cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel,,,, the rest of the story??

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
As some of you may have read, I need to buy a bigger truck and am considering a dually ( among other things ). I've also found a few newer trucks with diesel engines that fall into my budget, but diesel is unknown territory for me. I gleaned some info off the web and decided to pass on a 2005 F-250 w/6.0L International motor,,, I hear the 7.3 is the one to have.

I've heard that there is much more to owning a diesel that buying a different fuel. I've heard there are pricey additives needed,,, high dollar fuel filters ( sometimes two ),,,,, glow plug costs,,,,, on and on,,,,,

So I turn to yo and ask,,,, what's the hidden reality of diesel ownership? What other tasks are needed over gassers,,,, maintenance???

-Jason
128 REPLIES 128

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a boy we would call crows in to shoot them, they sounded a lot like the last few post. RVNet doesn't pay me what they should for getting these great counts on posts.
So big a world, so little time to see.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged, I didn't hire any of these "hit" men to pounce on you. :B
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
needs more blower

2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
This forum is called "Tow Vehicles". Diesel's are for Towing. Nuff said.
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
You got your attention you so badly need SC, now go back to the school yard and play some dodge ball or what ever you kids play nowadays.
I would suggest ALL members review SC's past posts, clearly a troll, errrr a diesel hater.
OBTW I own several engines, most are gassers :B and they do fine with the correct application. Same with diesel engines, they just pull harder IMO.
Sincerely
Clean shoes at the diesel fueling pump with nothing in the bed :W

Things are really boring in Gila Bend! Give the lonely old dude a block on his post and be done with it. He goes nuts on post about Walmart's and such at Q also in the snowbird section, and the Gila Bend is the best place to stay in Arizona. Has something to do with the RV park there being taken over by workers at the solar plant, and no one coming to his morning coffee club I believe.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
needs more blower

Compensating for something Smoke?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
needs more blower

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
You got your attention you so badly need SC, now go back to the school yard and play some dodge ball or what ever you kids play nowadays.
I would suggest ALL members review SC's past posts, clearly a troll, errrr a diesel hater.
OBTW I own several engines, most are gassers :B and they do fine with the correct application. Same with diesel engines, they just pull harder IMO.
Sincerely
Clean shoes at the diesel fueling pump with nothing in the bed :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:

Performance wise the EB is a fair comparison, (the 5.4 not at all),the better mileage is just a bonus.
As for the fuel economy return you mention? Lol. Enjoy your better mileage. It cost you $10K.

tsk tsk tsk... you assume I paid more for my diesel than I did my F-150. That isn't the case with me. So yes, I will smile ear to ear with this vehicle knowing that I did well. I already know that fuel costs alone would have me break even at 5 years if we were assuming the diesel upgrade price from a gasser 1-ton at MSRP, and that the gasser got the same MPG as an ecoboost half-ton. Unfortunately that isn't the case, I would cut my fuel reimbursement time in half because I would have twice as much of a fuel economy gain against a 1-ton gasser, possibly more. But I got my truck for less than my F-150, so I'm already ahead of the game. I have nearly the same feature set as my F-150 had. Actually, I have gained a few features that I really wished my F-150 had (besides the diesel). I will enjoy not servicing every 7,500 since my new service interval is 15k miles. I will also enjoy the RV shows more when figuring out exactly which rig I want to pull since I am no longer limited with owning a half-ton (the wife wasn't finding anything in the weight range that I was comfy with in the half ton). I can now entertain 5th wheels and toy haulers... in fact I will probably go that way. I will also enjoy driving over the Cascades and Rockies with no significant loss in power thanks to turbocharging (the ecoboost owners would get this benefit as well). In all honesty, if the diesels back in 2010 were as decent as they are today, I would had never purchased my F-150. I needed a truck then and I was trying to future proof my decision and didn't know as much about RV'ing back then as I do now. Unfortunately it took till 2012 before Ford got the 6.7 down the way I liked it (a few upgrades from 2011 to 2012). It took till late 2011/2012 before the Chevy finally upgraded its frame so the IFS wasn't riding on the bumpstops anymore but the interior was not up to what I liked. And it took until 2013 before RAM finally switched over to a DEF based after treatment system which finally won me over.

Also, I am not aware of any maker charging $10k for a diesel upgrade, the most is RAM at roughly $8k for an upgrade for the HO Cummins and Aisin Transmission. Awesome combo, but I decided to save $2k. I personally don't think the diesels truly cost $6k more than a gasser truck, namely because it seems like the incentives and hold backs appear to be greater on a diesel than a gasser. At least that's what I've observed in my neck of the woods. I'm more incline to think the diesel upgrade truly costs a maker $3k to $4k over a gas motor. They just get away with the whole Diesel thing and have inflated diesel upgrade pricing disproportionately over the years. I've noticed this trend from 1999 to current.

And getting back to my home point. I moved up from a half-ton truck to a one-ton truck. I needed the capability because I was pushing the payload on my F-150 even though it was the "Max Tow" version. And while I was at it, I'm having a significant fuel savings against a more-efficient half ton with my new one ton. The savings are only increased (most likely doubled) against a similar 1-ton truck that's equipped with a gas engine. I would only recommend diesel if you have the right driving duty-cycle. Otherwise, the diesel will be a poor investment for an individual.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Supercharged is just trolling, as usual in any type of subject about diesel.

Don't feed the troll.
A troll is someone who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's. Now you know what a troll is.

No SC, it isn't one who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's. It has nothing to do with that at all, though, indirectly it could, but that COULS apply to almost ANY kind of comparisons......

Below is the definition I found concerning a "troll" on the internet:)

In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]
This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families.

I'm a troll as you say because I don't agree with you about weather to have a diesel or a gas rig, now I under stand better what a troll is, Diesel good, gas bad plus makes me a troll, is that right.

No,I NEVER called you a Troll... you obviously didn't read my post very well...There is nothing wrong with a gas powered vehicle, be it truck or car, there is nothing wrong with a diesel powered vehicle either, be it a car or a truck . To each his own, I don't care one way or the other.

YOU, as in Y-O-U "narrowly" gave the definition of a Troll as, "someone who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's" and you further stated, ". Now you know what a troll is"

I merely gave the BROADER definition of a troll...didn't disagree with your post or anything..Read it slowly and carefully....all I did was contradict YOUR definition of a Troll.... ..I was being silly...no cut on you at all, or gas powered trucks and rv's, or diesel powered trucks and rv's.....just gave the definition of what an Internet Troll is....As badly as you may want to be one SC, your not....sorry:)
Your right, I like you, I will beat up on Mad Norsky that call me a troll.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:

Don't feed the troll.
A troll is someone who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's. Now you know what a troll is.

No SC, it isn't one who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's. It has nothing to do with that at all, though, indirectly it could, but that COULS apply to almost ANY kind of comparisons......

In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]
This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families.

I'm a troll as you say because I don't agree with you about weather to have a diesel or a gas rig, now I under stand better what a troll is, Diesel good, gas bad plus makes me a troll, is that right.

No,I NEVER called you a Troll... you obviously didn't read my post very well...There is nothing wrong with a gas powered vehicle, be it truck or car, there is nothing wrong with a diesel powered vehicle either, be it a car or a truck . To each his own, I don't care one way or the other.

YOU, as in Y-O-U "narrowly" gave the definition of a Troll as, "someone who thinks gas works better in the long run for many RVer's" and you further stated, ". Now you know what a troll is"

I merely gave the BROADER definition of a troll...didn't disagree with your post or anything..Read it slowly and carefully....all I did was contradict YOUR definition of a Troll.... ..I was being silly...no cut on you at all, or gas powered trucks and rv's, or diesel powered trucks and rv's.....just gave the definition of what an Internet Troll is....As badly as you may want to be one SC, your not....sorry:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:

Don't feed the troll.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
jus2shy wrote:
Well, for others with similar duty cycles and an environment, it looked like an ecoboost was maybe a 2 mpg improvement at best over the 5.4 motor given the terrain and how/where I drive (good ol' hilly PNW). The EPA stickers seem to back that assertion up as well 15/17/21 for a new ecoboost and 14/15/18 for my old 5.4L. I actually was considering moving up to an ecoboost, but when I saw members on the ford forum I frequented returning real life fuel economies that were either equivalent or only 1 mpg better than mine with similar trucks, I wasn't sold. I know the power would have greatly increased, but there wasn't as much of a benefit fuel economy wise as I was hoping the ecoboost would return.

So I am very familiar with how much get-up and go the ecoboost has. By no means am I trash talking the motor, it has its users and its benefits. However to own a truck with so much more capability, that weighs 2,000 more pounds and maintains superior fuel economy is far more impressive to me given my driving style and needs.

Performance wise the EB is a fair comparison, (the 5.4 not at all),the better mileage is just a bonus.
As for the fuel economy return you mention? Lol. Enjoy your better mileage. It cost you $10K.