cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple back up camera?

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
My F350 has a back up camera in the tailgate that displays backup video on my rear view mirror when the truck is in reverse. Of course this doesn't do me any good with my camper on (when I really need it). Some time ago I read someones post about how to wire the rear view mirror video to a store bought back up camera and I really wanted to do that, just never got around to it.

But then someone suggested something to me, that I was wondering if anyone here had tried.

Apparently you can view the video from a GoPro helmet camera on a smart phone or tablet. So I could potentially mount a GoPro camera on the back of the camper, and control the camera and view the video on my iPhone. The cheap GoPro camera is $200. If this worked, it would be a really easy and relatively cheap solution.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
15 REPLIES 15

Mom_s_Folly
Explorer
Explorer
I wondered if I could hook a camera cable to my Magellan?

HUNTERJEFF
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone use the masterlock back up camera?

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
gorohoff wrote:
If tried this with a GoPro, it would only be mounted temporarily while driving, and removed the rest of the time.

However, at $14.27 something like Simplygib suggests makes a lot more sense. I guess I didn't realize how incredibly cheap video cameras had gotten. Actually thanks to Simplygib's post, I just found out that Amazon.com has a back up camera buying guide.

It is amazing how cheap they've gotten.

Just a note for anyone contemplating buying that $14.27 camera. It claims to be waterproof, but several reviewers reported it leaking and water getting inside the lens cover. As a precaution I took mine apart (two very small phillips screws) and caulked the gasket between the two halves. No problems so far despite rain and several washings.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, go to. www.veise.com For Wireless Camera systems of 1 to 4 cameras

Connect camera at rear of Truck Camper to clearance lights, and attach small antennae.

Connect small tv monitor on dash in position to your liking, and connect to 12v power.

Rear camera works when high or low beam headlights are turned on.

Monitor activates when turned on, and switch to camera position required.

Rear vision is constant, not just when reversing. So you can see how close vehicles
are behind you, or about to pass, or vision when reversing.

Veise is a Chinese manufacturer, selling direct to public. Pricing & quality are very good.

I have had my system 2 years with faultless operation and dose not have wires from front
to rear camera(s).

Check them out, Doug.
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
If tried this with a GoPro, it would only be mounted temporarily while driving, and removed the rest of the time.

However, at $14.27 something like Simplygib suggests makes a lot more sense. I guess I didn't realize how incredibly cheap video cameras had gotten. Actually thanks to Simplygib's post, I just found out that Amazon.com has a back up camera buying guide.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
You may find this thread helpful.
Rear view Camera For Ford Super Duty
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GoPro, but it's an older, lesser-expensive model. It will stream directly to a monitor, but it only has about a 45-minute battery life in video mode. Video is excellent - HD quality (or not, depending on settings). It can be wired to a power source, but input is 5v (USB). Also, not sure whether or not you can set them to come on automatically when power is detected. Mine has to be turned on manually, which would be a pain as a backup camera. The newer ones have remotes which could be used to turn it on and off, but I prefer a backup camera to go on and off with the ignition. Others prefer to wire it into the truck's backup lights so it only comes on when in reverse.

If you can wire another camera to your existing rear-view monitor, that would be the least expensive way to go. I have one of these which works great, but doesn't have the infra red night vision (I have rear flood lights so don't need it). Has RCA jacks to connect power and a monitor.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
It sounds like a good temporary idea, but can you mount a gopro so it isn't easily taken?

I'm thinking that you would only want to mount it while hitching up and then take it off and put it back in the TV for when you need to hitch up again.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like a good temporary idea, but can you mount a gopro so it isn't easily taken?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TheCodeMonk
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the gopro's with wireless can do it (or any non-wireless one can do it with the wifi bacpac accessory), it's common enough that most action cameras have this capability now with smartphone apps.

However, using those seems like a really expensive way to go for it when there are probably cheaper alternatives out there.

All that said, if you just really want an action cam, definitely get one. You can get some awesome shots and it can be helpful in troubleshooting suspension things (hook it underneath, start recording, drive around to reproduce the problem, review video).
1996 F250 SRW, Ext-Cab, 8' Bed, 4x4, 7.5L(460)/Auto(E40D), 4.10 Gears, LSD rear.
- Happijac Tiedown

1987 Western Wilderness Alpine (9ft)

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like only the newer GoPro 3 cameras will do it. It's a good idea perhaps if you already have a GoPro or want one, otherwise a $50 camera seems like the way to go (didn't realize they were that cheap).

I still kind of want one of those GoPro cameras though.
-Andrew

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
You need to check which Go Pro will do wireless. I am under the impression that only the Black will but might be wrong.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Texasfour
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wireless camera/monitor https://www.swifthitch.com/.

Have found MANY uses for it as the camera has a magnetic base and monitor is about size of phone. All is wireless and monitor is handheld. I use to back in to storage alone, back up to see when my tires are at the chocks, also see how close to branches too. Many uses beyond the intended help to seeing while hitching.

Rich

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I wired a camera on my 2011 ford f350. Total cost was around $50. I ordered a camera cable from ford and a cheap button hole camera from eBay. Wired the camera to the cable. I'll get some pictures tomorrow if you want.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH