Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small crack in acrylic kitchen sink

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

This past weekend, when moving our trailer to a new storage facility, I noticed that there is a small three legged crack (kinda a Y shape) in the front corner of the small basin side of our acrylic kitchen sink. It goes all the way through the sink material, so will be a leak if not repaired. I'm not sure if it was a crack due to cold weather over the winter, or if we damaged it somehow.

This photo appears to shows the type of sink we have:

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/eshop/products/bone-sink.jpg

A few questions on how to proceed:

1) Am I correct in assuming it would be a waste of my time to try to get a warranty repair on something like this, given it's likely it was caused by something we did when using the sink, or during travel (we keep the sink strainers and soap dispenser in the sink, maybe a poor idea).

2) Is there any type of waterproof tape (Eternabond maybe?) that we could apply to both sides of the sink over the crack to repair the sink for the time being?

3) Is there a typical RV (read lightweight) sink that would be an upgrade from the very thin one the trailer came with that we could install at the end of the season?

Thanks for the help!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch
12 REPLIES 12

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, if your trailer is still under warranty, let the dealer replace the plastic sink. If not, or the dealer won't replace it, buy an RV stainless steel sink. I wouldn't waste my time repairing anything plastic. (my opinion)
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Wow when it rains it pours,just did a sink repair for a friend,She cracked it by bashing a head of lettuce. After unhooking and removing the drain I epoxcied the underside,Then filled the top side with a crack filler and polished, looks great and does not leak.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
scottdouglas wrote:
Just because its been mentioned on this thread. Please do not use rvandvansurplus.com for any order It is a Scam!!!. I paid them around 500 dollars months ago for some parts. They wont issue a refund or send the parts and the ever elusive Bob will never return calls or answer the phone. Its a scam and they operate like 6 different websites. Check BBB or ripoff report if you don't believe me. The company is actually RV Marketing inc and its either the worst run business in America or a total scam. I believe it is a scam.

Thank you for the warning. I just found that picture from a google search to illustrate my sink style, but I'll make sure to avoid them.

scottdouglas
Explorer
Explorer
Just because its been mentioned on this thread. Please do not use rvandvansurplus.com for any order. Check BBB or ripoff report if you don't believe me.

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Y shape , something was drop. Acrylic are easy to repair.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
You could use Eternabond tape on the underside for a temporary fix so it won't leak until you decide to replace or repair as noted in previous posts.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Drill a 1/16 inch hole just beyond the end of each crack then fill the hole with epoxy. The hole will keep the crack from spreading.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
here in ohio ours cracked, took it to a mom/pop cabinet shop, they ordered a repair kit of the same color , you can,t see the repair that was made . its gone..

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
I would use either a two part acrylic resin in white that you can add a color/dye to match your sink. Even stronger would be JB weld and paint the repair with porcelain appliance paint to match. Drill the crack at each end like mentioned.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
It could be a stress crack depending on how it is fastened down to the counter. You may want to try loosening the mounting hardware slightly if it has any. If the crack is getting longer drill a small hole at the very end of the crack and that will distribute the stress in all directions and effectively reducing the stress. That works for steel bridge beams. Then apply some type of epoxy to seal the crack.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine it cracking on it's own. You might have accidently hit it and not even known it until you saw the crack later. If you're planning on replacing it anyway, and just want it to be functional for the time being, use some two part epoxy to patch it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)