cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling a Trailer

Scott204
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have had our trailer for 2 years now but we just aren't using it enough to justify keeping it. I have tried craigslist with not much luck. What sites have you guys used to sell your trailers?
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SCREW 4x4 Ecoboost
TT: 2014 Prime Time Avenger 27BBS
21 REPLIES 21

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful about scammers. It is so easy, especially if frustrated with the selling process, to fall prey to a scammer. Only face to face transactions, and always meet the buyer at their bank and obtain the funds directly from an officer of the bank.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried craigslist with not much luck

Why do you think this is?

I'm in the market for a used TT for a quick cross-country trip and I am appalled how lazy most of the sellers are on Craigslist.

Listers only post one picture
Lister post only a one sentence description
Listers don't bother to wash the TT
Listers can't even clean the inside
Listers showing unmade bed/untidy kitchen/untidy bathroom
Listers with the first words are "no low ball offers"
etc etc etc
I stay away from any listing with the above.

So...... why do you think your TT is not selling? March/April/May/June are probably the BEST time to sell (and the worst to buy !!)

As others have said, clean it, describe it accurately, price it reasonably, be courteous and remember YOU ARE the salesman this time.
Gerry

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You haven't priced it to sell. When you do that it will be gone in a week. Is it spotless and everything works, if not don't waist my time. Bottom line it ain't worth what you think it is or it would sell

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I would also check out good consignment dealers in your area...not regular dealers who say they take consignments because those often just end up sitting there, but consignment only dealers. You won't get what you might get on Craigs List, but you will get a lot more people looking at your RV.

We have purchased our last two rvs at these places and sold one and have been very happy.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist works.... if you're priced right. I disagree this is a bad time to sell. This is the BEST time to sell. Everyone is gearing up for the summer and planning trips. RV dealers' best sales months are in the spring. Who thinks of buying an RV in November? Not many people.

As a rough guideline I'd tell you a 2 year old TT in good condition should sell quickly at about 50-60% of original MSRP. You should have paid around 70-75% of MSRP two years ago. If you paid more than that you're probably going to have to take a larger hit than you'd like to sell. Or, you'll have to wait longer for a buyer who is looking for something only your trailer has. Be patient too, I sold my TT over the winter.... finally. I listed on CL in November and it finally went at the end of January.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scott204 wrote:
Well we have had our trailer for 2 years now but we just aren't using it enough to justify keeping it. I have tried craigslist with not much luck. What sites have you guys used to sell your trailers?

Craigslist works fine but you will need patience AND you NEED to price it REALISTICALLY.

Right now, my local craigslist is polluted with not only used trailers but NEW ones by some of the local dealers (IE over posting)..

Spring is the wrong time to try to sell a trailer since EVERYONE who has one to sell is thinking the same idea that more people are looking for one in the spring.. This creates a huge glut in the used market.

Just keep relisting but instead of every day just let it drop and re-list once a week.

You most likely will see more action during mid/late summer or even Fall when others have given up and the over posting calms down.

Additionally, you will need to price it right, a two year old trailer is STILL USED. Go to your local dealer and see what they would give as a trade in value.. The price they give you will most likely be near what you will get..

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
RVtrader.com
Racingjunk.com

For Craigslist be sure to list it in nearby areas (within 200 miles)

Be sure to include lots of photos and floorplan. Plus an honest description of the condition.

Look at ads for trailers similar to yours to be sure you're not pricing it too high. Trailers lose a lot of value in the first couple of years.