cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running 19.5" wheels; what about the spare?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of Rickson 19.5" wheels recently and currently shopping for tires. In the meantime, I've been reading up about the 19.5" option and it would seem Rickson's website does not find having a spare as necessary.

Rickson wrote:
Getting a spare is not necessary, however, if the spare is worked into the rotation pattern, then the set will last that much longer. It's not a good idea to leave the spare under the truck and never run it, as the rubber will dry rot and the spare may not be any good when you need it. In most cases, the 225/70R19.5 is the only size that will fit in the factory spare location, although some 245s will fit. We recommend getting a spare if it will give you peace of mind, or if you plan on traveling to Alaska or Mexico.

So I'm wondering what other 19.5" wheel owners are doing about their spare tire? Do you carry one? If so, is it rotated or changed regularly to avoid a dry rot and worthless tire?

From my research, 19.5" tires are fairly available while out on the road. My insurance covers roadside service. There are several commercial tire dealers that are capable of dispatching and installing new tire in the field.

If I had a flat, I wouldn't attempt to change it anyways, that's why I got roadside assistance with my policy. Whether I'm towed in, a tire replaced on the spot, my spare installed or any other options I'm not thinking of, I do not think it's a safe option to try and fix a roadside flat without assistance.

Follow-up question;
How many 19.5" tire owners on their truck camper have had a flat while on the road? How did you handle the situation?
77 REPLIES 77

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
You can use your 285/70/17, almost the same size..if you have 245/70/19.5's.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you really travel off the beaten path, 19.5 tires are plentiful. Granted, you may not be able to match your tires, but you'd surely find something to keep you on the road for the vacation.

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my 16" OE spare with 8 lug nuts just for peace of mind. If I needed to use it I would install it in the front no matter where the flat was and make sure I had the 19.5's on the rear axle. The reason for carrying the spare is because we are not always in an area where road service would be available.