cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

regular cab towing

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old fan of regular cab trucks. I now tow a light-weight 7,000 lb, 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 crew cab and 5.7 Hemi, which proved to be a good match.
My wife likes the regular cabs because she finds them easier to drive with the improved visibility through the rear window. I like them for the same reason and also for the longer bed without a very long truck length. Other than us two we travel with a 14 lb mini dachshund.
Our next truck will in all likelihood be a regular cab. Does anyone else have the same idea?
20 REPLIES 20

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
campingken wrote:
We recently purchased (from a member here) a 2001.5 Dodge 5.9 4x4 regular cab for my wife to use as a full time horse trailer puller. We have found that the lack of the rear seat makes it easier to see when we hook up the trailer. The truck has an 8 ft. bed and, because there is no rear seat, it is about the same length as our Dodge 3500 Quad cab short bed. That is a plus when you tow on forest service roads.

I had a truck VERY much like this for 14 years and found for a daily driver and towing it was great! Nice size and turning radius. Can't remember if we ground on the turning stops early on so it would turn a little sharper or not. On paper our new RAM is suppose to turn sharper, however it does not! Old blue was a fun truck to drive!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Tundra reg cab long box to tow our 5th wheel because it has 1820 lbs payload which is the most a Tundra has. We would rather have a double cab incase we want to take others with us but needed the payload. One thing to note is that the Tundra reg cab has much more room behind seat in cab than the other regular cabs so we find that useful as you can get groceries or whatever and still have room in cab. Most other reg cabs end right behind the seat.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If available, I would buy an extra cab. The quad cab is more room than we need and a full size 4-door adds too much WB imo.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. No longer own a fifth wheel, just a bumper pull TT. Don't need our 1 ton Quad Cab Ram to tow it. In the process of 'downsizing' our lives and that includes wanting to drop down to a single vehicle. Wife is not at all at ease driving the Ram, so a long wheelbase regular cab or super cab configuration with 6 3/4 ft bed appeals to me. An F150 with the 3.5L EB or 5L V8 comes to mind. Want the longest WB configuration I can find since that might help with towing stability.

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased (from a member here) a 2001.5 Dodge 5.9 4x4 regular cab for my wife to use as a full time horse trailer puller. We have found that the lack of the rear seat makes it easier to see when we hook up the trailer. The truck has an 8 ft. bed and, because there is no rear seat, it is about the same length as our Dodge 3500 Quad cab short bed. That is a plus when you tow on forest service roads.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a couple in my younger days and I'm a fan too. Wife and three kids don't work too well with a regular cab, though, so I'll be in a crew for the foreseeable future.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB