cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring up the Van

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
I have a full size Dodge van and we would like to wire it so we can have breaks and a charge line to the trailer. We picked up a small 17 foot TT for the grown kids to take when they go camping with us, but I want to make sure they are safe while towing. So I need to wire up the van.

Does anyone have a diagram or know where I can find a diagram that shows the proper wire size and a general idea of how to setup the vehicle side of the plug?

I have it wired for all the lights already, but want to make sure I wire the charge line and break controller properly.
8 REPLIES 8

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to etrailer.com and look up some brake controllers. They have install videos there for vehicles of all years and ages. Very helpful!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information. Im sure it will be very helpful.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forgot to mention.. For charge line you will want to add a relay which will only energize the charge line when the engine is running or ignition key is turned on.

This prevents your trailer from discharging the vehicle battery when you are stopped..

You can take a look at a diagram I made on page 41 of my following pdf document..

HERE

Disclaimer.. I have had issues with this link dying off if I get logged out.. additionally google makes you use their pdf viewer which messes with photos.. You can download the PDF and use Adobe viewer to see the pictures correctly..

S_more_campers
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed a 7 way setup on my '02 Jeep Liberty, the memories of rust landing in my eyes are still fresh. Recommend safety glasses, corrugated nylon tube to protect your harness and circuit breakers vs. fuses for both the battery power at the 7 way and brake controller input. Look for circuit breakers with mounting tabs, makes things much easier.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html

Rather than tapping directly off of the battery cable lug, locate the under hood fuse panel. There will be a heavy gauge wire direct from the battery that will terminate on a lug inside this panel. Use this lug to connect your leads. Follow the battery cable out of the panel so that the cover closes properly when you're finished.

Map your harness route wisely. Following the brake lines on any vehicle should be a safe bet as they are generally routed away from heat and vibration and have factory installed mounts to tie your harness to.

Keep your harness free of any joints; 1 continuous length of wire will flow current much more efficiently than a length with only 1 joint let alone multiple.

Apply dielectric grease at every point of connection to seal out moisture.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Before you spend a lot of time running wires, look under the back of the van for a trailer wiring harness. If all else fails go shopping you can find basic plug and play adapters specific to your vehicle. As for brake wire, 12 or 14 gage wire is more than suitable. Factory is I believe 14 gage wire.

Factory on the trailer will often be 14ga, but that is rather light since it will drop more voltage than a heavier wire.

My suggestion would be to wire your tow vehicle with 10 ga (yes, that seems excessive but it will give you much better brake response).

Keep in mind that one axle will draw 6A, two axles will draw 12A so 10ga really isn't out of line..

Since you are starting from scratch (no factory plug in from the vehicle under the dash) you will want to run 10Ga wire directly from the battery to the controller (supplies power to controller AND brakes). The run 10Ga from the controller output to your trailer plugin.

Follow the above advice will result in better brakes than if you simply used 14ga..

You will most likely need to add a fuse at the battery for the controller and if you use 10ga this allows for a 30A fuse which will give plenty of capacity for your controller and brakes..

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you spend a lot of time running wires, look under the back of the van for a trailer wiring harness. If all else fails go shopping you can find basic plug and play adapters specific to your vehicle. As for brake wire, 12 or 14 gage wire is more than suitable. Factory is I believe 14 gage wire.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so that gives me the wiring diagram, but what gauge wire do I need for the charge line and break line. Also do I need a fuse or a resetting fuse, if so what size fuses?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a link to a trailer wiring diagram. Scroll down to near the bottom and you will see the various types of truck/trailer connectors, and it tells you how to wire a truck to tow a trailer.

If you know which wire goes where on the truck connector it should be easy to figure out where the wire goes on the truck.
Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine