cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rockerball trailer hitch -- has anyone tried it?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thing supposedly takes the lurch out of towing a trailer -- if anyone has tried it, we'd love to hear your opinions -- thanks in advance!

Rockerball
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
21 REPLIES 21

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boomerweps wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Do be aware, the ball in your link is a 2" ball, not many TTs use a 2" ball, none of the TTs I have owned use that size..

The only application I have for that size is my Log splitter and I used it only once to tow from the store to my home..

Most TTs you will find use 2 5/16" balls..

Most single axle TTs & cargo trailers I've checked use a 2" at GTWR of 5K# & under. Dual axle, then you're right.
Do any new trailers of any kind still use a 1&7/8"? I still have a couple. Sorry for the sidetrack.

You might find 1 7/8" ball on small light weight boat trailers, small light weight landscape trailers..

2" might find that on some small "Uhaul" platforms and single axle trailers but once again, not all that common and is for very light weight applications.

IF you have a properly fitted hitch shank to receiver you should never feel any movement between the vehicle and trailer which would necessitate such a device that the OP linked to.

Now the ONLY caveat that I could think that this is aimed for would be in the case of a hitch with a surge brake system. There IS some "play" and MUST be some "play" which could cause hitch chucking (IE jerking).. However, I suspect by removing the play (with a rubber mounted ball which is going to move around) you will now reduce the effectiveness of the surge brake controller.. Surge brakes depend on some slack in the hitch system, the brake actuator is built into and part of the tongue and must have some slack to work correctly. That slack could cause some bumping or learching and that IS "normal".

It IS nothing more than a "solution" looking for an "application".

I would not waist the $50 on it, instead, replace all of the loose fitting hitch parts or in the case with a surge brake system, live with it or take the risk of the surge brakes not working as intended..

My question to the OP of WHY do YOU need it or want to know about it was not answered..

Are YOU experiencing learching?

Or do you feel that paying $50 for a "improved" device can make your towing experience better?

Sometimes folks think just because there is a more expensive devise that it MUST be better..

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lurch?

Highly doubt it... unless something is very wrong.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Do be aware, the ball in your link is a 2" ball, not many TTs use a 2" ball, none of the TTs I have owned use that size..

The only application I have for that size is my Log splitter and I used it only once to tow from the store to my home..

Most single axle TTs & cargo trailers I've checked use a 2" at GTWR of 5K# & under. Dual axle, then you're right.
Do any new trailers of any kind still use a 1&7/8"? I still have a couple. Sorry for the sidetrack.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any lurch or jerking either you might want to check all of your connections for loose bolts.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would probably cure what happens when towing a uhaul trailer with their sloppy hitch.

My travel trailer and truck perform as one. No lurching or jerking.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's very interesting but with a stiff WDH setup, I never have any lurch. Might be great for utility trialers and such though.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why?

So, it is a rubber mounted ball..

Looks like a "solution" looking for an application..

I get zero "lurch", I get zero clunks, zero noises..

If you are getting enough slop in your ball hitch to feel it move or make noises, it it time to throw out your hitch and buy a complete new hitch assembly!

The ball is not where the lurching is coming from, it is between the hitch receiver and the hitch shank being too loose of a fit..

When my newest truck came in with a 2 and 1/2" hitch receiver, I bought a new hitch shank only to discover the new hitch shanks are just as sloppy of a fit as using a 2" to 2 1/2" hitch adapter..

So..

I get out the 250A stick welder and some 1/8 rod and proceed to run a bead around the shank to reduce the slop..

Yep, slides in smooth with minimal slop..

Additionally, I suspect that having a rubber mounted ball just might make a WD system not perform as well as it should..