cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on trailer light issues

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready for a trip this weekend and just picked up my trailer from storage. I noticed whenever I use the right turn signal all of my running lights flash. I get normal operation for the left turn signal and when I turn on my head lights the running lights all stay solid but use of my right turn signal causes both my trailer tail lights to flash like I have my hazards on. Anyone have a clue or similar issue? I'm not the sharpest dude out there so please be kind and simple.
11 REPLIES 11

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Check bulbs and use dielectric grease on all your connections

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
phone man wrote:
Looks like just a bad bulb. I swapped L&R tail light bulbs and the trouble followed. Looks like I am gonna cruise to the auto parts store. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks for the replies so far.

Interesting. Apparently the stop/turn filament broke leaving a long enough piece to flip over and short to the tail light filament causing all the tail and clearance lights to light up when the turn signal was on. Never heard of that before but can see how easily it could happen. Well worth remembering.

Yes, very rare but it happened to me once. Worth remembering (unless it's an LED lght.)
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
phone man wrote:
Looks like just a bad bulb. I swapped L&R tail light bulbs and the trouble followed. Looks like I am gonna cruise to the auto parts store. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks for the replies so far.

Interesting. Apparently the stop/turn filament broke leaving a long enough piece to flip over and short to the tail light filament causing all the tail and clearance lights to light up when the turn signal was on. Never heard of that before but can see how easily it could happen. Well worth remembering.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest getting some electrical grease and not WD-40 to go on the lamp bases before installing new lamps.
Clean socket good. The electrical grease will inhibit corrosion.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Spray a little WD-40 on the tow vehicle connection and the trailer connection, then work them together a little. Bet this fixes it.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
AGREED with the ground diagnosis.

Sometimes just a quick "eraser" will clean the contacts. Other times, they may need "lifted" a tad to make better contact (careful not to bust them). Of Course I am assuming the standard OLD bulb.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
If you know it used to work properly, and no one has messed with the wiring, then you know that the wiring is not crossed or wired wrong.

Then it would be a contact cleaning or socket, etc. repair job.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Most likely a ground problem. Bad grounds can do weird things to the lights.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Corroded lamp socket in the right side!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Three things come to mind: