cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

renting travel trailer for a week......things i should know

moloss
Explorer
Explorer
this summer I have reserved a 23 foot mini lite travel trailer for a week.....I have never taken the family camping in a travel trailer or even to a RV park or national or state park camping.....we are total new to using a trailer..... what are some of the things I need to do to ensure the family has a great time? I want this to be something they never forget but for good reasons not bad and hopefully this will convince my wife that maybe we need one for ourselves .....anyhow I have plenty of experience towing much larger trailers (we have a farm) and I own a small generator.....we are thinking of going to the smoky mountains in late June if y'all have any suggestions....thank you Chris.
1986 CJ 7 "locked and ready"
2004 GMC 3500 srw 8.1/Allsion 4x4 crew cab long bed
2007 yamaha grizzly 700
2006 kawasaki 50
20 REPLIES 20

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have wheel chokes for TT. 1st thing in place before unhooking and last thing out after hooking up to T V.
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, spend a night in the TT in your driveway to find the first issues while it is easiest to fix.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, make sure they show you how to set-up and take down everything. Including water (don't turn on water heater unless full), heat/AC (has a time delay switch so may not start for couple minutes if you switch off/on), awning (including how to secure it when towing, a non-RV friend rented and ripped his awning up), how to level, etc. they probably have a checklist for you. May sound like a lot, but if you go slow the first couple times you'll find it's pretty simple.

You already have the toughest part behind you (bring comfortable with a big 8ft wide thing behind you on the road). Have a good time, and don't be concerned about doing things slowly (pulling in for gas etc) so that YOU are comfortable - it won't kill someone to have to wait a minute or two for you. Also, don't be shy about talking to other RVers and asking for help etc, most are very friendly and eager to be of assistance.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

K9Sailors
Explorer
Explorer
Check the storage compartments before taking possession, the previous user may have left something in there!

Clicky

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
We rented a RV to decide if we would enjoy one. We wrote the pros and cons then bought an ancient TT, 1981 Holiday Ramblett. Best thing ever for our family. The TT taught us well and served us for 8 years before we bought a new TT. We don't regret spending the rental money on our first adventure. You're right it is more expensive than a cabin or hotel but it is an investment to determine what you really like.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are getting a deal on the rental, by the time you add it all up you are very close to the cost of a hotel and might even be more than a cabin or yurt at a campground. My one time renting was not good. If I did not own a TT I would not rent one. But that's JMHO.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say using the new Hershey's chocolate spread is far better the small chocolate bats for s'mores. Especially if your kids are small line mine.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Edited to delete
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

moloss
Explorer
Explorer
thank y'all so much, I will take all of the suggestions seriously......chris
1986 CJ 7 "locked and ready"
2004 GMC 3500 srw 8.1/Allsion 4x4 crew cab long bed
2007 yamaha grizzly 700
2006 kawasaki 50

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
For my friends who have never camped or RV'ed, they wonder why I love it so much. I grew up doing it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope your family loves it equally as much. Here's a few things that really made me fall in love with camping as a child, made me continue to love as a teenager, and purchase my own TT as an adult.

1. We always had a boat as well as camped, mostly tent camping. We loved the water, and rented a boat for a day, and that sold us for life on a boat. If your kids and wife love water, go somewhere that has a beach for swimming, many lakeside campgrounds have great beach areas. It's another expense, but renting a pontoon boat for a day is a life changing experience.

2. FOOD. We always cooked outside, and it was never just a simple meal. We feasted. We'd have spiedies (local delicacy), salt potatoes, steaks, all kinds of great foods. Getting to prepare and eat outside was always an awesome experience. As kids we were healthy eaters, and never ever were picky, so kids that are picky eaters will not enjoy this as much. We also brought snacks snacks and more snacks. On vacation we ate whatever and whenever we wanted for snacks... It was great. Obviously we saved room for dinner because it was always so good. We also always have breakfast together in the mornings, eggs bacon ect... Makes another fun meal if you make "zip lock bag omelets"... Look them up, kids love it.

3.Let the kids bring a friend. We always brought a friend, and these friends continued to camp with us for years, even as adults. They became part of our family. As kids we loved having a friend along. We rode bikes together, swam together, it was awesome.

4. Be prepared. Nothing ruins a trip faster than needing something and not having it. Bug spray, rain coats, enough clothes, bathroom supplies, towels, warm clothes for cold nights, flashlights... All things that are easy to overlook but makes a trip much easier.

5. Build a big fire, get smores to make, hotdogs to roast, games to play. This was always my favorite and still is, just sitting around a great fire. Buy folding chairs from Walmart to use, they're perfect for around the fire and very cheap. Get everyone their own chair. Let the kids and wife get different colors. We had a game called password. Small eelectronic game, would have a timer and a random word would appear, had to make everyone else guess that word, then you'd pass to someone else, great campfire game.

6. Games like ladder toss, bean bag toss, bocee ball (my fav) are awesome at a camp site. They come together often as a kit with many games. Bicycles are great too, campgrounds often have long flat paved areas that make biking fun, and can occupy kids for hours.

7. Plan some activities outside the campground. Find local hiking spots, local museums or attractions. Don't worry about filling the whole day with activity... The best activity is often just hanging out around the campsite.

8. Find another family you're close friends with, that has kids the same age. We always camped (and still do) with my aunt and uncle, who had 2 kids my age. We always shared buying food, shared cooking duty, shared clean up duty..... Makes everything so much easier. It gives kids more friends to play with, and gives the adults more people to have adult time with. It makes everything more fun, and easier. If you can find a family to rent and camp with, it's an awesome time.

9. Roll with the punches.... Things will go wrong. Something may break, your charcoal may not light, it might rain and soak everything, your awning might break or your easy-up might blow away... Just don't worry, don't stress when camping. Half the fun of camping is compromise and finding creative solutions to everyday things. The trip dosen't have to be "perfect". I remember the imperfect trips even more.

10. Sometimes just do nothing. Just sit around the fire, talk, and do nothing. You're camping... No need to worry about work or what to do next. Just enjoy yourself.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
1) Bring a small charcoal grill, and cook on it. Tastes better.

2) Marshmallow, chocolate bars, graham crackers. Kids love s'mores.

3) Hikes from the campground. Smokies should have trails from every campground, I imagine. They don't need to be long hikes, but let the kids play on fallen logs, or whatever.

4) Take tasty snacks for the trial. Cheese and crackers, summer sausage, trail mix, dried fruit. Something different than what they eat for lunch at home.

5) Lay out at night and watch for shooting stars and satellites.

6) Lots of bug repellant.

7) Find out where the wildlife is visible, and go look (okay, go and hope to see the wildlife). Bears, deer, moose. Wait, you don't have moose back east, do you? How about coyotes? If you have them, sit around the campfire and listen for them.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Speaking of campfires, bring chairs to sit around the campfire. Tell ghost stories.

Have a great trip! It's not all about the trailer, although the trailer can make or break it.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the family what would be fun for them. Then incorporate their favorites into the trip. You are selling the idea so it means showing off the fun things of camping. Pick a site with full hookups and reserve it today. We use woodalls to judge the camgrounds and look for 10's. Use the campgounds bathrooms as much as possible and leave the trailer's for night time use. Make the meal preparation and cleanup as simple as possible - it can be a deal killer for some. I'm lucky as nothing is better than cooking outside for our family. Realize it takes energy to set up and take down. Leave yourself plenty of time to do both. Play as much as possible. You will get to see your family's faces for a whole week. Nothing is better.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Choose a site(s) about 2 hours from home that has lots of things for kids to do; with a McDonalds nearby. Too many RVers think they have to drive across the country to find a good camping spot; not so.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't already made reservations at the campground, get busy. They fill up very quickly. When you make your reservations, it may be an online reservation system, but give the campground a call to find out how far the water connection and electric is from your site. At one of our fav SPs in KY, the water and electric is between sites and you need extra lengths of both. Apparently happens often enough that they keep a supply of electric and water supplies at the guard shack and loan them as needed. Lots easier if you know this ahead of time. Have a great time!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!