cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sat radio antenna

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure this has been come up before but I could not find it .
Will my roof mount sat antenna work under a camper top ?
49 REPLIES 49

smlford
Explorer
Explorer
I went to my dealer and gave them my vin also. I plugged in the new parts to confirm both the gps and sat radio worked which it did.
Next week I'll tackle the install..

joro2548
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went to my Ford dealer and gave them s/n of my f350 and they matched the proper antenna and cable for my truck. Installing today and will see if it works.

joro

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Joe for all the infoormation on the modification for the antenna.

Here are a few things I have learned after my first, failed, install.

There are several antennas, all with the Ford part # 10E893-A. But they are different and the Ford parts numberingsystem is a mystery to me. The first antenna I received was for "With Navigation System ; Global Positioning System Module (GPSM) part 893 $58.92." I have a Lariat Ultimate with Sat radio and navigation system. This part does NOT work with my configuration. After calling Ford and consulting with my dealer we determined that the part I needed is "HD Radio Broadcast ; Includes Attaching Hardware, AM/FM/Satellite Antenna Part 893B $42.33", seen on this diagram

This item is working fine with my configuration even though both antennas seem to have the same part number.

A few more notes on the install. I drilled a 5/8" hole in the plastic cowl and the antenna fits nicely through that hole. The space under the plastic cowl is very tight but I used a 10mm short socket and very small wrench to tighten the antenna bolt. As the bolt is tightened it expands the metal teeth on the antenna mount and I have a nice tight fit on the cowl. The rest of the install was a snap. Here's a shot of the wrong antenna and the mounting bolt.

Again, thanks to Joes for his work on this mod.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
After consulting with Ford there are 3 different antennas, all with the 10E893 number but for my unit I need DC3Z-10E893-E. When I ordered I got part number 893-A.

Correction to the above. The 893-E module is NOT an external antenna, it is mounted up under the dash. The hockey puck antenna is either an 893-A or 893-B.

Still not getting Sat radio but the GPS works fine. Need to do more troubleshooting to find out why the sat radio is giving an antenna error message.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2013 F350 and just finished the install and verified the connections. The GPS is working fine but I am getting no Sirius XM reception. Head unit says antenna fault. Guess I'll need to check part numbers as well. The roof antenna is definately a different shape from the part number I ordered and installed.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
CaFordGuy wrote:
Powelligator wrote:
CaFordGuy wrote:
I did it his mod, mainly for GPS. It works great. However, the part number listed above is for a Sat Radio only and does not work for GPS. (I tried it). Best bet is to take your truck's VIN to the local Ford dealer and have them look up the part number for a replacement for the antenna that is on your truck. Note that the Sat Radio only antenna is about $40 but the combo radio+GPS is about $65.

What year/make/model truck do you have? The part numbers I listed above are correct for a 2014 Ford Super Duty.

-Joe

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat. I bought and installed that PN. That Sat radio worked fine, the GPS did't. Went to the local Ford dealer and they verified that it was the wrong part, it was for an non Nav/GPS truck.

Model year 2012 used the Generation 1 Sync system. 2013 and up use Generation 2 Sync. That might be the problem. I've used the above part numbers in four installations (2013 and up Super Duties) with no problems. I have not moved the antenna in a 2012 or older.

-Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

CaFordGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:
CaFordGuy wrote:
I did it his mod, mainly for GPS. It works great. However, the part number listed above is for a Sat Radio only and does not work for GPS. (I tried it). Best bet is to take your truck's VIN to the local Ford dealer and have them look up the part number for a replacement for the antenna that is on your truck. Note that the Sat Radio only antenna is about $40 but the combo radio+GPS is about $65.

What year/make/model truck do you have? The part numbers I listed above are correct for a 2014 Ford Super Duty.

-Joe

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat. I bought and installed that PN. That Sat radio worked fine, the GPS did't. Went to the local Ford dealer and they verified that it was the wrong part, it was for an non Nav/GPS truck.

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
Success! New antenna mounted. XM lives as does Navigation. Its not quite secure on the plastic as it is up on the roof so I need to figure out a way to secure it to the plastic by the windshield wipers a bit better. Perhaps some RTV around the edges. Open to suggestions.

Bruce

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
CaFordGuy wrote:

-Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to tag along on this thread because in my mind it is similar.
I just took the plunge with an EZ Pass. Am I going to encounter the same problem with the TC overhang and the transponder? The instructions I got were to mount it up near the top of the windshield. Anyone on here use EX Pass. Our Northstar has the north/south bed configuration and really covers the truck cab.
Thanks
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i used one of my old magnetic antennas on my ram.very simple swap.why they put the antenna on the rear of the cab is a real head scratcher.my mag is mounted on top of my winch box.youtube the swap if you're unsure.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

CaFordGuy
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My sirius antenna worked well under a jeep wrangler hardtop. I had a roll bar mounted metal tab.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, good to know. I think my antenna and cable are due in tomorrow for the install. Will see how much cable I get before determining how far forward we are going.
BG