cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Me Your Lance 850

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I've searched for pics of a Lance 850 on here, but didn't find any. I'd like to see one on a truck to get an idea of how far it sticks out the back. You get bonus points for pics of one on a Chevy or GMC dually.

(I've seen all the pics elsewhere on the Internet)

thanks.
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper
19 REPLIES 19

Reelescape1
Explorer
Explorer

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Bonesquatch, what is your Chevy rated for, does it have the 11k package? If no did you mod the suspension to accommodate the 850. Thanks.

The 850 should be well within the limits of a 3/4 ton. IIRC, cargo capacity is around 3500 lbs, and the camper weighs about 2600 wet.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bonesquatch, what is your Chevy rated for, does it have the 11k package? If no did you mod the suspension to accommodate the 850. Thanks.

Desert1667
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics of my setup

Desert

tc-lance
Explorer
Explorer
SpeedRacer350 wrote:
tc-lance wrote:
Our 850, camped out near Quartszite about 6 weeks ago. We really like the overall package, but I would like a more comfortable dinette seating inside. That will be a project this year. I have made a long list of mods to the unit, to customize it to fit our needs.

We picked out the 850 partly because it fits our long bed truck and we can easily set it up to tow our jeep.

Do you use any type of extension when towing with the camper?

I use a receiver adapter which raises the "truck" receiver so the tow bar is horizontal. That effectively extends the receiver back about 18". The 850 just barely hangs over the truck bumper. If I was towing a sedan, I might not need an extension, but I have not tried.
Lance 995 TC, Ford F250 4WD, camper pkg, stable loads.

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 days and 1300 miles plus, I can say that an extension is not necessary for towing my utility trailer (modified as a kayak trailer). Turning is fine as long as it's not too tight and the hitch ball sticks out past the end of the camper enough that it's not a problem. I'll post photos along with my trip report next week when we're back.
Skunk apes abound!
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I am impressed that it is stock!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 GMC 3500. (not sure why my signature only shows up sometimes) My manual says the stock 2.5 inch hitch on both the 3/4 and 1 ton GM trucks is rated at 18k pulling and 2k on the tongue.

I just sent a question to etrailer about reducing either the Reese RP45018 or DrawTite RP45292 extension down to 12 inches to see if that would increase its ratings.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
A class V is the same as stock??? Amazing! What stock is on your truck? THX! Reese does 3" as well as 2.5"

Maybe you need to go to your local welding shop and get something made. WOW!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
Speed...look into this...Had this before Torklift was even a sparkle in someone's eye.
Titan V
Stinger

Half the price. Good luck!

Thanks, PJay. I've seen those. That hitch has the same specs as the stock one, so that won't help me. And those type of extensions reduce the ratings so much, they won't come close to handling my trailer. Even the 8" one is only a third of what I need.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Speed...look into this...Had this before Torklift was even a sparkle in someone's eye.
Titan V
Stinger

Half the price. Good luck!

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
tc-lance wrote:
Our 850, camped out near Quartszite about 6 weeks ago. We really like the overall package, but I would like a more comfortable dinette seating inside. That will be a project this year. I have made a long list of mods to the unit, to customize it to fit our needs.

We picked out the 850 partly because it fits our long bed truck and we can easily set it up to tow our jeep.

Do you use any type of extension when towing with the camper?

tc-lance
Explorer
Explorer

Lance 995 TC, Ford F250 4WD, camper pkg, stable loads.

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
If you think of it, let me know how it goes without an extension. The Lance camper catalog says the 850 doesn't require an extension, but it sure looks like the corners would hit on tight turns.

My trailer is big and heavy, so no extension would work for me except the TorkLift Super Hitch with a Super Truss. And I really don't want to cough up $1300 bucks for that.