cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
When ordering a new Popup TC (Bundutec), you get a choice of either a rear mounted, small window unit or a roof AC. Whats the pros and cons of each?? Or which make more sense in a popup?? The window unit is about half price of the roof AC.

Thanks,
50 REPLIES 50

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Other option I am thinking for my conversion is U-shape AC.
They seem to be easier available lately and prices go down.
You can carry it inside and set in the window when needed.
For cold month - you just leave it at home.
Roof units on RV are noisy becouse they have to suck and blow all via 14" hole, what require high air speed.
I have factory roof AC on my Sprinter van, who has much bigger hole connecting to the interior and with several smaller outlets it is much quieter.
But in reality no AC is going to be quiet and the "white noise" they make covers campground & generators noise.
Truckers sleep with their huge engines running and they can't even sleep when it is quiet.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
All the previous post in favor of a roof unit (except making your already tall camper taller) are correct and valid. I agree, Roof units do not have a high fail rate, but if they do can be costly.

Everyone uses there TC's for different reasons..A roof AC ads to the height of any RV and for those that use there RV's back in the woods,that extra height causes issues..I am 10' to the top of my ladder rack and one reason I bought this TC for dodging tree branches on old forest service and logging roads..

Rooftop AC's has certain issues over window units..One is the sun and the AC shroud which I have replaced a couple times..I bought a cover but it seemed a pain and I drove off with it on losing it..If the shroud gets to much sun and cracks,then it will leak...

The roof AC sometimes have issues with the gasket sealing it to the roof..Sometimes you can just tighten it a little more and your good to go,other times that don't work and you have to pull the AC and replace the gasket..That is a pain..

The biggest gripe I had with a roof AC was the noise even in larger trailers/fivers and motorhomes..There really noisy while a window unit is not near that..A 13.5 roof AC on a TC cycles to much as I found out the hard way..Live and learn..LOL

Did I mention roof AC units are noisy,especially in a TC?..LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ugly looking, Jay.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
$500 unit? That's mine, yes.
I got lucky maybe. I browsed ebay and found a "refurbished" unit in August I think for $500. It is a Coleman Mach-something 5200 btu. New shroud and everything about it looks new. It works perfect. I had settled on paying more but found this, score!
I dont think you will find them this cheap hardly ever, and much less likely now that it is warm.

I originally bought for my truck camper so I could run off the Ryobi 2200 gen. Worked perfect, but I took it off and put the 13500 unit back on to sell since the 13500 is a more standard option that I think would be more attractive to a buyer. Plus, I wanted to keep it since I have a little gen.

It is now on my cargo conversion/ toy hauler cargo camper.
I really wanted to put a window unit in the cargo camper, but just could not come up with an easy way to mount it without eating up valuable interior space. I was going to mount a window unit completely inside, so needed a bigger box to allow air to circulate around the AC unit, so taking up even more space, then needed to cut giant holes in either the floor or the wall, which I was not wild about either. The 5200 Mach8 is low profile at only about 8 or 10 inches high, so in the end was the best option for me and the cargo trailer is only 5 foot interior height so the overall trailer height is still not so tall.

All the previous post in favor of a roof unit (except making your already tall camper taller) are correct and valid. I agree, Roof units do not have a high fail rate, but if they do can be costly.
Get what you pay for , referring to $99 window units, not so. Millions of these sold, so the per unit price will be lower than the per unit of a roof unit. Quality here is not correlated to price when comparing RV items with household items. A $200 window unit will be more quality than the $99 likely, and the $200 unit will be high quality and more on par with the roof unit.
Just my opinion.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
IB853347201 wrote:
Remember, you get what you pay for. That's your answer as to which unit will do the job when its really hot, right there.

Sometimes, you just pay for specialized ACs. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Who did you threaten to get a new roof unit for $500? I have not seen anything close to that. $1000 is more typical.

I lucked out and bought a USED roof unit off an old popup trailer for $75.

I would not consider installation easy. Between getting the roof vent unstuck from the roof, cleaning up the leftover adhesive and caulk, fixing the screw holes from the vent cover, reinforcing the roof, and heaving 100lbs of delicate awkward machinery 8-1/2ft into the air TWICE, it was a project.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, you get what you pay for. That's your answer as to which unit will do the job when its really hot, right there.
2010 Suncruiser

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had two items fail on my TC. The AC and water pump.

I am trying to think of what has not failed and I had to replace...

Oh..The oven..laffin

On topic,I have replaced two RV air conditioners,One on a Class C motorhome and the other on a Lance TC..

They do fail and leak...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
And I would think that with a window AC the air will be constantly be blowing directly on you.

They have adjustable louvers to blow air where needed away from you if needed..High or low and side to side....
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
I did have one die on my other camper. I bought a brand new one for under $500 and its a piece of cake to replace.

AC units are not a high failure item.

And I would think that with a window AC the air will be constantly be blowing directly on you.

Iโ€™ve had two items fail on my TC. The AC and water pump. I think itโ€™s one of the highest failure items. Also, itโ€™s not easy getting a 100 lb item on the roof. I do wonder where you bought a new rooftop AC for $500. Mine was more like $1000 for a low profile unit installed.

As far as heat rising and air blowing on you goes, AC vents can be pointed whatever direction you want.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
In my experience roof airs rarely fail. I still have a 1987 Vacationeer with its original roof air that works great. Iโ€™ve had others that old or older that still worked great.
The roof is the best place for an AC. Thatโ€™s why theyโ€™re almost always up there.
Heat rises.
If you go anywhere that gets really hot, youโ€™ll wish you had the roof unit.
As far as replacement goes, roof air for the win again. Theyโ€™re all designed to fit a standard 14โ€x14โ€ hatch. Window units are all different sizes. Good luck matching it if you have to replace it.
Everyone is talking about whatโ€™s cheapest. But roof air is whatโ€™s best.

I agree with burningman. Heat rises, get the roof AC.

I did have one die on my other camper. I bought a brand new one for under $500 and its a piece of cake to replace.

AC units are not a high failure item.

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a window unit..The Honda 2K doesn't even know it
s there..Quieter than roof air also by quite a bit..Roof air raises the overall height of your TC camper also..Roof air is super expensive and window units can be had for like $99 on special and draws less than 5 amps..

My truck camper did not have roof air and I was going to put one on until I looked at the prices..It was getting into the high 90's here so I tried a 5K window unit I had in the garage..At like 95 degree's out I was about 72 degree's inside on the low setting and it was super quiet compared to any roof air I have ever had..(There noisy)

So I am sold on the window units..Quieter/less power draw/easily ran on a Honda 2K in eco-mode/there not heavy/they don't raise your overall height which is very important to me and why I came back to a TC..

I only put in my rig when I think I might need it..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Another plus for a window air is that you may be able to park so that it won't be in the direct sun. That also helps alot!
Brian

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for window ac, from experience.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the roof of my Outfitter replaced I chose to NOT have a roof AC put on. It would have added 100 lbs to the lift, and if you ever haul anything on the roof, the roof AC is constantly in the way and a tripping hazard.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5