cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recaulking The Roof

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Not my favorite activity but hard at it. When I have done it before I used a putty knife to remove old caulk. This time I used a Dremel tool that has interchangeable tips which vibrate. Much faster this way but still need to push a plastic blade around to clean up around screw heads. Winter is on its way and hope it is a wet one because CA needs it.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
10 REPLIES 10

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Raften, Four years ago our Lance Dealer redid our roof seams using Liquid Roof. It has worked out very well. I just did a recoat, as insurance. It is a two part system, they recommend a stirrer that fits a portable drill. It is applied with a brush. I froze the left overs which worked out fine when thawed. We have used it for several jobs. A quart was more than enough for our roof seams, hatches, antennas and solar mounting points etc.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is the Multimax. I build RC planes and use it mostly for that but discovered how handy it is for this job. Harbor Freight has pretty much the same tool for much less if looking for less cost.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
WV, I am using the tip that looks like a putty knife. The ones with teeth look like they might do damage.

The reason I am doing it this way is to get rid of the caulk buildup. First Lance just flowed it on like they owned stock in the caulk company and my adding more over the years have left so much and so wide that I would not want to just slap on tape. When I get this done I intend to put on tape next year.

Anyone want to chime in on my question about caulk choice?

Raften, are you using a multimax tool? I just bought one. Best tool ever for fixing up an old camper.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
WV, I am using the tip that looks like a putty knife. The ones with teeth look like they might do damage.

The reason I am doing it this way is to get rid of the caulk buildup. First Lance just flowed it on like they owned stock in the caulk company and my adding more over the years have left so much and so wide that I would not want to just slap on tape. When I get this done I intend to put on tape next year.

Anyone want to chime in on my question about caulk choice?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Simplygib wrote:
Put Eternabond on it and you'll probably never have to do it again. I resisted that for years with one RV or another, but finally gave in and covered the roof seams of my TC and 5er with it. Now when fall rolls around I don't have to do anything to it other than eyeball it to make sure all's well. Great stuff.

Amen! I got tired just reading the OP's description of the work.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
Put Eternabond on it and you'll probably never have to do it again. I resisted that for years with one RV or another, but finally gave in and covered the roof seams of my TC and 5er with it. Now when fall rolls around I don't have to do anything to it other than eyeball it to make sure all's well. Great stuff.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Raften,
What tips did you find work the best? We have a Dremel and may have finally found a use for it!!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Raften,
What tips did you find work the best? We have a Dremel and may have finally found a use for it!!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
'01 Lance, alum roof.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your roof is fiberglass or aluminum?
bumpy