Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockwood Ultra Lite vs Freedom Express Liberty Edition

samefly
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We're planning to purchase our first travel trailer this year. Both the Coachmen freedom Express Liberty Edition and Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite have caught our eye. In terms of reliability, build quality, and customer service which one takes the win?

Thanks for any help you can provide. This is an awesome forum.
13 REPLIES 13

Community Alumni
Not applicable
That's a good point. I never would have thought of that either. When we were testing for plumbing leaks during our PDI, we filled the grey tank until tub would no longer drain like usual. I guess they have to configure some slightly different because of floorplan restrictions.

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
One thing was brought to my attention in the past few weeks that I never would have thought about. A co-worker of mine bought a new Freedom Express this season and had it out on its maiden voyage. When he came back, he asked me the surest way to know if my bathroom gray tank was full. I told him when the water starts coming up out of the floor drain in the shower (I have 2 gray tanks). He said that he filled his and it came out of the bottom of the TT. It ran everywhere, and totally soaked everything under the underbelly cover. When he took it back to the dealer, they pulled the underbelly cover and saw that the vent for the gray tank was under the TT. He was told that the factory confirmed that was the design, he should have been keeping on eye on the tank level indicator and that he was responsible for the "flood". One thing to look at would be where all the vents are. My cousin has a Denali and the kitchen/bathroom sinks vent into the cabinet under the kitchen sink LOWER than the P-trap.
Always looking for the perfect site.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
stallsmi wrote:
We own the Freedom Express Liberty Edition (322RLDS). We have had many quality problems and will NEVER buy another Coachmen/Forest River product. Among problems: black tank simply fell out of the unit (it fell through the bottom enclosure), we are on our third A/C unit, water pump failed, tv and radio were mis-wired, slide outs had major leaks (design flaw), CO monitor failed, etc, etc. This was all in the first year. We have spent thousands to get the unit serviceable. We had a StarCraft prior to this and passed to our son. That trailer is still going strong after 13 years.

It sounds like you got one turd of a trailer. You spent thousands within the first year? You didn't take advantage of the warranty?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
There's not going to be much of a difference between the two. Both Forest River products so when it comes to customer service, build quality, and reliability then the two will be virtually the same. I've looked at both units in detail and they're both built well. Lots of real wood throughout with very little pressed board. I eventually went with Coachmen and we have not been disappointed. Coachmen had a construction advantage like Azdel in the walls.

So far the service on the Coachmen side has been great, but I'd imagine it would be the same one the Rockwood side. What it really boils down to is getting into each unit and figuring out which one will work better for you. A lot of times it comes down to little convenient features and how things are placed throughout the trailer.

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
We own the Freedom Express Liberty Edition (322RLDS). We have had many quality problems and will NEVER buy another Coachmen/Forest River product. Among problems: black tank simply fell out of the unit (it fell through the bottom enclosure), we are on our third A/C unit, water pump failed, tv and radio were mis-wired, slide outs had major leaks (design flaw), CO monitor failed, etc, etc. This was all in the first year. We have spent thousands to get the unit serviceable. We had a StarCraft prior to this and passed to our son. That trailer is still going strong after 13 years.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
While you're checking things inside, know in advance that the faucets in the kitchen and bath are junk....same thing for most manufacturers. You'll likely want to replace them with higher quality...yes, any standard home units fit. Some folks have not been thrilled with the sound system....we had no issues. Both of our trailers had an oven and we wouldn't consider one without it, but depends on your needs and how you camp. We would not be interested in an outdoor kitchen...would rather have that space used inside....but some love theirs. These items may not qualify as "construction quality" but it is a part of the whole package, so just some things to look at.

Happy shopping...happier camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
There are REALLY NO GOOD REASONS to choose one over the other. Construction is similar, materials might lean toward Coachmen, but that's my opinion. It's more important to find a design/floor plan that suits your needs, then CAREFULLY inspect it for quality. Take the time to look in the nooks and crannies. Lean on the table a little. Check the drawers and doors. Verify the plumbing works without leaks. Closely inspect the edges of the roof for potential leaks (maybe most important!). Consider the holding tanks size, ground clearance, etc. (how do you intend to use the trailer?). Google the dealers you're considering doing business with. Sales is one thing, service is another. Neither brand separates itself from the other.

Once again, just my opinion.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

samefly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far. Rockwood seems to have some happy customers here.

What do you like most about your trailer? What do you wish they would improve?

Rburkes
Explorer
Explorer
We like Coachmen. We are enjoying our newest one.
2017 FE 276 rkds. We traded in a 2015 FE 246 rks.
No issues of concern with either.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Both of our trailers have been Rockwood. First the ROO 23SS hybrid, then the '13 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. Both were very good quality, no issues at all, most little things could be tweaked with nothing more than a screwdriver. Not familiar with your other choice, but if we were in the market for another trailer, definitely would be another Rockwood.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Rockwood 2304DS appears to be great build quality even for a lite camper.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy any RV billed as Ultra Lite. The overall quality of RV's being built these days is terrible as the manufactures cut too many corners and there is a complete lack of quality control in the manufacturing process. I can only suspect the quality would be worse on an 'Ultra Lite' trailer because they had to cut even more corners to make it 'Ultra Lite'.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
With my money it would be Rockwood
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)