cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liquid waste knife valve leaking (not the black tank)

Geterdone
Explorer
Explorer
I have an issure with knife valve on liquid waste tank leaking when shut off. The cable itself will not push all the way in, even after lubing the cable and some waste leaks into the down pipe. Does adding cooking oil or some tank lube work to free this...It is on a 2013 Lance model 1172.

thanks,

Steve
Steve and Patti, 2014 Ram Duelly, Longhorn Laramie, Lance 1172 solar,Genset, torklift super hitch, and tiedowns, Bodiak front hitch,Polar Kraft boat when trailered.
14 REPLIES 14

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I had a situation where after draining the tank and putting the cap back on immediately, the cap would fill up with residual water from the walls of the pipe. Everytime I took the cap off, water would spill all over me. Now I drive home with the cap off so that the pipe dries out and finishes draining.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I use the twist on valves because I don't like surprises either but the valves are usually easy to replace, as long as you can get to it. Only 4 screws and nuts and 2013 shouldn't have any rust. Just rinse and drain it good and hold your breath. It only takes a few minutes.

BTW, the last valve I had to replace had a damaged slide where something was in the valve when it was closed. Oil wouldn't have helped.
Joe and Evelyn

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Paradox123 wrote:
I used one of those temporarily, and they are OK if you stay in Florida, but in colder climates, whatever leaks past your main valve will freeze and become undumpable.

Never thought about that.

What about antifreeze in the problem tank? I also would think that most of us don't camp when its below freezing..

I have only used my heater twice
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Valterra twist on valve cover. Had it two used older campers. No problems in colder weather either. Cheap and easy quick fix.

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
I used one of those temporarily, and they are OK if you stay in Florida, but in colder climates, whatever leaks past your main valve will freeze and become undumpable.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this issue sense I purchased my Lance 881.

I rinsed and greased everything but couldn't get the grey water to hold.

I finally installed one off these last week. No more surprise splashes when dumping.
twist on valve
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Chalet rv had lots of problems with that mechanism also.The cables are too long.They now have electric valve for black and grey tank in they're campers.
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem. The source was a bad mechanical design, not something stuck in the valve. I replaced the valve three years ago with a 12 volt electrically activated valve and have no further problems.

Geterdone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will try these fixes....someone suggested dumping cooking oil in empty tank and flushing it thru to lube valve...? Not sure if that is a valid option.
Steve and Patti, 2014 Ram Duelly, Longhorn Laramie, Lance 1172 solar,Genset, torklift super hitch, and tiedowns, Bodiak front hitch,Polar Kraft boat when trailered.

miskeeta
Explorer
Explorer
Lance 981 here the only sure cure is put in a second knife at the very end of the line been there done that
2003 F-250 Heavy Duty Torklifts and Fastguns
2003 Northern Lite Nothern

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
A bit of rubble in the grove is my guess, too. Could be 'bout anything. My black tank had a similar problem, that turned out to be the plastic cutout from when they drilled the hole in the top of the tank to install the toilet. It was "found" near the end of a thorough cleaning/flushing, so when I had to reach up the pipe and pull it out, it wasn't entirely nasty.

Rinse the tank well, that might dislodge it. Fill the tank FULL of clean water and do a complete dump. If that doesn't clear it, you, too, might be a candidate for reaching waaaaaaayyy up in there and running a finger around the groove . . . .

dends
Explorer
Explorer
If you find the answer let me know , have same camper with same problem. Design flaw ?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably have something in blade valve grove.
Cable operate valves will not close at tight when stuff builds up in grove due to flex in cable.

Sometimes you can clean out grove by heavy flushing or by back flushing while partially open/closing valve.

If seals are cause of leak.......usually end up having to replace.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
They make a cap with a hose fitting on it to back flush the valve in case something that went down the drain is trapped at the valve, preventing it from closing all the way.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk