cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replaced Jensen antennae with King Jack

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with a Jensen Omni directional antennae which was basically worthless. I decided to go with the King Jack because I park my trailer under the carport at home and if I want to use the TV at home, a Wingard wouldn't be able to crank up. Also, the Jensen was mounted so the cable went into the trailer concealed in a cabinet and the Winegard wouldn't fit in the existing spot, but the King would.
The King is a skitch taller than the vent covers, and a full 2" shorter than the AC, so all is good. I removed the Jensen, measured to make sure the inside part would clear the cabinet framework, and drilled a 2 1/4" hole. I drilled a hole to run the antennae cable that was covered by the base, attached the cables, and used Dicor sealent and screwed it down. I used the existing Jensen wall plate assembly since it has a 12volt outlet for the TV.
Sitting in the driveway, I now get about several more stations and they don't keep cutting out like before.
Old
new

The inside assembly, there was a blank on the opening so I just removed it.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the Jack is as good as it claims! I have one and after my buddy seen how good it worked he bought one also. It picks up just as many stations as mine and way more than the batwing ever could!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally got around to cleaning up the install. I got a wood cabinet knob at a box store for .98, and a "sample" packet of Cherry stain from a lumberyard, and used velcro to attach the panel in place.
I was surprised how distracting the leds on the base are. I know there's a switch to turn them off but...

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Winegard, but have seen as good reception with the Jack. Lots of good reports, very few bad. It will definely be better than the Omni.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:

Thank you taking the time to post the pics of your mod. Posts like this are very helpful to others who may want to do this but might be afraid to tackle it . Pics and explanations, makes others feel like they can do it as well.
I know when I undertake a mod, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment because I did something on my own.
To have others appreciate it, makes me feel even better.
Thank you again , you did a very nice job .

I agree , thanks

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my jack because it doesn't rattle when the wind blows like my old one did. Drove me nuts at night.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

clev
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the post. I have an Omni directional disc on top of the crank up directv dish and it is ****. What few stations that it does receive, fade in and out. I've been doing some research for a good quality amplified antenna, but all companies have bragging rights. I've considered the Jack but just wasn't sure. How many, here, can verify the great reception of the jack?
'12 F-350 SD CC, SRW, LWB, 4X4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front hitch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I'll watch for your post on how well the Jack works in the field vrs the Jensen (Jensen==Junk).

Mine also came with the Jensen, I did some testing and got more "stations" with a random chunk of wire then I could with the Jensen.
After my testing Northwoods told me they would stop installing the Jensen.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a great antenna! Pulls in a lot of stations.
You'll love it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
lol, by the angle of the pics I was thinking you will have to deflate your tires to move the rv .

Thank you taking the time to post the pics of your mod. Posts like this are very helpful to others who may want to do this but might be afraid to tackle it . Pics and explanations, makes others feel like they can do it as well.
I know when I undertake a mod, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment because I did something on my own.
To have others appreciate it, makes me feel even better.
Thank you again , you did a very nice job .

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
Just put the same antenna on my 1965 Airstream (last week) replacing the 50 YO antenna. I installed it in the forward skylight that we don't use so I would not have to drill through the aluminum skin. I get 19 stations under the aluminum carport and we are 40 miles from the nearest station tower. Can't wait to try in boondocking.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the post! I was just considering upgrading our Takena to the exact same antenna. Also figuring I would remove the blank above the stereo and reach in there for adjustment if it fits. Guess it does ๐Ÿ™‚

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
bummer. Mind you I watch movies more than TV. Most of my RVing time is in Mexico and the only English language station I have found is in Mazatlan.

Mind you I am a fan of the weather, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVlwoy5UywQ

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
double post.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a little taller than the fantastic vent cover, I want to say 1/2" or so and the arms would be wider than the fantastic vent cover.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD