cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salvage Yard for travel trailer

vatchers
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used travel trailer a year and half ago and last April we had to have the side of the trailer repaired because of water damage that we were unaware of when we bought it. The whole front side came apart as we were driving. Not a pretty site seeing the insulation flying out of the trailer. Now the other side is coming apart at the seams and duct tape is what held it together on our way home from Yosemite. Insurance will not cover it again because they said it was a pre existing condition and will also not total it out. So the recommendation made to us was to sell it off to a salvage yard or sell it for pieces. Everything works inside and out just bad water damage in the frame and would cost more to repair it then it is worth. Does anyone know of a RV salvage yard in the Central CA area?
5 REPLIES 5

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any pics of the damage?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
I know some TTs are repairable. the next set of questions will be what will it cost and what is the unit worth both to you and on the market.
I know a shop that used to do this work and it was fun to watch the work. they would roll the siding back and make new wood frame work then re-skin and insulate then new inside paneling. always looked good when done. then you have to ask is this something you are capable of doing and do you have a site to work on it. We have a friend that raised the roof and totally converted an Eagle bus in the street in front of their house on weekends. had the neighbors all involved. then it went back to the storage unit on Sunday evening till next Friday.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If I had the mechanical ability, I'd consider a complete dissemble. The appliances can be set aside, possibly sold or reused as spares. The walls can be used for something or just sold as scrap. The insulation and junk inside would need a dumpster, and the frame of the TT can always be repurposed or just sold as a bare trailer or hauled to a recycling place for scrap.

I would never let people "pick and pull". Far better just to offer it on freecycle or CL for a nominal fee (free, people don't bother for some odd reason.)

Then check with an accountant -- you might be able to write the rig off your taxes as a loss.

vatchers
Explorer
Explorer
Canyon-Cruiser wrote:
Maybe thiswill help or at least get you started:

http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656

Thank you! I will take a look at the site.

Canyon-Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe thiswill help or at least get you started:

http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656
2014 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19RBS/2010 GMC Canyon Crew Cab/E2 WDH/Primus IQ controller