cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotating tires on a dually

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a dually before. Just bought a new 2013 GMC 3500. How do you rotate the tires, or do you?
21 REPLIES 21

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
I've never rotated the rear's on any of our DRW trucks dating back to 1996. I swap the front's side to side at 10K when I change the filters. That'll do.

Congrat's on yer new truck!!! Ya got good taste in trucks.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
It should be in your owners manual, as for me I just move the fronts side to side every 10K and don't bother with the rears unless I see funny tread wear then swap left to right in pairs.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody I know with a dually stops after the first or second rotation. The reason is that gravel and debris thrown up by the front tires hits that gap between the duals and chews up the exposed 'angled' portion of the rims, rendering them unsuitable for use on the exposed front axle.

As for the pattern, I would go with what the OEM recommends, should you choose to do so.

As for the physical how-to, there are a dozen different ways, but I don't think that's what you're looking for...

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I don't rotate my tires myself. I was curious as to what pattern would be used if any. A better answer would be appreciated!

blt2ski
RVNewbie1972 wrote:
If you need to ask, then you're probably better off bringing it to a mechanic.

Not sure if that is correct, it may be the OP has rotated tires themselves for many years, but having not had a dually, does not know the general how to rotate. Then there are some like myself, that do not rotate tires, as I run tractions on the rear, and a hwy on the front. I also do not balance my rear dually tires either! THe fronts are done.

THere are a couple of x style and combo side to side ways of rotating dually's. Issues become that the inside of a rim becomes the outside, and things look ugly after a bit as insides seem to rust a bit before the outside of the rim does. OR, if you have aluminum outers, the fronts do not go to the rear, or rear to the front as they are finished on one side. So you then have to dismount and remount, balance etc the tires.

I am not sure there is a true right or wrong per say, only what will work for you in your particular circumstance.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

pf32450
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a dually but did a google search and found this link from eHow website.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6364359_rotate-tires-dually.html

Hope this helps
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

RVNewbie1972
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to ask, then you're probably better off bringing it to a mechanic.