cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sisters, Or boondocking camping

scotty2012
Explorer
Explorer
I need help finding a camping spot. I am new to Oregon, just moved to Salem, Oregon and I had all the good camping spots in the other state, but have 0 here:( I am leave May 29- June 2 for my camping trip and don't really know where I am going yet. I love love love Sisters, Oregon and hoping I can fine a good boondocking camping area next to some water? Can anyone help me? I don't get a lot of time off from work so I really cant go up and scout out a spot:(

Already been to the coast, last month and had some great weather!

I should say I have a 22 foot fleetwood evolution e3 (off roading tent trailer) and being towed by a 4X4 dodge truck.
13 REPLIES 13

Mike_Ezell
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Sisters. there is a lot of good camping in the area. cold Spring camp ground is 4 miles from town and a nice spot . Also the road to three creeks lake has a bunch of great areas to pull off and stay for a while. You will need to pay to stay at the lake but it is worth every penny. Any where you go in early summer will have a lot of mosquitoes so bring plenty of repellant. Definitely spend some time exploring cascade lakes highway. Little fawn camp ground on Elk lake is a favorite of mine
M

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through the Sisters area 3 times. Here's a boondocking spot just about 5 miles from Sisters:
Sisters boondocking

It's actually very near the Cold Springs NF campground, which is a nice one.

I've also camped at Camp Sherman and Suttle Lake NF campgrounds. Check out the past years of my travel on my website to find more spots in OR. Been all over the state.

Have fun,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Try http://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Camp Sherman area. All NF campgrounds so not dispersed but some of the nicest areas you will find in Oregon

I second this suggestion. Don't forget to go for the 10 dollar breakfast a Suttle Lake Lodge nearby. That place is tough to beat even in Sisters for Dinner too.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, there are so many nice dry camping spots in the national forests that dispersed camping isn't even needed.

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a GPS here are a couple dispersed sites I marked near Camp Sherman and Suttle Lake. From my notes: Nice big camp site a short distance off paved road N44.46192 W121.70138. A little farther up the road is: Several camp sites next to creek N44.48922 W121.69385. Watch for bears in the area, I almost hit one on my motorcycle in that area last year.

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
This might be helpful to you.
RVn Full-time

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed here Tumalo State Park last week. While not a dispersed location, it was nice and offers hookups if one desires them. We too looked around for a dispersed area but ran out of daylight and ended up there. Post up please if you find something in the area.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start with KOA in Madras and drive around from there to see the Sisters area.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I buy the maps for the forests in an area from the USFS website. It makes trip planning a lot easier and the maps show the dirt roads and dispersed camping areas that you will not find on any other maps. Best deal around.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
There is a couple of places just outside of Sisters, near Suttle Lake if memory serves me. My only concern ow would be the weather, they are getting some snow and cold weather. Have you tried to Google the info? Sorry I am not more help.

Good luck and be safe.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp Sherman area. All NF campgrounds so not dispersed but some of the nicest areas you will find in Oregon

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since you are new to Oregon...first trip probably should be to wander up and down the Oregon Coast.
It's a must do RV destination.

Welcome to Oregon and to the Forum.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro