cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sattelite hookup

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 coax plugs behind my TV, one is labeled antenna/cable with a switch to switch between cable and the power booster for the antenna and the other one is labeled sattelite. I have one connection at the back of the trailer it works with cable from the pedestal but not with the sattelite dish I have. I have searched all over the trailer for another possible connection for the sattelite but haven’t found anything. Any ideas?
15 REPLIES 15

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Gonna check it out next weekend when I go by the trailer.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a single cable setup that would allow park cable but not SAT.
With your single cable setup, I think you might need to split the signal .
I would read this and follow silverado23's advice.
read the entire post.

Diplexers are made to combine then split certain frequency ranges so they can be sent over a single coax.

https://heartlandowners.org/archive/index.php/t-30234.html

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
Potentially, there is nothing wired to the satellite plate... you might have to pull the cover to see. The builder may have just set the connections up for antenna / cable as most users would be in that "mode". IF you were a sat user, then the assumption might be that you wouldn't use those two modes and left you with a "manual swing". If so, I added a two coax plate and connected the original connection to it, then ran a some "jumper coax" off the back of the second coax to the "ant / coax" plate where the outside connection would have been connected. I used a short coax cable to jumper across the "two coax plate" to use the system for cable tv.... but when I used my sat, I used that short jumper coax to run to direct to the receiver. Thus, there is no extra coax having to be run / pulled... and I have access to catv / ant / sat at any given time by just changing jumpering and / or pushing the button.

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I am not near my trailer right now but I have 2 wallplates behind where the TV goes. One is labeled cable/antenna with the antenna booster button and another wallplate that is labeled sattelite.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
ok... now that you have provided some more info on your actual setup... but there are still some issue as you mentioned earlier that there was a switch to switch between the "two"... and now you are saying there is a "button for the amp"... so it is somewhat confusing. Can you post a picture of your plates or at least the plate numbers?

Lastly, ensure that the "AMP button" is NOT pressed when you are connected to the sat coax on IF there is any kind of "back wiring" behind the plates.

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
Actually mine has 2 wallplates. One plate has a white coax connector that has the wording antenna/cable with the power amplifier button and the other wall plate has a blue coax connector with the wording sattelite. I have 1 coax connector by the back bumper that is a white plug that has worked for park cable. I guess I will check the roof again and see if I missed something. I emailed Pacific Coachworks asking about it and got no response.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
to further clarify things on the wineguard plate (if its the one stated), is IF you are pressing the switch to ON, that will likely cause a problem for the sat feed. The switch needs to be OFF and the receiver connected to the "aux/sat coax" port.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
bobndot wrote:
It amazes me how it takes adults 2 hours to figure out what 18 yr old assemblers did wrong in 2 minutes.
Take the rig in for repair and it will take weeks to fix it. :B

:B been there...actually was 6 mos.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
It amazes me how it takes adults 2 hours to figure out what 18 yr old assemblers did wrong in 2 minutes.
Take the rig in for repair and it will take weeks to fix it. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Las Vegas Proud wrote:
We got a dish tailgator and we ended just running the cable through a small window for the week we were on vacation. I might take the plate off the wall and look but I would think there should be a sattelite hook up since I have 2 connectors.

I use a Tailgator with a 211k .

I almost ran a separate cable line but I finally figured it out.

I set it up as in the Jayco link with the roof antenna booster 'off' using the jumper cable wall plate.

My wall plate was installed upside down, so it took a little time to get it figured out, besides having the cable fall off the connector.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We just had the dealer put in a second coax connection designated just for our tailgater satellite. We decided to place it close to the dinette so we could put the tv on the table so both of us could watch without turning or twisting for viewing.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
check the model number of the plate... depending on which wineguard (eg. rv 7542) may have been wired incorrectly.... but more likely that you are not using it correctly. You may only have to move the connection that say "tv". NOTE: on the model stated, the switch is for "on /off" of the built in amp.

IF said plate is wired correctly, you need to take the satellite feed for the receiver off from the top coax connector (marked aux/sat). This feed bypasses the "electronics" in the plate and feeds the incoming signal from your "previously stated" outside coax connection which should be connected to your dish / LNB. IF you are using an antenna to your TV, you then need to take the coax feed mark TV to your TV set and select the switch "on" to cause the amp to work with your ceiling antenna. Further, if you are using CATV instead on the outside input. Again, you use the coax marked TV to your tv BUT you set the switch OFF to NOT use the amplifier.

I use a similar setup for my sat setup using an older wineguard but the operation is the same.

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
We got a dish tailgator and we ended just running the cable through a small window for the week we were on vacation. I might take the plate off the wall and look but I would think there should be a sattelite hook up since I have 2 connectors.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
This shows the wire setup in my Jayco. AFAIK, it's the same basic common setup that is used in TT's.

1. If you are not getting sat signal, turn off the power booster and try it.

2. I would test your cable setup, bypass all the TT cables by running the sat dish cable thru the window or door direct to the cable box and HDMI the box to the tv. Once you know the dish works then look at the Jayco setup and compare that to yours.

If you are not getting a signal through the cables at your wall plate , I would unscrew it and look behind it to be sure they are making a connection.
My cable was not making contact due the thin TT wall construction which compressed the cable at the connector. The cable pulled off the connector.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f34/coax-connections-in-27dsrl-19274.html