cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

repainting the frame

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Time to touch up the frame and wonder what everyone uses for paint. Powder coating would be best but out of the budget. Just want something I can do myself.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.
9 REPLIES 9

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Satin black. Looks better and a closer match to OE IMO.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I do wire brush, etching primer and gloss black paint.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I reorganized the trailer tongue this spring so after stripping as many parts away as was practical I just wired brushed it and spray painted it with gloss black Tremclad. I actually found it quite easy to control the spray pattern and only masked off critical areas such as diamond plate on the front wall, the key being to use less paint rather than more and if necessary do a second coat for a proper finish. It may not be a factory finish but it does look pretty good for the little effort it took. Our trailer has an open underbelly, making access to the frame quite easy so that'll be next. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
I might do over kill but I like to coat any rust in OSPHO. OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. I then paint with primer, paint, and clear. The frame of my truck and trailer have looked great for years in Ohio. I am planning to do my tractors soon
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Rustoleum is your friend
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I do a light sanding, scrapping where needed, tremclad gloss black brush on. not a factory finish for sure but looks great from 5 ft away. did the propane tray too
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I just used rust oleum gloss black in an aerosol can. Remove everything attached to the frame, mask off anything that can't be removed, scuff it real good, use a wax and grease remover solvent and spray away. I would also mask off the lower 3-4 feet of the trailer front and rear to keep the overspray off the front and rear of the trailer. I also removed my stabilizer jacks and separated them separately. In the end it will look as good as new, maybe even better!

I did mine last year. Between waxing it and painting the frame it looks like a new trailer!
x2:B Nailed it!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just used rust oleum gloss black in an aerosol can. Remove everything attached to the frame, mask off anything that can't be removed, scuff it real good, use a wax and grease remover solvent and spray away. I would also mask off the lower 3-4 feet of the trailer front and rear to keep the overspray off the front and rear of the trailer. I also removed my stabilizer jacks and separated them separately. In the end it will look as good as new, maybe even better!

I did mine last year. Between waxing it and painting the frame it looks like a new trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!