cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, in case of Armageddon I can ......

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Purchase a spot in a cave in Kansas for $20,000 (based on $1000 per lineal ft.) add $1,500 per person for food and maybe hope to survive :S

No mention of how I can run off propane, electric, dump my tanks, etc.

I think I'll take my chances above ground.

A facility like this would however make sense as a storage rental.

Kansas Cave
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper
15 REPLIES 15

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
The article says wrote:

....there are too many negatives to this plan to list. Could you imagine 1000 RVs stored underground in operation during "...a prolonged disaster above ground" ? RVs are notorious for catching fire from myriad issues (not least is build quality). Just imagine what would happen if just 1 truck camper caught fire underground!

....I only mention "truck camper" in my response because I think this Thread is headed for "Around the Campfire" sooner, rather than later; my mention of truck camper may delay the "Moved" action another 20 seconds :B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
To survive the radioactivity of a nuclear holocaust, I think I'm gonna line my camper with lead. Good thing I have a dually!!!
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I've given the survival strategy lots of thought. Bunker, solar, hiding up in the mountains, etc. So what happens when they see your lights on, know you have food, water and fuel? It won't be long before you succumb to their anger, terror, and weapons.

No one person can ward off the enemy, they will be at your door in numbers. They will smell your cooking and be on you like white on rice.

So, I've given up the idea of surviving "the end".
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Another great Y2K story. I was working for a state agency at the time that disbursed funds for the state. We had a meeting with several of the higher echelon of a local university and they wanted to be granted permission to write their own disbursement checks when the total financial system melted down. Now here I am sitting with a bunch of whiz bang PHDs and my only question was...if you wrote your own checks when there was a total financial collapse who was going to accept them due to the fact they couldn't get them cashed if it all went down the tubes? Deer in the highlights again...lol needless to say that topic was quickly dropped.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I see with this is that now everybody knows where you are and basically what you have...Is it really necessary to explain any further

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of when the impending Y2K was going to be the end and my BIL at the time stored up lots of grains, water, and other necessities for survival for he and his family. I asked him did he get plenty of ammo as well and he gave me the deer in the headlights look. Like I told him if word got out that you had food and no one else did they would be knocking at your door and you would have to defend it to the hilt. He hadn't thought about that aspect of the situation.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Great Idea!! I am a proponent of being prepared for whatever the future might hold for us. I always watch with great interest all the shows and articles on people who are preparing for events by putting away supplies and preparing bugout sites. I take careful notes of every case...what they have and where they are!! 😉
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If it comes down to die or stay underground to survive........I'm out!
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Make peace with your self now, enjoy your life, don't waste your life preparing for something that ultimately you can't survive.

😉

....we live in an area with a population density of only 13 people per square mile, near a mountain-top. We make due looking at (only if need be) public arrays of radiation detectors (geiger-mapping).

IMO, these are the most impending disasters (your geographical region will re assort/dictate this list order, of course):

-extreme climatological event(s);
-super virulent virus (tough to escape this one);
-total collapse of the World monetary system;
-catastrophic earthquake;
-x;
-y;
-z;
-way down at bottom of list, along with asteroid strike is nuclear holocaust.

*civil unrest intertwining itself into the above (use calculus to determine regional risk)

Have a great weekend :B

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you noticed... in Kansas, Oklahoma and places like that... there won't be anything left to come out of the cave too... an awful lot is torn up now... just shreaded. NOTHING left to support life in the storm paths.

I live in Oak Ridge, TN... most of you have an idea what our industrial/research base is. We have thousands of PHDs, scientists, etc... there are personal fall- out shelters in some of the old parts of town built by these smart people... out of fear.

Now think about the sunoami that hit Japan... you saw the devastation... can you imagine comeing out of your personal bomb shelter... and climbing over the destruction... no roads, no shelter, no food, no electric, nothing left. AND, un-seen by you... radoactive contamination effecting you in two ways... radiation sickness and heavy metal poison from the nuclear contamination.

Make peace with your self now, enjoy your life, don't waste your life prepareing for something that ultimately you can't survive.

Go camping...

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd rather be nuked!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Man U need a rocket stove, check it out on survival .com. And ow its all happy-camping

jtrent6415
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure the bank I work for has our Disaster Recovery Operations in one of those...
2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Cavers around the Kansas City area are ALREADY being utilized as storage for all sorts of items, including RVs.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population