camera from my F350 and am mounting it on my camper. Since that is part of 360 vision I consider it far superior to any add-on camera and factory screen is much bigger too.
Those cameras have like 170 degree vision, so I mount it on my camper about 4' above the ground.
It is advantage for camper, but might be not as convenient on cargo trailer.
Still those cameras are high-quality and all it cost me was $10 for cable extension, 2 hr of research how to make Ford cable extendable and 1 hr to actually do the mount.