cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Travel Trailers

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
My son is looking for a relatively small travel trailer. He hopes to find one with tandem axles, yet that will depend on the total weight of such a trailer. He will be pulling the trailer with a Toyota Tundra which does have a V8 engine, but I don't know what the towing capacity is yet. He would like the smallest trailer that has the tandem axles. Can you suggest some trailer brands we might look at?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
25 REPLIES 25

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
BC4277 wrote:
I'm towing a Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS with a 03 Tundra with a 4.7 liter motor. The TV has 200k miles. I have put over 35k miles on the TT, in the last 3 years without a problem.

We wanted a small TT with tandem axles and a small slide. The floorplan was very important to us along with a three burner stove, large frig, and two LPG tanks.

Bryan

X2 . Would be my choice, very usable floorplan.

This above mentioned floorplan allows this TT to be used with the slide 'IN' just in case you need to .
192RBS

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to second guess why he wants tandem axles, but why does he want tandem on a small, light trailer?
Tandems do not turn or corner well, they tend to bend the axles as each wheel turns a different radius and fights the other axle for traction. Hard/impossible to manuver by hand also. 2 times as many wheels, brakes, bearings, tires.
Tandem does handle uneven surfaces well since no one tire dipping into a rut/hole will cause the trailer to dip. That's about it for benefit IMO

**add, I had a "13 footer", thats interior length, that had tandem axles. It was on 13 inch wheels. The reasoning, I assume, was ride quality. It did handle uneven surfaces much better than single axle would. The axles did have some bending at the hubs from the stresses common on twins.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River iPods are pretty cool trailers, my MIL had two and loved them.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS with a 03 Tundra with a 4.7 liter motor. The TV has 200k miles. I have put over 35k miles on the TT, in the last 3 years without a problem.

We wanted a small TT with tandem axles and a small slide. The foorplan was very important to us along with a three burner stove, large frig, and two LPG tanks.

Bryan
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out my post here. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at the Surveyor.
I have a 23' Surveyor, tandem axles, dry weight 3340 lb.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have about a 22' Hideout with tandem axles. Loaded weight (per CAT scale) is
4,980 lbs. I full-time in it, so it loaded. I have a Chev 1500, 4 door, short bed, V-8 and it tows it great. Without going outside to check model #, I think
19FLWE. 2018 model. Great little floor plan.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
small TT clicky

These folks have been around since the '60s first building truck campers and as the TC faded away moved over to TT and 5th wheel trailers.
They may not sell in your area but give them a call for area dealer or transporting.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
Casita or one of the small fiberglas rigs.

I don’t think Casita offers tandem a led. You probably need to be around 19-20’ for a tandem axle.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Casita or one of the small fiberglas rigs.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago.

https://winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad