cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing through Colorado - worried about curvy roads

cavrob
Explorer
Explorer
First time RVing and travelling from Toronto through the Appalachians and the plains back to Vancouver. Worried about driving through Colorado. Don't want to take an Interstate the whole way. Want to drive by way of Aspen or Rocky Mountain Park west towards Salt Lake. Are these roads really windy or can I tow my 27-foot trailer?
13 REPLIES 13

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
been towing all over the western USA since the '80's, much of the time with my '65 Chevy van as the TV, now with a Suburban. I think the curvy roads are the most fun, sure beats long interstate stretches. Lately we like taking the blue roads (two lanes), we see a lot more country, less crowded and more fun to drive. We go around 60 MPh.

The winds are the worst on flat land, where they can come roaring along without hitting obstacles like mountains, plus there are no trees to indicate they are blowing in the desert so you can get hit with a rogue wind that can push you into the other lane (bad if you're on a two lane road). Had to pull off a couple of times with the flat front van, cause I could hardly make any headway against a strong headwind. As others have said, pay attention to weather reports and stay off the road if it looks bad.

I have a Mountain Pass book that lists all steep mountain passes in all western states, it gives me exact location where the uphill starts, how steep it is (% slope) mile by mile, where the emergency ramps are for semi's, how curvy the roads are and of course elevations. It mentions whether or not trucks can make the curves and recommends trucks take another route, and tells if there are passing lanes or not, or is 4 or 2 lane, and even how narrow the roads are. I have altered our planned routes based on this book.

In Colorado and other states with mountain passes, they usually post signs at the bottom of the pass what the slope is and whether or not you should use it if you're towing. We tried one in Utah that said don't use it to tow, and ended up almost losing our brakes on the downhill side. Going down is worse than climbing. Some slopes can be 10% or more, I avoid those now.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Where in the Appalachians are you planning on going? Someone stated here already that the roads in the Appalachians can be worse than out west. I can agree. I live in East TN and I may be of some help. Just ask.

cavrob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I have as a result changed our itinerary and will avoid the Colorado Rockies this time. Will drive to Albuquerque then up through eastern Utah towards Salt Lake. And I will keep all your suggestions re driving speeds, strong winds, etc. in mind as we travel along. Thanks!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If high winds are predicted, stay where you are at for another day.

Drive the posted speed limit for trucks.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavrob wrote:
First time RVing and travelling from Toronto through the Appalachians and the plains back to Vancouver. Worried about driving through Colorado. Don't want to take an Interstate the whole way. Want to drive by way of Aspen or Rocky Mountain Park west towards Salt Lake. Are these roads really windy or can I tow my 27-foot trailer?

When do you plan to travel? That will make a huge difference in responses.

If it's prior to Memorial Day, you won't be able to cross Trail Ridge Road in RMNP. And if you have a concern about mountain driving, you probably would not want to. It's high elevation, topping out at over 12000 feet and 12 miles of it is above timberline. There are all sorts of twisty/winding hairpin curves on the west side enroute to Grand Lake.

If you go to the ROADS AND ROUTES section here and search the forums for both Aspen and RMNP, you'll get all sorts of information.

With a trailer, there is only one way to get to Aspen, and that's CO 82 but coming from Glenwood Springs. As noted previously, you can't go over Independence Pass, and it doesn't open until Memorial Day or shortly after.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
For going through Aspen, CO, that indicates you believe you will be using Highway 82 east of Aspen. You can't take your trailer on that stretch of highway.

This, from the CDOT page specific to Independence Pass: "Absolutely no vehicles over 35 feet in length (this includes a vehicle and trailer that, together, exceed 35 feet) may use the Pass at any time. These pass restrictions lie between MP 42 (Aspen side) and MP 84.2 (Leadville/Twin Lakes side, about one mile west of the junction with US 24)."

I had a smaller trailer, and didn't use the pass, due to a very narrow stretch on the west side of the pass. Don't plan on using Hwy 82 east of Aspen.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest problem you will probably encounter is having a line of irked drivers behind you on a lot of NC mountain roads, if thatโ€™s the way you go.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavrob wrote:

Quite frankly, you are right to be concerned - March is a windy month just about every where. Yesterday saw dangerously high winds on I80 outside Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Several things you can do - if you are pulling a travel trailer ensure you are using a weight distribution hitch with at least 1000 pound bars with built in anti-sway. If winds are predicted to be 30 mph or higher get off the road and find a sheltered place to park, preferably pointing into the wind. Sadly, other states are not as good about tracking and reporting winds as Wyoming.
However, a very useful app is WindAlert.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it comes to towing I don't have a high tolerance for any towing anomalies. I have friends who are much more acceptable of things being a little squirrely. So take this in account for my response. Last summer we drove all over the state of Colorado, went over five or so passes and alot of off interstate driving.
The interstates are not bad and there are plenty of slow drivers to tuck behind. The side roads can be a diffrent story. For the most part they are not a problem but keeping up with posted speed on them I found to be challenging and over time it began to wear on me. I would pull over when I could but some of the roads did not offer many spots for that. All in all I did not enjoy the tow as much as I would of liked to but it was a new trailer and I don't think I had it dialed in all the way. We are heading back again this summer and I have tweaked the rig a bit since that time so we will see.
I suggest researching the routes you plan on taking with google maps and road view so you can see what you will encounter

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Went cross country, SC to WA in 2016 pulling a 28 ft TT. Came back thru CO...no problem. The strongest winds were in SD and WY. With my WDH and sway control, she towed just fine with little noticeable affect of the strong winds.

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
I can't really speak for Colorado as I have not traveled there very much, but don't underestimate the roads in the Appalachians/Smoky Mountains. Some get very narrow and curvy.

Do your research on your route with the trailer before hand. A few years ago we were traveling in our car and just plugged in the address to Bryson City, NC in the GPS and took off from Houston, TX. We ended up on a road outside of Bryson for about 50 miles that was about the narrowest and most curvy road I have ever been on. Was a blast in my car, but would have been a nightmare in my truck and trailer.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine. Colorado main roads are no worse than any others in mountain regions and your rig is not that long. Enjoy the trip.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be just fine on nearly all interstates and US highways. Do a search here for a term like "mountain driving" to understand how to handle both upslopes and, critically, downslopes.
Lynn