cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Straightline disappointment

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Went to install my new Reese Straightline WD hitch today. I was very disappointed to find it was made in China. The quality is very poor with casting so rough I had to use a grinder on the shank to get it to fit my reciever. Next I had to use a die grinder to smooth out the pockets where the trunnions ride. The casting here was so rough they wouldn't fit. Then the fasteners for the snap up brackets and cam arm brackets were missing as well as the hanger brackets. The box arrived in fine shape...no holes or damage. etrailer was very nice and will be sending the missing parts. I sure hope this hitch works better than it is going on. Has any one else had problems with Reese products?
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L
23 REPLIES 23

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Reese dual cam and it is well made and works great. I wonder if you just got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon hitch?
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with hitch or installation, I had the RV dealer order and install it. Sometimes I believe it's best to seek professional help, and this was one of them.

The hitch has performed flawlessly so far.........

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
waynec1957 wrote:
That pretty much settles it for me. We're buying a 35' TT in the next 2-3 months and I was trying to decide between this hitch and a ProPride 3P. I'll be going with the ProPride manufactured in Michigan.

I had the same choice to make, I went propride and the quality is quite impressive.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

todouble
Explorer
Explorer
Never a problem from mine either. I upgraded to a fiver and sold it on CL.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the same Reese WD hitch and bars for over 14 years now on 3 different TT's. Maybe when I purchased mine they were still made in the U.S. Mine has worked great, never a problem ... ever.

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
That pretty much settles it for me. We're buying a 35' TT in the next 2-3 months and I was trying to decide between this hitch and a ProPride 3P. I'll be going with the ProPride manufactured in Michigan.
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's very disappointing but a friend bought one late last year and it was nicely made. I wonder how new the china thing is.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Equal-i-zer and the quality was top notch and it tows great. I was very much considering the Reese Straight Line, kind of glad I didn't. Hopefully it works better than it looked out of the box!
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is about three years old and I haven't had any issues. I have read of people being generally unhappy with the quality of the new hitches and if I ever decide to replace mine, I'll probably go with something different.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL