cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously overloaded

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No pictures but our friends were in Alaska for a couple months and heading back to their home in Maine, they stopped by for a few days.

We were talking about TC's in Alaska and they mentioned right off, how many appeared grossly overloaded.

They said that there were a few big dual rear tired pickup trucks that were literally dragging their rear bumpers, loaded up with the kitchen sink...canoe's on the roof, storage containers on the roofs, just loaded for 'bear'.

I'd hate to have them approaching me at night, with their headlights pointing skyward.

I'm amazed (on Alaskan twisty, curvy roads, that there aren't more accidents and equipment failures from overloading.

Amazing to me that people, in general, have no conception of what overloading does to drivetrain components, let alone handling.

Glad I'm not piloting those 'magic busses'.....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
102 REPLIES 102

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You must carry a lot.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Are you counting the truck in that 6500?

NOPE and I think I was short on beer when I drove on scales.

Bedlam
We were supposed to go in August, but DW needs to go visit her mom. Maybe in mid September we can get together. Heading to Prosser, WA next weekend.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Bedlam wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
The completely inexplicable part of that pic is the serious bed sag. That doesn't look humanly possible. Even flattened bed mounts wouldn't account for that much. Maybe body lift on the back of the cab?
Even weirder part is the truck in general looks to be in far too good of shape to be part of that whole scenario...

Maybe an aggressive leveling kit on the front suspension makes it look like the rear is sagging?

Naw, front ain't that high off the ground. That whole setup is just 17 shades of messed up!

You guys coming down to Lake Sawyer anytime soon?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
SidecarFlip wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And the front of the camper has to be blocked up to clear the cab roof, barely due to the I don't know what's going on with bed/frame issue. Because those campers don't sit like that in those trucks without some "help".
Love to see some close ups of that craftsmanship! I bet the inside is decorated nicely too....

Could be from West Virginia..lol (that is not to be taken wrong as an insult)... I'm from West Virginia. In fact, quite a percentage of the population around here is. We all came north to Michigan for the good paying auto jobs that have since vanished.

Just got back about an hour ago from southern Missouri and it could have totally been from there too. Sitting here in Seattle where the houses are all a half million bucks or more and the nice ones are 7 figures and barely skilled men can make $35 an hour every day and double on Sunday and can't find enough of them, it's hard to realize that there's ALOT of ignorance and poverty in this country.
Heck that's probably the same year camper as mine, but mine gets its nose powdered and butt wiped with a soft cloth before being lovingly stored in a warm dry shop!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you counting the truck in that 6500?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Maybe an aggressive leveling kit on the front suspension makes it look like the rear is sagging?

This is 6500lb sitting on my rear, unmodified axle and I still have about 4" fender clearance.
So again, we are talking at least 2 ton cargo inside the pictured camper.

Click For Full-Size Image.

I'd need a road map to find my way around inside that camper...thing is bigger than my house...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

This is 6500lb sitting on my rear, unmodified axle and I still have about 4" fender clearance.
So again, we are talking at least 2 ton cargo inside the pictured camper.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Bedlam
Grit dog wrote:
The completely inexplicable part of that pic is the serious bed sag. That doesn't look humanly possible. Even flattened bed mounts wouldn't account for that much. Maybe body lift on the back of the cab?
Even weirder part is the truck in general looks to be in far too good of shape to be part of that whole scenario...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Amazing how much pot can one photoshop stir on the forum :E

LOL....or say a rig is overloaded 'cause it looks like it and with no actual scaled weights to make the point.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazing how much pot can one photoshop stir on the forum :E

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
And the front of the camper has to be blocked up to clear the cab roof, barely due to the I don't know what's going on with bed/frame issue. Because those campers don't sit like that in those trucks without some "help".
Love to see some close ups of that craftsmanship! I bet the inside is decorated nicely too....

Could be from West Virginia..lol (that is not to be taken wrong as an insult)... I'm from West Virginia. In fact, quite a percentage of the population around here is. We all came north to Michigan for the good paying auto jobs that have since vanished.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Bedlam wrote:
1. There are some creative tie downs on that camper forward of the rear doors and to the receiver.
2. Did you notice that there are no jacks?
3. The slide out is casting a bit shadow making it look like it is out of square.

It almost looks like someone full timing or living in that camper.

That might be (part of) a jack on the front.
As much as I'd like to hope that's photoshopped, I think that's a big ole beat to hellp AF trying to kill that truck. And judging by the back corner, that jack and part of the original camper are still stuck to whatever they got hooked on! Lol

Bedlam
1. There are some creative tie downs on that camper forward of the rear doors and to the receiver.
2. Did you notice that there are no jacks?
3. The slide out is casting a bit shadow making it look like it is out of square.

It almost looks like someone full timing or living in that camper.