cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO Confused about Ford Expedition Tow Capacity - HELP!!!

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer
We just can't seem to get a straight, clear answer about the towing capacity of our Ford Expedition. We would really like to ere on the side of caution and are worried that we're reading something incorrect. The owner's manuals are just confusing us and I feel so stupid!
Can someone please help us?

I have this information from the ID tag in my car:
Ford Expedition XLT Triton
Year: 2001
GVWR: 6700 lbs
Tires: 16L
Axle ratio: 3.31
Engine: 5.4L
4x2

On my bumper, it says:
Max Tongue Load: 400 lbs
Max Gross Trailer Weight: 4000 lbs

At this owner's manual link, it says that the GCWR is 5,443 lbs.

What does all of this mean?
*LOL*
17 REPLIES 17

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2005 F150 has the yellow payload sticker.

APT wrote:
The payload stickers started for 2006. Tow rating should be in the 6000-7500 pound range if you have the HD towing package. Does it have a 2" receiver or just bumper hole?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op. I towed my 7700 GVWR TT with an expedition nearly identical to yours. Same axle ratio and this one was a 4x4 (not sure if yours is or not)

My trailer was empty at the time of the tow and weighed about 5500 lbs. it was the SCARIEST tow of my life.

I had to stay in second gear to hold 55 mph.. The 31.5 ft trailer let me know it was there the entire pull. This was a borrowed expedition.

My truck was an extended cab F150 2wd with 3.55 gears. That small change in gear ratio and wheelbase made all the difference in the world. The truck could pull in 3rd gear at 60-65 mph in the flats and rolling hills all day long.

Now, the WD hitch I used was not set up correctly on the expedition so I am sure I could have sorted out the handling issue.... But the ONLY thing that could have made the towing performance on that expedition improve would be to change the axle ratio to 3.73. The Expedition being a 4x4 had bigger tires than my 2wd F150.

I'm sorry to say this to you, the 3.31 gears hurt drastically in your 01 and will not help the Ex punch a hole in the air for the travel trailer. Change the axle ratios and the game changes for the Expedition.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
sarahbyu1 wrote:
We just can't seem to get a straight, clear answer about the towing capacity of our Ford Expedition. We would really like to ere on the side of caution and are worried that we're reading something incorrect. The owner's manuals are just confusing us and I feel so stupid!
Can someone please help us?

I have this information from the ID tag in my car:
Ford Expedition XLT Triton
Year: 2001
GVWR: 6700 lbs
Tires: 16L
Axle ratio: 3.31
Engine: 5.4L
4x2

On my bumper, it says:
Max Tongue Load: 400 lbs
Max Gross Trailer Weight: 4000 lbs

At this owner's manual link, it says that the GCWR is 5,443 lbs.

What does all of this mean?
*LOL*
According to your Owner's Manual the Maximum Trailer Weight for your Expedition is 6800#.
Ford usually limits the receiver's TW capacity to 10% of the stated MTW.
If that's the case for your TV, your trailer's TW would be limited to 680#.

With a max TW of 680# and a typical TT tongue weight percentage of 13%, your TT max weight would be limited to 680/.13 = 5230#.

If you cannot find a credible source which specifies a higher max TW, I'm afraid you're stuck with the 680# if you want to follow Ford's specs.
If you do find that the receiver TW limit is greater than 680#, please let us know and we can use that information to determine a new maximum allowable TT weight.

Ron

westend
Explorer
Explorer
sarahbyu1 wrote:
I'm sorry. I think you don't understand. The payload sticker is not available on my car. That's part of the confusion we're having. They began adding those stickers after my car was manufactured.
On this you're correct. The yellow cargo sticker was not required until 2005-6.

In the Ford Towing Guide that was linked to in the thread:
"• The GVWR along with other maximum safe vehicle weights, as well as tire, rim size and inflation
pressure are shown on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door
lock facing or the door latch post pillar"

From that number will be subtracted the Base Curb Weight-"Weight of the vehicle including a full tank of fuel and all standard equipment. It does not include
passengers, cargo or any optional equipment".

The remainder from this equation will be your Payload or Cargo capacity. Any weight the vehicle carries, including the tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed that number.

I would suggest, if the Base Curb Weight is not on the Compliance Certificate, you weigh your vehicle and subtract the number from the GVWR to establish what the payload rating is.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Based on the 2001 towing guide and the information you supplied that Expedition is rated at 6600 lbs max (3.31, 2wd, 5.4L). The rest of the information needed (max tongue weight) will be stamped in or labeled on the receiver itself (if equipped). You are going to be limited to around 6k depending on tongue weight.

2001 towing guide

Thank you for that information! The dealer told us that number, as well, but I didn't want to believe him, since he's trying to sell me something.

Thank you, everyone, for chiming in!

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry. I think you don't understand. The payload sticker is not available on my car. That's part of the confusion we're having. They began adding those stickers after my car was manufactured.

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Among all these number is the extreme caution to allow yourself about 1000# in the weight you CAN tow/carry and what you find in the GVWR rating of a trailer. You need room to spare for those times you may carry more water, pack heavier than you normally would or anything else that comes up. There is also a percentage to use as a guide and I seem to remember it being 80% of the GVWR, but as usual memory fails me and this may not be totally accurate. In any event, if your truck has the capability to safely tow 7000#, don't go out looking for a trailer that weighs 6700#....stop when you get to 6000#.

The issue is that we don't know the original number by which is subtract 1,000 pounds. Everyone has been quite clear about that. Thank you for the reminder, though.

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
The payload stickers started for 2006.

I don't think the other posters believe you....or read what you wrote. They want me to post the information on the phantom sticker.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the 2001 towing guide and the information you supplied that Expedition is rated at 6600 lbs max (3.31, 2wd, 5.4L). The rest of the information needed (max tongue weight) will be stamped in or labeled on the receiver itself (if equipped). You are going to be limited to around 6k depending on tongue weight.

2001 towing guide
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Without the HD towing package, it probably did not come with an OEM receiver, 7-pin wiring, and he knows the axle ratio is 3.31. A prior owner could have put a smaller class 3 only receiver on the vehicle with only 5000 pounds of rating.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Among all these number is the extreme caution to allow yourself about 1000# in the weight you CAN tow/carry and what you find in the GVWR rating of a trailer. You need room to spare for those times you may carry more water, pack heavier than you normally would or anything else that comes up. There is also a percentage to use as a guide and I seem to remember it being 80% of the GVWR, but as usual memory fails me and this may not be totally accurate. In any event, if your truck has the capability to safely tow 7000#, don't go out looking for a trailer that weighs 6700#....stop when you get to 6000#.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
sarahbyu1 wrote:
You're all so fabulous. Thank you!

It does NOT have the HD towing package.

It has a receiver that says the GTW is up to 5000 lbs.

Is that the end of the story? 5000 pounds?

No that is not correct.
Its simple
On your drivers door post there should be a sticker
The sticker will have tire size, air pressure and weight info.
Under the weight info it will give a couple of sets of numbers;letters
The two your interested in are:
1/ gross vehicle weight(GVWR). meaning the actual manufactures weight of vehicle.
2/ Gross combination weight)GVCWR), meaning the vehicle weight loaded with persons, fuel, and any towed vehicles
Now for alittle math:
Subract the GCVWR //your camper weight from
Your GVGW (also found on the title,and registration)

Example

TV weight without persons, fuel or traile (GVWR) 3850 lbs.
TV Maxiunm allowed weight (with trailer) (GCVWR) 6750 lbs.*
What your max weight capability is 2900 lbs.**

* Includes people, belongings, fuel, your camper fully loaded, including propane water, and all the rest.
above is an example only, not knowing your TV or what your looking to pull. Each vehicle depending on the manufactures options will have varying abilities.
** The amount of weight that you can add to the TV and drive it safely without overloading.
Another method is to contact the TV dealer and give them the vin number and they will be able to also tell you.

Hope its helps with understanding the DOT rating mandated on most late model door post
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

westend
Explorer
Explorer
sarahbyu1 wrote:

Again, you've misread the information. The receiver should be stamped and I would bet it is stamped "500 lbs.". Now that this is sorted, disregard that, also. If you will be using a weight distributing hitch (highly advised), your vehicle's receiver is rated for 810 lbs.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sarahbyu1
Explorer
Explorer