Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting Tow Vehicle for Travel Trailer

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone...
I have scoured many forums reading about the same question I am asking, but always have different weights and sizes, so I am going to try to get advice that is specific to my situation.

I have recently purchased a 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL TT. I just couldn't pass it up as it was original owner, used 6 times, and garaged!!! It is in like new condition. I will be living in this TT with 2 kids for a portion of every month, and storing it between trips. I will only be towing it about 40 miles or so from storage to campsite, and about once a year I will be towing it about 1000 miles for vacation camping trips. Only throwing that in as to show the limited towing I will be actually doing. The other part of the equation is that I will be driving my tow vehicle to and from the stored trailer, and am trying to get the best mileage for that portion of tow vehicle use.

That being all said and done, I am torn like so many others on whether to purchase a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. My trailer has an UVW of 7592 pounds,a GVWR of 8900, a hitch weight of 830 pounds, and a total length of 36'11". It will be towed fairly light, with empty tanks. Included in the TT purchase is a top of the line weight distribution hitch and sway control. It will mostly be towed in southern California, with longer trips up to Arizona, Oregon, and Washington. I've been looking at mostly Ford F-150 EcoBoost, Ford F-250, Dodge 1500, and Dodge 2500. All with Super crew configurations, 4x4, and max towing options. I have read so many posts saying the length of the TT makes a difference, and all kinds of sway stories, and people that swear by the 1/2 ton...and people that swear by the 3/4 ton trucks. Luckily I don't have to make a decision until March 2015. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is so long, but like I said, I am trying to get feedback on my set of variables. Thank you!!!
34 REPLIES 34

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Weight wise, you could probably make a 1/2 ton work... But that length is the deal breaker. A 3/4-1 ton will weigh a LOT more, and have stiffer tires/suspension better brakes, etc. All this will better control that long of a TT.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like what you need is a used 2500 suburban and a brand new economy car to commute with. You could probably pay for the car in fuel savings over the years.
Any tow vehicle that is overloaded for a 1,000 mile trip is also overloaded for a 40 mile trip. Distance doesn't make any difference. I wouldn't want to handle that much trailer/cargo with any 1500 series truck. Not even the "mighty" ecoboost. A 2500 series truck will provide a much more stable platform, ride better, handle better, and be less tiring to drive when towing.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Being you have TT and you have until March next year find a used one on a sales lot with a hitch and see how it does. If they won't let you ask them "why would I buy not knowing how will this will tow, that's why I'm in the market to buy".
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brad, no worries, you didn't say if you were on a budget or not. I would definitely get a 250 or 2500 something for that weight/size trailer, whether truck or van. Unfortunately the only remaining 2500-series SUVs (Suburban 2500 and Excursion) have been discontinued.

That unloaded hitch weight of 830 will likely be 1100+ when you add propane and cargo. A properly equipped 1500 or 150 truck "can" do it, but the 250/2500 series would be a better choice IMO.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
My feeling is this trailer is almost squarely in the 3/4 or larger camp.

With a half ton the first issue you will run into is the tongue weight limit of the receiver. The 10,000 or 11,000 lb max tow ratings of todays 1/2 tons are based on a boat trailer with a 10% tongue weight. Travel trailers are almost all 13%+ to remain stable

That 830lbs hitch weight is "dry", with no propane, batteries, anything. That trailer even lightly loaded will probably have a tongue weight of 1100lbs. The receiver MIGHT be rated for 1100 or 1200lbs, or like mine it might be 900. You will likely need to replace the receiver with a heavier aftermarket one.

Then there is payload. Payload capacity for 1/2 tons is all over the place from as low as 1100lbs to over 3000!! You will have to find one that can at minimum support your family and the trailer tongue, I would say 1800 or 1900+

A max payload (not just max tow) equipped F150 is really the only 1/2 ton that would work.

Good luck with your search!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The only half ton I'd recommend is the max tow package F-150. You'll need at least 1700 pounds of payload and few crew cab half tons have it. Ignore those HD towing packages on half tons.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the weight, length and importantly WHERE you will do your towing, a 3/4 ton would be a sensible choice.

Fwiw, our 2012 f250 gets 16-17 hwy unloaded and 9ish towing.

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
campingken wrote:
Bradsrving,

You could buy that nice Suburban and a new commuter car for what a new truck will cost you.

Campingken,

True. But if I commuted to the TT...what would I tow it with when I got there??? Lol

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Bradsrving,

You could buy that nice Suburban and a new commuter car for what a new truck will cost you.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A properly equipped 1/2 ton will do it, a properly equipped 3/4 ton will do it better!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Looks pretty sweet, Burbman, but I am thinking I need to get something new. As I will be tacking on lots of miles each month. Much more not towing than towing. Last thing I need is a bunch of repairs.

Thanks anyways!!!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
As a daily driver the van or 2500 Suburban would probably be the best, most comfortable.

Here is a 2500 Suburban for sale near you in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Has the 8.1 big block for excellent towing, plus lots of room for the kids.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I was young and stupid and fearless, like most of us were, I towed with a 1/2 ton. bought a 3/4 ton and towing was like the difference of night and day. I will never tow again with a 1/2 ton again. unless it is my golf cart trailer. I would also advise you to get a four door truck of a burb. you need to have the kids comfortable too.

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm still weighing out the pro's and con's.

One thing I wanted to point out from my original post...

I wasn't worried about gas mileage during towing. I know that towing kills fuel efficiency. What I wrote...was I was trying to get decent gas mileage when NOT towing. This is one reason that I haven't been able to decide. As I will be driving several hundred miles without towing to get to where the TT is stored between trips.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would go with the F150 ecoboost with the max payload package and the max tow package.