cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sansui TV Dead First Day

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up the new travel trailer on Monday. TV worked great at the dealer and at home that evening. Tuesday go out to the trailer to load and organize a few things so I turned on the TV. Came on great but I got busy so I'm not sure how long it lasted but when I finally looked at it the screen was dark blue. Sound was fine.

Finally turned it off and went on about my tasks. A few hours later decided to try it again. Came on great, but within a minute or two, it died again. Same thing blue screen but sound was fine.

I've now duplicated it 3 or 4 times.

Dealer says I have to actually bring it in before he'll order a new TV. He wants his techs to verify the TV is broke and "not just a setting". No biggie except the dealer is over an hour away.

The set didn't come with a manual, but I've run through all the settings and there is nothing that says turn the damn screen off after x minutes but leave the sound on.

When I googled the issue I did find an identical problem that the recommendation was to replace a capacitor.

Not really looking for a solution, just venting before I call the dealer back and demand that they order a new set.
36 REPLIES 36

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
kgarrett9999 wrote:
UPDATE: The TV repair shop called and said my TV is ready and the technician will deliver it this evening on his way home.

Of course I still have a crappy/cheap TV that may well fail again, but hey at least it works and when it does work, the picture is fantastic.

Don't be too quick, so far you don't know it works. Good luck.

It did work for at least an hour after the tech delivered it. I guess the real test is does it work two days in a row?

Oh well, I have mounted a 2nd TV in the bedroom that I already owned and to be honest, I'm not sure how much we'll actually use the TV when we're camping. We go camping to get away and to enjoy local activities. I'm sure it will be used, but I'd rather sit outside and read a book (on my tablet of course).

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

RCA 22" hd/tv/dvd combo 12 volt $253.00. Not mass marketed, and suited for rigs and campers.

Hang that fully self contained unit on a wall and run a 12vt plug. Done deal 12vt movies boondocking.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15"wide screen hd w/ internal dvd (12 volt!). I purchased it off a truckers website and not available as mass market wally world. Look around you may find diamonds in the rough.

I refuse to buy junk!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FoCoNoCo wrote:

And the new one from Walmart will probably fail too. I finally got sick of returning their chinese junk.

Good point - I wouldn't buy Chinese junk from WalMart when I can buy the same Chinese junk from Best Buy....Face it - most consumer electronics now are made in China, Korea, Taiwan, etc., NO MATTER WHAT BRAND OR WHERE SOLD. Not just WalMart - it's every retailer. WalMart, Target, Best Buy, K-Mart, Sears, Sam's CLub, Costco - they all sell the same brands made in the same place.

Bingo. It's all about who's cheapest any more.

FoCoNoCo
Explorer
Explorer

And the new one from Walmart will probably fail too. I finally got sick of returning their chinese junk.

Good point - I wouldn't buy Chinese junk from WalMart when I can buy the same Chinese junk from Best Buy....Face it - most consumer electronics now are made in China, Korea, Taiwan, etc., NO MATTER WHAT BRAND OR WHERE SOLD. Not just WalMart - it's every retailer. WalMart, Target, Best Buy, K-Mart, Sears, Sam's CLub, Costco - they all sell the same brands made in the same place.

tim_and_amy
Explorer
Explorer
don't feel bad, we spent over 6 mos on trying to get our Haier LCD TV replaced, our dealer jumped through hoops to help us and so did Kodiak, but we finally ended up making threats of Small claims court to Haier, TV showed up 3 days later.
The it too suffered from a bad cap. The second one we hadn't had an issue with at all.
2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel

oldokie
Explorer
Explorer
He is busy counting that $37,000.
2001 excursion 7.3 diesel
2013 starcraft autumn ridge 27bh

oldokie
Explorer
Explorer
kgarrett9999 wrote:
When I first turn it on I have a picture for about 2-3 minutes. That is when I'm able to run through the settings. I was really being facetious about the settings. No TV has a setting that says turn me off after 2-3 minutes of enjoyment. There is a sleep timer, but that turns the entire TV off, not just the display.

Check what before they order a new one? The screen is blue and not displaying a pic. Nothing to actually check. Does it on both the antenna and DVD. All connections are good and solid.
Actually his reason for me bringing it in is that if it isn't broke and he orders a new one then it comes out of his pocket.

I've had plenty of other businesses order and even send me replacement items without the "broken" unit to check. Many ask that you simply use the same box that the replacement came in to return the old unit.

Even driving over there with just the TV isn't really a good option. It is 150+ miles round trip. And to top it off, he wouldn't even setup an appointment because he was too busy this week due to end of month sales and told me to call back next week to set an appointment.

When I spend $37,000 I actually expect to have better customer service.
2001 excursion 7.3 diesel
2013 starcraft autumn ridge 27bh

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
kgarrett9999 wrote:
UPDATE: The TV repair shop called and said my TV is ready and the technician will deliver it this evening on his way home.

Of course I still have a crappy/cheap TV that may well fail again, but hey at least it works and when it does work, the picture is fantastic.

Never know, it might last several years.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
kgarrett9999 wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
Squeeky wheel gets the oil... 🙂

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
It took several days, but the manufacturer did finally authorize in home service despite the fact that their policy is to not provide in home service without an itemized receipt from a retail store.
It did require that I follow up my email a couple of days in a row. I guess that they got tired of my whining and they were responsible for the repair costs anyway.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
kgarrett9999 wrote:
Well, the TV manufacturer is being somewhat helpful. Unfortunately, since I don't have an itemized receipt their policy is to not provide the in home service stated in their warranty. The customer service rep did talk to her supervisor multiple times and then asked that I send the documentation that I do have which is the Holiday RV MSRP sheet and my Purchase Agreement.
She didn't promise anything but said she would take that to her supervisor and see what she could get done. Otherwise I will have to take it to the nearest service center which I believe is about half the distance of going to the dealer.
Come to find out, the warranty on the TV is almost up because of the lack of an itemized receipt showing date of purchase/serial #, etc. The TV was manufactured in Jan 2013, so their policy is to give 18 months coverage (the 12 month warranty plus 6 months grace period) when itemized documentation isn't available. That means that the TV is out of warranty next month.
Then to top it all off the MSRP listed for the TV is over $1100 for what we all know can be purchased for $250-400 at a discount store. Of course I didn't pay MSRP for the RV, but still that seems a bit outlandish.

It's always good to hear when the manufacturer steps up to do the right thing.