cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Cameras

Zircon
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4x4 3500 extended cab long box dually to carry our ALP Adventurer 86 SBS. We purchased the MyLink infotainment system as an option. There is a backup camera in the tailgate that will, of course, be removed when the camper is loaded, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to integrate an RV camera ... or 3 camera system ... with the MyLink system once the tailgate and backup camera are removed? Guess the warranty would be voided anyway even if we're possible to use them?

Also, since that 2015 model is wider than the comparable 2014 model, I was wondering if anyone would know if there will be a problem with fitting that camper in the box. I've purchased the extensions ... not installed yet ... for the front jacks, so there won't be a problem there, but because of the width, I don't know if there will be a problem with the camper overhangs at the rear. I checked with ALP before ordering the 2015, but they were unable to tell me anything.
15 REPLIES 15

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Since our Ford came with a camera system, I wanted to take advantage of the hard-wired equipment.

Although I'm not sure how the Chevy compares, I bought a wiring harness from Ford and a simple license plate camera (TaoTronics) on-line and am very happy with the set-up. The camera only cost $16.99 and has held up for about 2-years so far.

For the price and performance, I'm very satisfied.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if they are good enough to see little children? You know some are very small.

I never park unless I can pull forward and I actually would rather get a wildlife cam for when we are camping and see whats out there at night. Might be surprised.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
brholt wrote:
For a Ford truck I am very tempted to buy this:

Back up camera to work with OEM system

They have GM style cams too.

https://camera-source.com/products/gm-oe-fit/2010-2013-gm-truck-salt-spreadercamper-camera-kit

I guess i need to buy one

FAIL.
I contacted the company and they said it won't work on my 09 "because the connector is different on the 09"

Sounds odd that one model year uses a different connector. (09 was the first year of the GM backup cam in the Silvy)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Just figure out how to swap the power feed so that you can use the camera while going forward as well as in reverse. That's why I tied my camera into the clearance lights.

Pretty sure on the Ford the camera is always on. Some people have figured out how to use the up-fitter switches to trigger the "reverse" input to the display controller to switch the display to the camera.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
If you are lucky enough to have upfitter switches in the cab of your truck like in my F250, then you can easily wire the camera to the switch like I did. It's great to be able to turn it off and on at will.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Just figure out how to swap the power feed so that you can use the camera while going forward as well as in reverse. That's why I tied my camera into the clearance lights.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
brholt wrote:

They have GM style cams too.

https://camera-source.com/products/gm-oe-fit/2010-2013-gm-truck-salt-spreadercamper-camera-kit

I guess i need to buy one

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II

Looks like a very nice camera at a reasonable price

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
languiduck wrote:
I would buy another factory camera and fabricate a mount for it in a good spot for when the TC is loaded. Then it's just plug and play. Not sure where the Chevy plug is but on my friend's Ford it is behind the bumper so it's easy to unplug.

My 2009 has the factory camera in the tailgate.

I looked in to buying another OEM camera, but cheaped out and removed the camera from the tailgate handle bezel and mounted it to the rear of the camper.

I don't drive the truck much with the camper off, so not having a back up camera doesn't hinder me much.

I will also add that I took the tailgate off in 2009, about 2 months after I bought the truck (when I bought the camper) and haven't put it back on.

Someday I will buy another OEM camera, but when I looked in to it before it was $300+

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you want to use the same screen and plugs, that's what it's gonna cost. A good stand alone setup will cost that much or more.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
dealer price for a camera is aprox $160.00 not exactly cheap 😞
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy another factory camera and fabricate a mount for it in a good spot for when the TC is loaded. Then it's just plug and play. Not sure where the Chevy plug is but on my friend's Ford it is behind the bumper so it's easy to unplug.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Zircon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply, Greg. I was wondering about the tailgate connections, so I really appreciate that information! We only took delivery of the 3500 a few days ago and I haven't removed the tailgate yet or done anything else because first of all I have to take it on a 400 mile trip to get the tie downs installed ... took almost eight weeks to get those in after I ordered them ... livin' out in the sticks here, you know. 🙂

If I have any trouble I'll certainly take you up on your offer. Thanks again!

gregchambers
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the same situation with a 2015 GMC 3500. I just communicated yesterday with Ed at "cubbycam" who is in San Jose CA and specializes in GMC cameras. I already sent him pictures of the backup camera connector and it is new for 2015. He is working on trying to find a source for the six pin connector. I don't know if you have tried removing your tailgate yet but GMC did not make the wiring part easy! The wire from the tailgate camera goes through two wire holders under the tailgate that you need to open and release and then terminates in a junction block on the frame to the left of the spare tire. Very challenging to figure out how to release the connector the first time! There is also a "dummy" connector next to the real one that your are supposed to remove and put in place of the real one to keep the socket clean when the tailgate is off. Let me know if you need help with wire disconnecting. You can google cubbycam and see their offerings. Hopefully they will find the connector and then they said they can make me a wire/socket/camera of any length I need that I can mount on my camper.