cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running fridge on generator

djg
Explorer
Explorer
I have been playing the fridge game for a month on the road and cannot keep it cold in the real hot weather.I keeps blowing the thermal coupler diode and then I get a E-3 error. On our last week of the trip when the thermal coupler blew I jumped it and still will not keep fridge cold, night time fridge goes down to 34 or so degrees but in the day if it is real hot above 90 (and then blow the coupler) it will climb as high as 55, we travel alot and sometimes go for 10 or more hours freezing ice blocks does keep the food cold but the temp on fridge still goes up been thinking about hooking my generator up and trying that does anyone have experience with this method and does it keep the fridge cold off the electric. This has been a problem since I bought this TC, temp always rise after about 4 hours of travel time right from day 1 very frustrating.

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
23 REPLIES 23

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get inside the chimney and see if you have any open space to be blocked so the convection cooling air runs mostly over the coils.
+1 to keep the fridge on propane.

djg
Explorer
Explorer
One other quick note the fridge is LP or 120 VAC is the 120 still not as good as LP but with no flame would it still cool the fridge well that's why I thought Generator

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have been running on propane, so that rules out that problem, the TC is brand new also checked the flues, no blockage, the only time it heats up is when we are moving, when stopped the fridge works like a charm tried the trap in the drip tube, also tried plugging one end in case it was sucking the cold air out. Narcodog when you say you put fans in the fridge compartment are you talking about the outside where the burner and flu are. As for the flame being blown out when you stop and open the fridge compartment the tubes at the bottom are hot running up to the boiler but the boiler doesn't feel real hot though but don't know if it should be that hot it's definitly warm though, as I said it cools great when stopped. Also even when the out side temps are in the 70's it still raises the temps in the fridge but usually only into the high 40's, weird problem though because it only happens when moving and you would think that there is enough air flow with the wind blowing in through the vents to move the air through the flues. tried blocking the bottom vents in case the flam was being blown out still no go, even though that worked a bit but the outside temps were in the 60's, as soon as they got up into the 70's doesn't matter what I do the temps still rise, thats why I thought about the generator, no flame to blow out, even thought about going to a threeway fridge and run with a inverter and the genny.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Have you ever messed with the drip tube in the back? Often well meaning folks move them thinking they should be routed straight down for example. Some drip tubes need to trap a bit of water to keep the warm air from entering.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
OP, keep in mind that ALL absorption fridges struggle to maintain interior temps when ambient rises above 90 degrees. Out here in the desert people use various crutches, first park with fridge side in the shade, add fan(s) in the compartment (bottom pusher, top sucker or both), install a sunshade over fridge area when parked and some even use a box fan blowing into the compartment.

Personally I ditched the absorption type fridge when we went from Class A to Truck Camper and now park where ever I want and our compressor fridge keeps things properly cooled no matter what ambient temps are as it runs off solar charged batteries.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Although not stated; Are you running the fridge on Propane when traveling?
You state the temp increases when you are traveling. That speaks of either poor airflow over the the exterior coils or flame being blown out excessively and relighting while traveling because of airflow near burner assembly
Is it a Norcold.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
12v is not the way to go, ever. I put tow small fans in my fridge compartment one at the bottom and one on the top. A pusher and puller, hooked them to a lighted switch and when the temps get high I turn them on.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, propane burner provides the most cooling BTU, far more than the electrical heating pad.

Check uTube videos for cleaning the back of the fridge, your coils could be blocked, or the flu, etc.

Maybe you need booster fans to force air over the coils.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Your fridge will run colder on propane.
Try one of the battery operated fans inside the fridge.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+