cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof ladder, yes or no?

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a new white hawk and I am on the fence if I should add a factory ladder, price isn't an issue, I'm concerned about adding holes to the roof and the siding for the ladder mounts, I think it would be useful to be able to get up on the roof to clean off the top of my slides before retracting. Just not sure if it's worth it subjecting the trailer to possible leaks... I am also considering one of the telescoping ladders to put in storage, but storage is going to be limited on my new trailer...
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH
33 REPLIES 33

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
Telescoping ladder easier to climb as it is at an angle, NOT straight up like a mounted ladder. Check your slide topper??..Would you rather place telescoping ladder next to the slide and climb up 5 rungs to check or clean topper OR climb up rear mounted ladder up to the roof, walk over to slide area to check or clean, walk back across roof to rear ladder and climb back down? My telescoping ladder takes up 4 inches of my closet space.

I agree. I have had a telescoping ladder for several years that takes very little room and always goes with us when we are camping. We have ordered a new trailer which now has a ladder option but I am getting ours without for two reasons. It is too easy for anyone to get on your roof and I have a wireless weather station that goes up there when we get set up. The other reason was that I saw a used last year model on our dealer's lot and a couple of the ladder attach points had already pulled loose.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Leaking is a very small probability and can be easily caulked. Unless you want to take a ladder with you on all camping trips, get an attached one.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I've had them with, and without (currently without). They are convenient, but are straight up. My little giant works just fine and takes up very little space in my TV. When doing maintenance, it's easier for me to move my ladder to or near the point that needs attention. That being said, I am not as nimble as I was back in my days as a paratrooper, so the straight up of an attached ladder is just not for me anymore.
Times fun when you're having flies!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a ladder installed on my Minnie after I bought it and I like having it for when I'm on the road and may have to get on the roof. My roof is walkable, so I can also use it to check whatever I need to. When home, and doing something like installing a new fan (last summer), I definitely prefer using my 8' step ladder.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
IMHO Ladder factory installed is the way to go. ..........................
Good point. Some trailers don't have the built in anchor points in the end wall for an after market ladder. Some manufactures lease out the extra support for a ladder if it is not factory installed.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
I think a good telescoping ladder is much easier to use and you can gain access to roof at any point you want.

I have both and never use the one on the trailer.

And as someone else mentioned the one on the trailer is straight up and harder to climb.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
jacko147 wrote:
We just ordered a new white hawk and I am on the fence if I should add a factory ladder, price isn't an issue, I'm concerned about adding holes to the roof and the siding for the ladder mounts, I think it would be useful to be able to get up on the roof to clean off the top of my slides before retracting. Just not sure if it's worth it subjecting the trailer to possible leaks... I am also considering one of the telescoping ladders to put in storage, but storage is going to be limited on my new trailer...

IMHO Ladder factory installed is the way to go. I have been on our new Whitehawk roof several times already since we purchased it last September!!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
With all of the rest of the screw holes in the roof, eight more for where the ladder fastens on the roof is nothing.
Bill
X2 or 3.........
Get the ladder.

The trailer we just traded didn't have one. I made sure our new TT had a attached ladder. Takes up zero storage space and is easier, for me, transitioning on and off the roof than a step ladder was. And is always there in the event of emergencies on the roof. i.e. hail damage to roof vent covers, branches inadvertently scraping the roof, etc.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. When you go though those places that seem like the tree branches are awful low you will be able to go up and check instead of wonder. It will also make it easier to do routine checks.

If you dont have an attached ladder and you need to get up there while far from home are you going to buy a ladder?

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had one on my trailer. If for no other reason than the ease of being able to take the tailgater dish up there.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
When I had an attached ladder I still had to get a step stool to reach the bottom rung, bad knees can't step that high. New fiver doesn't have attached ladder so getting out the extension ladder is no big deal. I'm only my roof 2-3 times a year anyway.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I find mine useful, and a little safer than climbing up on the roof with an extension ladder. Plus, if I'm not at home I'm not going to pack my extension ladder along with me so what if I want to check something up there when I'm camping?

I'd get one.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Telescoping ladder easier to climb as it is at an angle, NOT straight up like a mounted ladder. Check your slide topper??..Would you rather place telescoping ladder next to the slide and climb up 5 rungs to check or clean topper OR climb up rear mounted ladder up to the roof, walk over to slide area to check or clean, walk back across roof to rear ladder and climb back down? My telescoping ladder takes up 4 inches of my closet space.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
With all of the rest of the screw holes in the roof, eight more for where the ladder fastens on the roof is nothing.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Add it while you can. I have had some trailers with it and some without. I would add it since I use it regularly for roof cleaning and maintainance. Without one it becomes a pain to get up there and I would never catch some of the leaks I've caught simply because it makes it so easy to check whenever I want to. You will not be sorry!! I've never had a leak around the ladder supports/bases!!
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)