cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Vent transfers too much light...

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I have standard roof vents currently. When that sun goes in early AM, it shines on that white cover and it is way too bright in the cabin. What does everyone do to combat this? Are the vent covers the only good solution? I'd like to sleep past 5am when camping.
21 REPLIES 21

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Plasti-dip is the best!
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for posting your solution! Let us know if it works for you.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I realize leaving the lid open will let some light in. But, it won't be nearly as bad as the whole white lid acting like a skylight. Plus, what if we leave the lid closed, or even just slightly cracked.

I pulled the lid off and hit it with 3-4 coats of the remainder of Plastidip I had. I held it up to a wall light outside last night and I did not see any light come through. I think this will work for now, or atleast I will test it out and see how I like it.

For those that don't know, this paint requires no prep work and peels off with no damaged left so it's completely reversible.

20150804_182141 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

20150804_195740 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Painting the lid, but then leaving the lid open will still let a lot of light in. Unless you only have the lid open a very little bit.

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
We bought a couple of Vent Cushions. Works well for blocking light and heat.

X2, we like it dark in the bedroom so we can sleep in if we want...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:
On two previous trailers I took the vent lid cover off and got some "Plastic Use" spray paint. Painted the under side black. Worked great, cost about $4.00.

This is what I was thinking, paint the bottom side of the cover black.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
On two previous trailers I took the vent lid cover off and got some "Plastic Use" spray paint. Painted the under side black. Worked great, cost about $4.00.
Dr Quick

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I was seeing if there were other options than the $50-$100 air covers. I do like that I can keep the vents open in the rain though. However, I also don't want to spend the money :). I will check out the dark screen. Maybe that will work.

Wallyworld has smoked cover camco cover for under $30.00. A quick search had those maxx air covers at something like $39.00 if memory serves me correctly.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I think that would help. Use Plast-dip...that way if you don't like it or it doesn't work out for you the way you want, you can just peel off the plastic.

Granted...if the vent is open, it'll still let light in. At least the blacked out vent cover will block out light when closed.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
What are the chances I can paint my covers black with some spray paint/plastidip and have similar results?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spend the money on a MaxAir black or smoke colored cover. You will not have to close your vent except in the winter time. And I thought I was cheap... Frugal.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with smoke version of plastic cover. It made a world of difference.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
Only issue with putting something over the opening is, it blocks airflow then.
So your vent caps are open? I don't get it then. Unless your entire vent is covered by a maxx air cover and the vent is open inside it.

If that is the case, and you want to sleep late then you will have to forgo the airflow , cover the hole with something and turn on the ac.

We leave the roof vents (caps) open at night to let the heat escape. I was saying if we put something solid over/under the screen, it will block the airflow out the vent, which is the whole point of the vent.

I was seeing if there were other options than the $50-$100 air covers. I do like that I can keep the vents open in the rain though. However, I also don't want to spend the money :). I will check out the dark screen. Maybe that will work.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyBell wrote:
Only issue with putting something over the opening is, it blocks airflow then.
So your vent caps are open? I don't get it then. Unless your entire vent is covered by a maxx air cover and the vent is open inside it.

If that is the case, and you want to sleep late then you will have to forgo the airflow , cover the hole with something and turn on the ac.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS