Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV 7 pole plug won't fit. Help please

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow RVers,

I just bought a 2011 Silverado that already has a GM 7 pole blade connector. It has 4 grooves inside with the wide one on top. Our RV 7 pole plug won't fit in. It was too tight. Does anyone know where I can get the correct plug please? I looked in the internet and found nothing. I'm probably looking in the wrong places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Your tow vehicle 7 pin plug looks like the same factory plug I on my 2009 GMC Sierra. It should be only require your trailer plug to have one raised piece on top that fits into the slot in your truck's plug. I do have to give mine a solid push to make a connection. If you arent getting any power have you checked the truck plug pins to make sure you are getting power to the back of the truck? If you have power at the truck you might want to purchase a new trailer plug and see if it fits any better.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
All 6 outer clips along with the center connection and the large alignment tab look like they would fit. However, inside your truck's connection looks a bit dirty... maybe try to clean it out a bit using some paper towels with electrical silicone spray??? The spray might help the RV plug slide in better too.

BTW, here is a GM 7-pin connector being sold on ebay that has a picture which looks identical to yours with the 3 additional small groves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-Silverado-Tahoe-GMC-Sierra-Trailer-Plug-7-Pin-/301856958676?hash=it...
I love me some land yachting

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
It's really tight and very hard to plug it in. I really had to force it in and there is still no power. The plug doesn't feel like the right one because it only has one raised groove on top and completely round all the way while the connector has 3 narrow grooves.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the correct plug. It might have some damage. They are available at most any auto parts store.

DO_N_DAT
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you what it takes to hook up the electrical.
1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel, 2003 Triumph 365L

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted 3 images of my connector and plug. Hope these will help explain my dilemma.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just noticed WALMART had those today when shopping back in the RV Camper section...

The RV uses the BLADE TYPE connectors not the ROUND PINS...

Looks similar to this...

The connector on the trailer side looks like this. You can see the extended grove that is the guide for the connector to slip into the truck side...

Photos from google images

After it is all inserted the lid then locks down on top of the trailer connector to keep it is place...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Post a photo
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
How do I post pictures in my message?

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're sure you're not putting it in upside down. There's a large 1/2" grove in the female receiving part to match up with the same sized ridge in the trailer plug.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
whosgreg wrote:
I just bought a 2011 Silverado that already has a GM 7 pole blade connector. It has 4 grooves inside with the wide one on top. Our RV 7 pole plug won't fit in. It was too tight. Does anyone know where I can get the correct plug please? I looked in the internet and found nothing.

What you're describing makes no sense ... pretty well every trailer built these days is wired with the ubiquitous 7-pin Bargman connector. Likewise your truck should be wired with the matching (flat) 7-pin Bargman - there is no other option. Here are the pinouts for the 7-pin Bargman connector.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
etrailer.com