cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review of my Ram Mega Cab 3500 DRW

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
After hauling around my Lance 881 on the F250 for years I upgraded to a 2012 Ram 3500 Megacab 3500. It took 6 months to find the truck that I wanted, not many 4x4 truck in South Florida.

The truck is a fully loaded Laramie with navigation, backup camera and the new I-6 6.7 Cummins HO with 6 speed auto. Even has ventilated seats to keep your rear cool..

The truck drives and handles like a car. I went with the 3.73 gear since it has 800 ftlbs of torque. The new Gen4 has no similarity to it older models. The motor isn't as quit as the GM or Ford but better then my old Ford was. The exhaust brake is great when loaded but the tow/haul mode isn't as great as the old Ford, it really doesn't do anything.

I swapped the stable loads from the Ford to the Ram. The Lance 881 has a 3600lbs loaded sticker on it and loaded the truck is level. Once loaded with 11 days of gear it does sag a little.

Average fuel mileage was 10.6 - 11 mpg on a 4000 mile trip. That was with an average speed of 70mph. The ride is smooth but did get some bouncing over big bumps. Not sure what Im going to do to solve this issue. In Vermont we had the camper shift on us in some extreme back roads hill crossing. The turn buckle ended up kissing the dually fender and took some paint off.

Carnage by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Here she is loaded. I hate bags so Im up for any solutions. Maybe Timbrens..

2013 NewYork Canada trip by MooringProduct, on Flickr

In all Im really happy with the truck. City driving isnt much harder in a dually but parking does have some minor issues.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.
23 REPLIES 23

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
mooring product wrote:
A The exhaust brake is great when loaded but the tow/haul mode isn't as great as the old Ford, it really doesn't do anything.

I don't know what might be the difference in your Tow/Haul mode and mine, but when engaged and a slight tap on the brake pedal and the downshifts start to occur along with the exhaust brake.

Empty in Tow/Haul mode and the rear tires will bark on the down shifts.

Never, ever, engage the Tow/Haul mode and exhaust brake on an icy downhill road! Ask me how I know! I did it as a controlled experiment (I slept in a Holiday Inn Express the night before the experiment!).

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Does the truck have a rear anti-sway bar? If not perhaps this would help on the bumps if part of the problem is bounce with side-to-side sway. I've also had some problem with TC shifting side-to-side (on two occasions knocking out the umbilical plug) and have resorted to blocking in the bed to prevent this.

Just wait till that Cummins engine breaks in. Mine is getting close to 50,000 miles and on my last trip I got an average of 16.0 mpg. This was on an 800 mile trip over the Appalachians via I-40 and back. Much better mileage than I've gotten before but it was just me and I kept my speed down.

Anyway, enjoy the new rig and I hope to see it cruisin' thru TN sometime!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a side view with nothing in the camper. Level.

Ram 3500 Lance 881 by MooringProduct, on Flickr
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Sundance07 wrote:
Airbags for sure if it were me......

Just curious, why the shortbox with a camper that size?

A longbox would position the weight further forward for better weight distribution.

The 881 is a shortbed truck camper. It would look silly in an 8' bed.

The cog is 4" behind the axle.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely air bags and with a frame mounted air tank you have your own filling station. My travel buddy is setup like that and it sure can come in handy. Nice truck.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Sundance07 wrote:

A longbox would position the weight further forward for better weight distribution.

Was going to ask the same question.
The Mega Cab only comes with a 6'4" bed with less payload.
Just me, i would have gone with the 3500 4X4 DRW 8' box.
The op said was hard to find a 4X4 in Florida.
Air Bags for sure. Best of luck.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice combination. The truck suits the camper very well. I'm envious of that Cummins engine.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking rig....looks like a little too much sag. Are you feeling any under-steer?

I'd go with bags.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro